Gen 5 Camaro Power-Adder Tech Supercharger, Turbo, Nitrous

Boost a pumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost a pumps

I want to open this for discussion. The only experience I ever had with one of these was a Kenne Bell on a turbo buick. It was a POS. Now, it seems like on the 5thgen camaros they are gold again. You still here of cases of them failing and going radically when they do. I am curious though if one was used sensibly with a ZL1 pump and you didn't drive the pump circuit more than 15v if it would stay solid. For instance, I hit a 3psi drop on fuel pressure on my car when we dropped to the 3.19 pulley. Granted I am on 65# injectors so we know inj were maxed there too. My fuel setup is an adm fpcm and a zl1 pump. We know that combo works to 700 whp man, 650 whp auto. Thus, we put my car back on the 3.33 pulley and made 654whp and it kept solid on the street with fuel psi to boot. There are shops saying you can break the 700whp hump with a boost a pump stabilizing voltage...yet I know electronics well enough to know over driving a circuit by simply putting in a bigger fuse and letting it eat with a step up transformer makes heat and makes for a shorter fuse. Am I over precautionary here?
This is why I left the car where it was, I would rather it be safe than chance it. I now have a friend asking me BAP questions and I just figured I would chunk it out here for us to discuss.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

There are a lot of Cobra guys running BAPs too successfully.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

I'm using 3 weldons with 3 boost a pumps. never a problem.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Bo...I know...that's what got me wondering. The msd being programmable also makes me think. I bought an Alky kit that will go on my car that I know will put me in a solid place on current pulley. Like I said, we needed some convo here and after someone asking I just figured I would post it.
Ryan said they have successfully done a nice aero motive pump set Up as well now.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Glad I never fully removed my bap. I guess you never know.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the kenne bell bap's. Seen 2 msd's fail already. I have no problem running one.

Ray's pic made me laugh though. Never seen someone run a setup like that.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

What's the diff in kb vs msd? Kb programmable via laptop or dials? Both use a boost ref signal, right?

Quick Reply: Boost a pumps