Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Camaro Convertible on Hold!!??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 01:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro Convertible on Hold!!??

I don't know if this has been posted here yet, but the January 2009 issue of Motor Trend is reporting that the mid-year Camaro convertible has been put on hold probably until the 2011 model year.....depending on how well GM does during this economic downturn.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:29 AM
Launching!

Of course it is...

You don't throw money at an niche part of a niche market, when the walls are coming down around you.

Hell, I'm just waiting for them to announce the cancellation of the Camaro, altogether.

Well, at least there'll be one in Transformers II.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

I thought the convertible was coming out towards the end of the 2010 model year as a 2011 anyways. GM has MILLIONS OF DOLLARS tied up in the Camaro at this point. They made their bed with the Camaro and they have to live with it atleast long enough to get some of their money out of it.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EnfuegoZ28
I thought the convertible was coming out towards the end of the 2010 model year as a 2011 anyways. GM has MILLIONS OF DOLLARS tied up in the Camaro at this point. They made their bed with the Camaro and they have to live with it atleast long enough to get some of their money out of it.

GM's got BILLIONS tied up the Pontiac & Saturn brands, too, but that's not stopping them from putting a bullet in their head.

THEY'RE OUT OF $$$ and they're going to cut out anything that doesn't have the possibility of selling and since they don't truly understand what sells or how to sell what they have they're going to freak and make more bad decisions, like killing off my newest dream car.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually wouldn't be shocked IF GM does pull the plug.

They do have a lot tied up in the Camaro... but in the face of needing a government bailout..... they may wind up trimming just about anything that isn't small & fuel efficient.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess we will see how the Big 3 finish out the year..... they have alot more issues to deal with then just vehicle specific trim levels.

Warrentee means squat if they go out of biz....

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 12-03-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

oh well, they made **** poor decisions now live with them.

I wouldnt dare buy any american cars right now. why would you even buy one from them knowing if they go bankrupt your warranty and everything else goes poof.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
oh well, they made **** poor decisions now live with them.

I wouldnt dare buy any american cars right now. why would you even buy one from them knowing if they go bankrupt your warranty and everything else goes poof.
And that right there is going to cause them even more problems. "Don't buy them because of the chance of them disappearing" is potentially a self-fulfilling prophecy

Chapter 11 doesn't mean warranty goes poof
Old 12-03-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

They won't pull the plug on the Camaro. They already have plans of closing upwards of 2000 dealerships and plan on selling Saab and Hummer as well as sell or completely kill off Saturn. They also are planning on reducing the workforce by 20,000-30,000. They realize the need to focus on the core brands Chevy, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, and while there will be alot more emphasis on fuel efficient cars and crossovers, killing off the Camaro wouldn't really show a focus on the core brand since so much is tied up in the vehicle.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO

Chapter 11 doesn't mean warranty goes poof
You are correct, its called restructuring with the hopes to succeed. Unfotunately there has been so many mistakes, the brand is wounded and most Americans dont even make enough money to live, let alone save, or spend on luxuary items.....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/...uto/index.html

When they 1st came to the hill they requested 24 billion, now its 34..... where does it stop.

Anyone here would do well to read and may I point out the part talking about making american cars and american car replacement parts in OTHER COUNTRIES. Its the manufacturing jobs that create the $$$ that the locals spend on goods and services.

My Wife's HHR, Made in Mexico
My Trans Am, Made in Canada

Get the pic?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Warrentee means squat if they go out of biz....
My engine will probably be out of the car before it hits 1000 miles so I'm not too worried about warrantee. LOL

I plan on putting a set of twins on it immediately after documenting the performance "as delivered" and then putting in another engine thats already ready and waiting shortly there after
Old 12-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Teching In

well
Tough times delay the Chevrolet Camaro Convertible…again

General Motors isn’t in the greatest of financial situations right now, which has forced the Detroit automaker to push back some of its new car introductions. Because GM has already delayed some very important vehicle launches – such as the new Buick LaCrosse and Chevrolet Cruze – it comes as no surprise that GM will also wait to launch some of its niche market vehicles.

According to Motor Trend, the economic slowdown has forced GM to delay the introduction of its Camaro Convertible. Earlier this year it was reported that the Camaro Convertible would be delayed by six months, but it looks as though that delay has been extended to at least 12 months, if not longer.

The drop-top version of the revived muscle car was originally slated to hit the market about a year after its fixed-roof counterpart – sometime in the first part of 2010 – but those plans have been put on hold indefinitely.

The Camaro Convertible program hasn’t been completely cancelled like Chrysler’s aborted Challenger Convertible, but the open air car is certainly on life support at this point. GM has vowed only to move forward with the Camaro Convertible after its financial situation has improved, which means we likely won’t see the Camaro Convertible until at least 2011.

Looks like Ford’s Mustang will still have part of the pony car segment on lock down after all
Old 12-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

I don't think they will pull the plug on the Camaro. Assuming there is a demand for it. They have done a lot of research and development, and even a lot of hype on this car just to cancel it? Its only 2-3 months from production as well.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Internet Mechanic

One thing you will see by next year is one of the major companies going out of biz or merging The question is what models or even brands will get the axe.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

oh well, although it may be the "wrong" thing to do I wouldnt buy a new gm product even if I had the money. If they werent talking about bankruptcy and all that sure but not right now.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dimitry
well
Tough times delay the Chevrolet Camaro Convertible…again

General Motors isn’t in the greatest of financial situations right now, which has forced the Detroit automaker to push back some of its new car introductions. Because GM has already delayed some very important vehicle launches – such as the new Buick LaCrosse and Chevrolet Cruze – it comes as no surprise that GM will also wait to launch some of its niche market vehicles.

According to Motor Trend, the economic slowdown has forced GM to delay the introduction of its Camaro Convertible. Earlier this year it was reported that the Camaro Convertible would be delayed by six months, but it looks as though that delay has been extended to at least 12 months, if not longer.

The drop-top version of the revived muscle car was originally slated to hit the market about a year after its fixed-roof counterpart – sometime in the first part of 2010 – but those plans have been put on hold indefinitely.

The Camaro Convertible program hasn’t been completely cancelled like Chrysler’s aborted Challenger Convertible, but the open air car is certainly on life support at this point. GM has vowed only to move forward with the Camaro Convertible after its financial situation has improved, which means we likely won’t see the Camaro Convertible until at least 2011.

Looks like Ford’s Mustang will still have part of the pony car segment on lock down after all
I don't know where these journalists are getting thier info, but its not correct. The convertible has always been scheduled for release approx. 1 year after the coupe. That schedule has always been Dec. 2009 for start of production. The only thing that may have changed is the year model designation. Will it be called a 2010 or a 2011? Either way, its still on schedule.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by txturbo
I don't know where these journalists are getting thier info, but its not correct. The convertible has always been scheduled for release approx. 1 year after the coupe. That schedule has always been Dec. 2009 for start of production. The only thing that may have changed is the year model designation. Will it be called a 2010 or a 2011? Either way, its still on schedule.

Although that may have been the original plan and that what was intended, we will see if that comes to fruition.

My bet I would see is Chrysler getting snuffed out 1st, Ford has such a massive fleet service which local/state/federal govt uses and GM has been the industry standard. What you will see is a major reshuffling of that deck over the next 6 months.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

There is no way that GM can afford to kill the Camaro right now. They have WAY too much money tied up in it to just stop. They have suppliers, robots, machines, employees, and many other resources tied up in this car. As far as I know they were planning from the start to release the convertible 12 months after the release of the coupe. As stated before we will have to wait to see how all 3 finish the year. I do find it interesting that the CEOs of Ford and GM both said they would be willing to work for $1 per year IF the government gave them the "Bailout" money. If they were actually concerned about their companies I would think they would have lowered their own salaries already.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

GM would be stupid to Kill the Camaro now. They'd be better of selling Hummer and SAAB, kill Saturn, and go on from there. Chevy will be the flagship brand until the end, the flagship brand needs cars that people are interested in buying, and reasons to bring people in to the dealership. But now what's going to hamper them too is that it's about time for some Re-designs to keep them from falling more behind the Japs. GM deserves their fate for as much as the execs. were just raking the money into their pockets always seemingly thinking that it was still the 80's and early 90's when they couldn't be brought down and just produce something without advertising, or top quality parts being put into the cars. I think the execs are in an oh **** mode right now knowing that at this rate the end is near and that means an end to their huge salaries. They are on Capitol Hill to save themselves not the company. As for GM & Chrysler merging, what would it accomplish? It'd take GM a good bit of money to do it, and Dodge is direct competition to Chevy, Jeep may have a bit of worth, and Chrysler is re-badged Dodges. Re-badging Dodges into Chevy's or Pontiac's would not be a very smart idea. Same goes for Chrysler's.

Last edited by 1 Bad Ass Formula; 12-18-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no delays, Camaro will not get canceled.

Camaro Convertible has always been planned for 2nd model year release!
Convertible production starts June 2010.

Quick Reply: Camaro Convertible on Hold!!??