Gen 5 Camaro Special Edition Vehicles ZL1 | Z28 | 1LE

Camaro ZL1 Goals

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Camaro ZL1 Goals

I've been around the Camaro5 forums and here to learn as much as I can about the ZL1. I've posted in many other threads and came up with a plan of what I am willing to do to the car and what my goals are. After doing some reading, it appears there is quite a bit you can do to this car quite easily to make a substantial amount of power.

I DON'T want to change the drivability or mannerisms of the car AT ALL. I want the car to drive like stock, until you punch it. I also want the car to be as reliable as a stock car, if that's possible. I want to be able to take it on road trips, cruises, spirited drives and to the drag strip without having to worry about a thing. I don't want to have to constantly log A/F ratios and have to always be checking to make sure everything is working properly. I want to simply enjoy it the way I would be able to enjoy a stock ZL1, just with the added power.

My power goals are to be able to trap around 130mph in the quarter mile. It doesn't have to be exact, but I'd like OVER 125mph, the closer to 130, the better.

To make this possible, my ideas for mods based on what I've learned and read on the forums are the following:

-Roto-fab intake and Vmax ported TB

-ARH 1 7/8 long tube headers with high flow cats

-8.6" (10%) OD pulley

-2.55" supercharger pulley (or heartbeat blower) I'd like the end result to be
14psi whether it's with the heartbeat or the stock blower. I'm considering the heartbeat for the intercoolers and efficiency. I don't want to push the stock blower near it's limits.

-ID850 fuel injectors

-LS9 cam with LS9 valve train (valves, springs etc). I DO NOT want to remove the heads so head work is not an option. I chose the LS9 because of it's complete stock like behavior and decent power gains.

Now my questions are, will the following modifications allow me to reach my trap speed goals AS WELL AS my drivability goals? Are my goals unreasonable? What kind of RWHP would these modifications bring the car to and how much do you think is needed for my goals?

And finally, is any other part of the car going to be pushed to the edge with this sort of power? Will the fuel pump be able to handle the power these modifications will make?

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited by Blackdevil77; 03-24-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackdevil77
I've been around the Camaro5 forums and here to learn as much as I can about the ZL1. I've posted in many other threads and came up with a plan of what I am willing to do to the car and what my goals are. After doing some reading, it appears there is quite a bit you can do to this car quite easily to make a substantial amount of power.

I DON'T want to change the drivability or mannerisms of the car AT ALL. I want the car to drive like stock, until you punch it. I also want the car to be as reliable as a stock car, if that's possible. I want to be able to take it on road trips, cruises, spirited drives and to the drag strip without having to worry about a thing. I don't want to have to constantly log A/F ratios and have to always be checking to make sure everything is working properly. I want to simply enjoy it the way I would be able to enjoy a stock ZL1, just with the added power.

My power goals are to be able to trap around 130mph in the quarter mile. It doesn't have to be exact, but I'd like OVER 125mph, the closer to 130, the better.

To make this possible, my ideas for mods based on what I've learned and read on the forums are the following:

-Roto-fab intake and Vmax ported TB

-ARH 1 7/8 long tube headers with high flow cats

-8.6" (10%) OD pulley

-2.55" supercharger pulley (or heartbeat blower) I'd like the end result to be
14psi whether it's with the heartbeat or the stock blower. I'm considering the heartbeat for the intercoolers and efficiency. I don't want to push the stock blower near it's limits.

-ID850 fuel injectors

-LS9 cam with LS9 valve train (valves, springs etc). I DO NOT want to remove the heads so head work is not an option. I chose the LS9 because of it's complete stock like behavior and decent power gains.

Now my questions are, will the following modifications allow me to reach my trap speed goals AS WELL AS my drivability goals? Are my goals unreasonable? What kind of RWHP would these modifications bring the car to and how much do you think is needed for my goals?

And finally, is any other part of the car going to be pushed to the edge with this sort of power? Will the fuel pump be able to handle the power these modifications will make?

Thanks in advanced!

With one of our (Futral Motorsports) customers cars which holds the ZL1 Bolt-on's Record at 10.14 @ 137.13 it ran 10.55 @ 129 with Stainless Works 2" LT's, Roto-fab intake, 9.17" (18%) OD pulley, ID850 fuel injectors and Hand Ported TB on 18" M/T drag radials.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by trw427ssrs
With one of our (Futral Motorsports) customers cars which holds the ZL1 Bolt-on's Record at 10.14 @ 137.13 it ran 10.55 @ 129 with Stainless Works 2" LT's, Roto-fab intake, 9.17" (18%) OD pulley, ID850 fuel injectors and Hand Ported TB on 18" M/T drag radials.
Wow, maybe I don't have to mess with a cam at all! What did it have when it trapped 137?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackdevil77
Wow, maybe I don't have to mess with a cam at all! What did it have when it trapped 137?
Here is the complete list of mods it has now.

9.17 lower
2" Stainless Works Headers
Full 3" exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers
Squash Dual Pump
80 lb/hr FIC injectors
Yank ZL1 Triple Disc Converter
Rotofab Resevoir
RX Superchiller
New Era ported blower and snout
Nick Williams 102mm TB
2.55 upper pulley
Custom 4 1/2" CAI
BMR toe arms, trailing arms and bushings in the rear
CCW Drag Pack
Tuning by Futral Motorsports
Old 03-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by trw427ssrs
Here is the complete list of mods it has now.

9.17 lower
2" Stainless Works Headers
Full 3" exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers
Squash Dual Pump
80 lb/hr FIC injectors
Yank ZL1 Triple Disc Converter
Rotofab Resevoir
RX Superchiller
New Era ported blower and snout
Nick Williams 102mm TB
2.55 upper pulley
Custom 4 1/2" CAI
BMR toe arms, trailing arms and bushings in the rear
CCW Drag Pack
Tuning by Futral Motorsports
Oh wow, I don't want to go that crazy. I'll stick with the long tubes, intake, tb, 9.17" pulley and tune. If I trap 129 with that set up, I'd be MORE than happy.

Quick Reply: Camaro ZL1 Goals