Gen 5 Camaro Tuning, Diagnostics, Dyno results Tuning problems, solutions, dyno results for Gen 5 Camaro

Question: Who knows the most about 2010 Camaro GMLAN system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question: Who knows the most about 2010 Camaro GMLAN system?

Is there anyone on the this forum who is very knowledgeable about complete GMLAN systems for current 2010 GM/Camero electrical systems? I'm not talking about tuning the ECM or DTCs, I want to chat with someone who knows or has worked with the GMLAN serial bus communications between modules. Have any of you used Intrepid Controls hardware/"Vehicle Spy 3" or Drew technologies hardware?.

Thanks.

Joe
Old 08-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Teching In

A lot of members have viewed my posting, but no one on this forum has worked with GMLAN systems? Unbelievable!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people dont and wont have to. Vehicle bus communications is something done at GM. If they people working on the cars knew anything about it then you would have plenty of people changing control modules etc over to other cars that and other manufacturers seeing how you do things and copying you so they dont have to waste money on r and d etc.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tijoe
A lot of members have viewed my posting, but no one on this forum has worked with GMLAN systems? Unbelievable!
You should probably spell out what it is you are trying to accomplish before declaring you wish to chat with someone. Anyone with these capabilities is likely a little busy to find time to chat about what they do.....kinda like the guys in the engineering office next to me.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
You should probably spell out what it is you are trying to accomplish before declaring you wish to chat with someone. Anyone with these capabilities is likely a little busy to find time to chat about what they do.....kinda like the guys in the engineering office next to me.
Ditto. Depends really what you want to know as to what the answer is.

GM Global A electrical systems architecture is not exactly straightforward.

Unless you are GM the info is hard earned.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Teching In

I CANned the 2010 Camaro control system and am now using 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GXP control modules for my LS3 w/M6 swap. 2008-2009 GM control systems may the the last GM CAN system swappers will be able to use, other than the ECMs. Going forward, the new Global A architecture/security control modules are so dependent on each other that it is all or nothing control module wise.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

I CANned the 2010 Camaro control system and am now using 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GXP control modules for my LS3 w/M6 swap. 2008-2009 GM control systems may the the last GM CAN system swappers will be able to use, other than the ECMs. Going forward, the new Global A architecture/security control modules are so dependent on each other that it is all or nothing control module wise.
You got it. Unless the majority of the vehicle system is transplanted. G8 and Camaro for example. Both Global A.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rsz288
You got it. Unless the majority of the vehicle system is transplanted. G8 and Camaro for example. Both Global A.
As far as I can tell, the G8 does not use the Global architecture. In the G8, the peripheral control modules that are linked to the BCM do not have the Global A security features. The G8 is not on the current list of Global A vehicles.

-2010 Camaro
-2010 LaCrosse
-2010 Equinox
-2010 Terrain
-2010 SRX

More GM's lines will have Global A in 2011.
I read somewhere that by 2012 all GM cars will be Global A based.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

As far as I can tell, the G8 does not use the Global architecture. In the G8, the peripheral control modules that are linked to the BCM do not have the Global A security features. The G8 is not on the current list of Global A vehicles.

-2010 Camaro
-2010 LaCrosse
-2010 Equinox
-2010 Terrain
-2010 SRX

More GM's lines will have Global A in 2011.
I read somewhere that by 2012 all GM cars will be Global A based.
Ok cool. A GM guy I know mentioned that it was developed with global A in mind but i never asked him if it was classed as true global A - and if that means specific security features it makes sense. It certainly is pretty close to global A and having been through a 10 Camaro wiring and module setup in the car in detail, as well as G8, it's pretty close to identical to G8.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Teching In

There isn't that much being published about GM's Global Design approach currently being implemented around the world. The main reference to what they are doing is called "Global Architecture" This involves a commonality of design around the world for all of their products. One sub-set of this is supposedly a new "global approach" to designing their vehicle control systems and the software that goes in the modules. One lower level system in the new software approach is called "Global A Electrical Architecture security" This is the best reference I've found that states what they are doing with the control modules.

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/feb2010techlink.pdf

The G8 may have been designed under the new global Architecture standards/process, but the G8s do not have "Global A security"

This is a good thing for what I am doing in my swap project.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try Jessie at Wait 4 Me. He has fitted BCM and ECU from C5 into GTM with onstar, central locking etc working.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Teching In

Have any of you used Intrepid Controls hardware/"Vehicle Spy 3" or Drew technologies hardware?.

Thanks.

Joe
Might want to find a good local Chevy dealer willing to work with you and use a tech 2.

Quick Reply: Question: Who knows the most about 2010 Camaro GMLAN system?