Gen 5 Camaro Power-Adder Tech Supercharger, Turbo, Nitrous
View Poll Results: TVS2300 or Eforce on a 100% stock L99 A6 ??
TVS2300
66.67%
E-FORCE
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharging the L99 A6 Q & A

Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharging the L99 A6 Q & A

Try not to make this a place for your advertisement, "IT'S REALLY ANNOYING!!"

but rather a source of information for all interested in supercharging their 2010 Camaro.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

Hello All,

I asked these questions in another forum and got some good results. So I thought I would ask them here to get as much information as possible, and to help others who have the same questions. So if you belong to the other forum please don't be annoyed with this post. If you haven't seen my post on the other site please give us your two cents !

I'd like to put a supercharger on my car someday. Probably the Magnuson TVS2300 (90% sure) or the Edelbrock (10% chance) , but please give me your opinions and choices.

So I'm doing the research for it now so when the time comes. I want to leave the car as stock as possible. Just bolt on a supercharger.

So I'm looking for a clean, safe, complete, easy install kit. A no brainer! Send links !

Also, I really don't want to blow up my tranny or rear end, and I don't want to crack my car.

Here is my plan for many reasons like money and warantee. I plan to enjoy the car the way it is new until it is paid for and the warantees expire. If I can wait that long! So I'll have anywhere between 30k miles to 60K miles on my car when I get my supercharger. They might even have better stuff by then, but that's not important for this thread.

After Bumblebee is paid for, and there are no more warantees, on goes the supercharger to a 100% bone stock factory car. I want the car to last for the long haul.

The only other mods I would even consider for my car are a CAI, an Xpipe, and shorty headers.

But this thread is about bolting on a supercharger to a 100% bone stock factory car so lets not get too distracted with other stuff. However, why is it after adding headers to an already supercharged car that you have lower a boost level?

I have a bunch of questions !! !! !!

Please take the time to read my question and answer the ones you know the answers to even if someone else did. The more knowledge the better !!

Links & Pictures are great too! Thank you !!

Don't be shy!! Even if someone already answered the same thing. Your opinion is valued ! I like to hear multiple opinions of the same thing to reinforce the idea or of different ideas to get people thinking.

But don't get into a opinion war just answer my post or send me a PM if someone is misinformed so we don't get off topic, but I'd like as much info on the thread as possible for reference purposes for myself and for others who want to know the same things. I've actually gone back here to my original post to tweak it a bit as you guys post responses.

First does the AFM on the L99 have to be turned off? what happeneds when boost for 8 cylinders gets pushed into 4 cylinders when the AFM is on? or are those valves open and just no fuel is being pumped in? If that's the case wouldn't a supercharger dry the cylinder walls?

If the AFM needs to be turned off, do the AFM lifters need to be swaped out?

I like the superchargers that go on the top of the motor mostly for the look like the Magnuson TVS2300.

From what I understand the ones that bolt on like alternators like procharger and vortec claim to get more power because they can run intercoolers or because the run cooler. Give me the pros and cons of both types of systems.

Does GM honor the factory warantees with the the Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Street Legal Kit For Camaro ? I don't think they do !
(meaning this one does not void the GM 5y/100,000m warantee)

What are the HP & torque ratings with 6 psi of boost on a stock L99??

Which supercharger is the easiest to maintain? and lasts the longest?

So I don't have to mess with it? Set it and forget it !

Which one can use the factory airbox? Does anything have to be moved?

What is a SAFE bolt on option that won't blow up anything on my car?

What is a SAFE level of boost for the motor, tranny, and rear end?

Can the motor, tranny, rear end handle 500lbs of torque and 550-570HP for the long run ??

My car will probably have 30K-60K miles on it when I do the install. Will the supercharger be safe to put on a car with 30K to 60K miles on it?

Which kits require no modifications or the least modifications?

Will I have to make spark plug temp and thermostat changes?

Will the stock fuel system need to be modified for my goals?

Which will I be able to get parts for the easiest? and for years?

Can I keep the traction control system ??

Are they all liquid cooled ??

Which kits are you all using ?

What will it run at the track with 6 psi of boost?

Is the thing noisy ? I'd like a quiet one.

What kind of fuel milage will I get?

Who have you purchased from? or would you purchase from?

How much did your supercharger cost you start to finish??

Any regrets ???? Final tips or Suggestions ?

1/4 MILE TRACK TIMES

What will the car run with a TVS2300 @ 6psi with the Magnuson tune that comes with the unit on a 100% stock 2010 camaro ss?
(more or less, or estimates)

What will that same car do with the TVS2300, CAI, tune, & short headers?
(more or less, or estimates)

TRACTION CONTROL ISSUES

What happeneds to a 2010 supercharged camaro ss L99 A6 with 6psi of boost when you floor it with the traction control in the "on" position?

Does is just not go anywhere?

Does it go and then bog down?

Does it go better than stock?

Is it a pain/annoying to drive?

TUNE QUESTIONS

Right now the car has two modes "D" & "S";

Can you have one tune for the "D" mode & one tune for the "S" mode ??

What happends to those two modes after the maggie tune?

What happends to those two modes after any tune?

Do the "D" & "S" modes get lost in the tune?

Which mode does the tune reside?

Thanks for all the great answers! If anyone else wants to answer those questions feel free to post your answers ! More info & opinions are welcome

I think my first step will be to reinforce the car first.

None of the reinforcements should void my warantee, I think.

And they probably need to be done anyway.

What should I do you reinforce the car first??? See my other thread-

Post some pics of your supercharged 2010 L99 camaros.

Below I'm going to post a bunch of links to different superchager kits for ease of information.

Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Street Legal Kit For Camaro

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...argers/camaro/

Magnuson TVS2300 Intercooled Supercharger Camaro SS LS3, L99 2010 Black

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...&Category_Code

2010 Camaro L99 ProCharger High Output Intercooled P1SC Kit (7 PSI)

http://www.buygmperformance.com/prod...-Shipping.html

2010 Camaro Tvs 2300 Supercharger, 6Lbs Of Boost Black Finish

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SLP-90410

2010 Camaro SS Magnacharger Intercooled Supercharger Kit

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=3299

2010 Camaro SS SLP Supercharger TVS 2300 Black Finish (6 psi) Cold-Air/Programmer 575HP

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=3066

2010+ Camaro SS 6.2L V8 Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Supercharger Kit (Satin Finish)

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=3580

Vortech Releases Supercharger Kit for L99 Camaro

http://gmtunersource.com/index.php/b...for-l99-camaro

Magnuson TVS2300 Intercooled Supercharger Camaro SS LS3, L99

http://www.shopwiki.com/Magnuson+TVS...er+Coat+Finish

A list of a bunch of them

http://jreperformanceparts.com/gm/20...s.html?cat=119

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/cat...superchargers/

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...th=561_583_593
Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

alot of things will change over the next 5yrs it takes to pay off the car... i'm sure u will see all ur questions answered over the next 5yrs, plus u will get to see many new parts come around that may even be better...
Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by someday
alot of things will change over the next 5yrs it takes to pay off the car... i'm sure u will see all ur questions answered over the next 5yrs, plus u will get to see many new parts come around that may even be better...
How true ! If I can wait that long. I want it now ! My warantee is the only thing standing in the way.

By the time I get one they should have any issues worked out. Also enough people will know exactly what breaks and how long things really last.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

give it a year or 2 for people and tuners both to work out all the bugs. theres still no real tuning for the A6
Old 05-04-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will only try to answer a few of your questions as you have many. It sounds like you will want one of the TVS style roots blowers as they are fairly reliable. They also dont take up much space, goes right in place of your intake manifold. Most have an air to water intercooler. The Vortech & Procharger units are centrifugal blowers, look similar to a turbo.They take up more space as you have to mount it somewhere in the engine compartment along with the intercooler core. These types are known for making more power as they run cooler than a roots blower but not as reliable. You also have to run an oil line from your engine to this so a port would have to be drilled in the oil pan for the oil return. TVS blowers have their own seperate fill plug for adding oil. Most superchargers make noise, the CSC type sound similar to a turbo, Eaton blowers make blower whine & the TVS blowers are fairly quiet. Most kits will include everything you will need including bigger injectors, some may or may not include a tuner. Headers are a recommended mod for any supercharger install. They may lower boost some but give you better flow to prevent knock which is a good thing. Blowers create heat & anything you can do to reduce that will be better for your engine & prevent piston damage. You want your setup knock free. If you have knock, it pulls timing so you lose power when that happens. An aeroforce gauge with a wideband o2 sensor is also a good idea on a boosted car to let you know what your air fuel ratio is & your knock reading. A boost gauge is a good thing to have as well. The TVS style blower sounds ideal for what you are trying to accomplish. Its a very simple, well integrated setup IMO.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tainted
give it a year or 2 for people and tuners both to work out all the bugs. theres still no real tuning for the A6
Surprised to hear that? My friend's been tuning the A6's in the C6, G8, Camaro and even my '10 Yukon Denali.. He had a GM Engineer train him and 1 tech at his shop. I remember the guy flew in and it costs plenty of $$$ but it was well worth it, IMO. I'll have to ask him about that one.

PS his Camaro is an auto with a procharger.. And it's stupid fast.. He switched from a maggie to a procharger on his G8 as well and that is also ridiculous. Should be high 10's, ran 11.14 @124 & 11.17 @126 with the maggie 1900 (stock heads, lingenfelter gt2/3 2800 vig & SLP LT's stock exhaust) Now has american racing headers 1 7/8" procharger, forged engine, port work, bigger valves.. and a BIG cam lol

Just spoke to him, forget he ran the camaro recently, 1.82 60' stock converter went 11.10 @128 and 11.17 @127 nittos on the rear. When we checked the car at the shop a few days later we realized the cats blew into and 3/4 clogged the pipes. Opened it up and should be in the 10's eeeeeasy.

Last edited by TonyGXP; 05-04-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 PM

Here is a video of a maggie install on horsepower tv for all those still learning like myself-

http://www.spike.com/full-episode/20...n-camaro/35955

Last edited by 2010 Bumblebee; 05-13-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 AM

I called a place that installs superchargers. They said they only put them on new cars and they would have to do a leak down test on a "used" car, my 2010 camaro.

So I'm wondering how long is it before a supercharged street engine starts to get blow by? 36,000 miles?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharging the L99 A6 Q & A