Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Ford Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ford Camaro?

I recently heard talk of GM possibly declaring bankrupsy (among Wagner having been told to take a walk by Obama after GM was given their stimulus) while Ford is holding well.

So being that the new Camaro is practically finished off the assembly line but hasn't yet debuted at the dealerships, could such an event interfere with either sales or the Camaro trademark in any way? For example, if Ford acquired GM, could they call it 'Ford Camaro'?

Or for that matter, if such a merging occured, would it be more likely that GM technology would be integrated into new Ford designs or that they would be catalogued and just replaced with their designs instead?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Get off the crack pipe...

Even if Ford somehow did get parts of GM, do you REALLY think they'd let the Camaro live next to their mustang? Hardly.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Regular

So they would rather scrap the newly acquired and highly anticipated 2010 Camaro instead of collecting the profit that GM invested their money in prior?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:07 AM
WANNABE GENIUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford wants nothing more then GM to succeed but I dont think theyd go that far
Old 04-22-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ford is just barely above GM and Chrysler, they only had enough money to last till June, but I think they've managed to start turning it around, so they might make it through the year without asking for money, but I doubt it. If GM would stop begging for money and actually implement the things they are talking about and get rid of about 20% of their dealerships they'd be fine too. They're just procrastinating so they don't have to cut as much as they should .
Old 04-22-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

There is no chance of what you're describing happening. There was a good thread about GM bankruptcy in the news section, I think. Nothing really will happen that we will notice looking in from the outside. Camaro is safe, it seems at this time.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Here's the thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...iscussion.html

Read through that first.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Economics 101 dood
Old 04-24-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kain01
Ford is just barely above GM and Chrysler, they only had enough money to last till June, but I think they've managed to start turning it around, so they might make it through the year without asking for money, but I doubt it. If GM would stop begging for money and actually implement the things they are talking about and get rid of about 20% of their dealerships they'd be fine too. They're just procrastinating so they don't have to cut as much as they should .
Fords stock went up 1 dollar today to $5.50. And has 21 billion in cash. They are fine. And I'd rather see them buy Jeep or Corvette.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
Fords stock went up 1 dollar today to $5.50. And has 21 billion in cash. They are fine. And I'd rather see them buy Jeep or Corvette.
Just so you know, Ford mortgaged everything possible prior to the current situation, but their rate of cash burn is just as bad as everybody else. Ford is bleeding badly, and desperately trying to appear they are somehow unaffected by the dramatic drop in sales. Yeah right. The laws of economics don't apply to Ford. They did make smart choices to increase their cash prior to the crisis, give them credit for that. However, it is only borrowed money from tomorrow that they ultimately have to pay back.

Sadly, none of the American companies can afford to buy anything, more likely foreign companies would buy GM.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rayhawk
Just so you know, Ford mortgaged everything possible prior to the current situation, but their rate of cash burn is just as bad as everybody else. Ford is bleeding badly, and desperately trying to appear they are somehow unaffected by the dramatic drop in sales. Yeah right. The laws of economics don't apply to Ford. They did make smart choices to increase their cash prior to the crisis, give them credit for that. However, it is only borrowed money from tomorrow that they ultimately have to pay back.

Sadly, none of the American companies can afford to buy anything, more likely foreign companies would buy GM.
I'm always watching GM and Ford since I invest for a hobby. Ford has announced it will increase INCREASE production this year while GM is taking 9 weeks off shutting down plants for that time. Ford is doing great. They have 21 billion while GM is on life support.

Ford: Enterprise value is 151 Billion
Gm: Enterprise value is 33 Billion

So the smaller company Ford is worth five times more then GM. Now if Ford was like you say in just as bad of shape it would be worth less then GM, but as we see here it is worth five times more.

GM is at 1.51 per share
F common stock is 5.08
Again the smaller companies stock is almost five times stronger and rumors of dropping GM off the Dow 30 and replacing it with Ford even.

Oh yea Ford is in bad shape like GM. I'll laugh if Chrysler liquidates and Ford buy the Jeep brand.

Last edited by caseypayne69; 04-25-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Launching!

I'm always watching GM and Ford since I invest for a hobby. Ford has announced it will increase INCREASE production this year while GM is taking 9 weeks off shutting down plants for that time. Ford is doing great. They have 21 billion while GM is on life support.

Ford: Enterprise value is 151 Billion
Gm: Enterprise value is 33 Billion

So the smaller company Ford is worth five times more then GM. Now if Ford was like you say in just as bad of shape it would be worth less then GM, but as we see here it is worth five times more.

GM is at 1.51 per share
F common stock is 5.08
Again the smaller companies stock is almost five times stronger and rumors of dropping GM off the Dow 30 and replacing it with Ford even.

Oh yea Ford is in bad shape like GM. I'll laugh if Chrysler liquidates and Ford buy the Jeep brand.

Stock price takes into account the current situation, which is very bad for GM, I don't dispute GM is in bad shape. Ford is not at risk of near-term bankruptcy. Ford is losing a lot of money, that is all I was saying, of course they are in a better position today and are not in immediate trouble. From a rate of cash burn standpoint, Ford is in very bad shape, but based on the amount of available cash they have means they are currently looking good. Don't kid yourself though, that borrowed money is costing them a lot in monthly bills-hurting their cashflow and will ultimately catch up with them. I hope for all those involved sake that increased sales help this matter sooner rather than later (for Ford, GM, and Chrysler).

Look at GM's stock price in the past year-things can change very quickly. Ford was $8/share and GM was $20. Once they ran out of cash and could'nt borrow anything the stock plummeted. I hope Ford does'nt get there too, but if things remain like this, they will.

Personally I hope all the american companies get through this relatively intact, and could care less if GM is bigger than Ford or Ford is bigger than GM. It is just sad that industries that built this country are treated like they are useless and how willingly people in gov't and the media seem to be to concede this industry to foreign companies/countries.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

I just hate how the gov is **** on the car companies but just threw money at banks.
Right now GM has around 2 to 5 billion borrowing room, but that was 4 months ago. Ford has around 11 to 14 billion available borrowing room.

I'd like to see them all survive but I think Chysler is no more. I hope someone buys Dodge and Jeep though.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes they are doing better but as of Dec 08 they only had enough money to last them until June 09. They've yet to announce a profit in any quarter so they may have extended it a month or two, but they're still going to need money unless they start posting some profit.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just hate how the gov is **** on the car companies but just threw money at banks.
You're not the only one who feels this way, every dollar the government gives GM it watches like a hawk, but then throws another $60 billion at AIG no questions asked.

The government knows how hard it is to have a union make concessions too, remember the airtraffic controller thing in the 80's? Cut GM some slack
Old 04-26-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Given the economic environment and more importantly... Ford shedding money.... I would think Ford wouldn't want to buy anything..... at least unless what they would be buying is currently making money. Is Jeep making any profit currently?????
Old 04-26-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
Is Jeep making any profit currently?????
Seeing as Jeep is owned by Chrysler what do you think?

Quick Reply: Ford Camaro?