Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

If your going to post on Camaro5.com becarful

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is gradeschool over there, but it has the most comprehensive 5th gen information on the net.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by deft
It is gradeschool over there, but it has the most comprehensive 5th gen information on the net.
Comprehensive????

The mods don't even have a clue when it comes to basic technical discussions.
You have one in particular that is learning forced induction basics from a root blower rep and he practically fellates the guy in every thread.

Comprehensive my ***.
It's like the blind leading the blind when it comes to tech over there.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Ive never heard of that site until i read this so i decided to go check it out and when i got there i saw a post about a firebird so naturally I went in to check it out and this is what some one said

"The only way I would pay $10k is if it had the WS6 package (the T/A hood that you mentioned), otherwise I wouldn't pay no more then $7-8k."

i guess that extra 3000 ram air horse power is worth the extra 3k!!

Last edited by DCsLS1; 07-17-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=DCsLS1;11922488]

"The only way I would pay $10k is if it had the WS6 package (the T/A hood that you mentioned), otherwise I wouldn't pay no more then $7-8k."

QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHA......Thats awesome!!!! What a joker..
Old 07-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Don't start the SLP/Hamburger flames here. I like SLP, and never had a problem with Ed. He has always been helpful to the community. I just dislike the Firehawk G8.

...which, in reality, was another futile attempt by someone at Pontiac to salvage another struggling, too-late-to-market product...AGAIN...

Too little, too late, regardless...

As to Chev messing with the SS badge, seems to me they made 4000lb.+ Impalas...in the mid-'60's...with INLINE 6's...and SS equipment. Boy, they REALLY made the competition SWEAT, back then...

BTW, an HHR SS will flat embarrass about 90% of previous SS's (ALL varieties) in "showroom" trim...

Talk about "heritage"...

camaro5 is, in fact, a "specialized", semi-official site, full of enthusiasm and engineering minutiae. GM is paying attention to THAT site...

Last edited by PowerPro01; 07-17-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Rockstar

I went on there earlier and read through alot of the threads, and most of the people on there have no idea what they're talking about.
One dude even asked what a drivetrain was. lol.
And another guy in a V6 was whining about how ricers beat him easy. lmfao.
I'm almost tempted to get an account on there and put some people in their places.
I noticed a few of our members here joined over there as well.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I joined... but I am over here the majority of the time. That is site is almost as bad as the Corvette forum.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

lets just hope ls1tech dosent turn into them
Old 07-17-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

went once, havent gone back since
Old 07-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PowerPro01

As to Chev messing with the SS badge, seems to me they made 4000lb.+ Impalas...in the mid-'60's...with INLINE 6's...and SS equipment. Boy, they REALLY made the competition SWEAT, back then...

BTW, an HHR SS will flat embarrass about 90% of previous SS's (ALL varieties) in "showroom" trim...

Talk about "heritage"...
Yep, I always look for the juggernaut HHR SS emblems before I get to jumpy at the light. You cant be seriously comparing 40 year old cars to modern day machines.

Of all the eras to pick from you select the 60's as the years SS was just a name play. It was the 60's that made SS and Z28 famous for kickass cars when you had to watch out for the emblems. Try comparing each to the competition at the time.

You have to be a complete fanboy to believe GM didn't utilize the SS name to make a few bucks, but maybe they have learned there lesson. I'm sure it was some bean counters idea to make a quick buck.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

The SS badge is just a selling tool now a days. Like always with everything, you got to follow the money trail. Unfortunatley
Old 07-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss1129
Becareful if you post there. The mods dont like you speaking any truth unless its 100% positive. You have to love SLP and like any aftermarket part or photo someone posts about Camaros.

Apparently after like 5 posts I was banned and it said "you and your attitude are not welcome here".

Lets see, I posted a stock dyno run on a l99 to help a guy compare his stock run.

I posted that most of the time SLP is a rip and I felt that Ed Hamburg is a tool for the whole attempt at the Firehawk issue.

Then I didnt like some aftermarket fender that looked like a BMW and said it would look better on a G8. Plus they had some pics of a DUBBED out camaro in the works that looked like a DUB toy.

Anyways dont disagreee with anything anyone posts there. No warnings, no infractions, nothing.

And yes, I see that I spelled careful wrong in the title, I almost did it posting this too. I have sweet typing skills.
Thats funny...
I once said "Caveat Emptor" Let the Buyer beware, on a Hennessy thread and they deleted it....

They are a bit sensitive over there, but they do have some good info sometimes.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZeusTA
I have yet to post there, just joined it last week as I am looking at buying a 5th gen Camaro, but looks like I will be sticking to this site for most of my Q's as expected
Thats a good idea, this site is much more technical.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
I went on there earlier and read through alot of the threads, and most of the people on there have no idea what they're talking about.
One dude even asked what a drivetrain was. lol.
And another guy in a V6 was whining about how ricers beat him easy. lmfao.
I'm almost tempted to get an account on there and put some people in their places.
I noticed a few of our members here joined over there as well.
Theres someone trying to tell me that a new aftermarket exhaust needs to break-in "at the atomic level". LMAO
Old 07-19-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to knock their site too bad...

but as for most comprehensive tech resource in regards to non-interior and non-exterior cosmetics... you'll be very hard pressed to outdo LS1tech and g8board

Reason being... the LSx blocks they are using aren't some magical thing where they have unique knowledge of, if those people are just now thinking of it, it's already been done elsewhere.

As for the g8board inclusion. The camaro has a healthy bit in common with the G8 chassis from what I recall. So the aussie specifics from the G8 would be very useful. Further, I think the G8, Camaro, and CTSV2 all share the rear diff architecture(?). The TR6060 is out in the GT500, Viper, Vette, GXP, Challenger, etc. so nothing new there except the bad batch GM got.

There's nothing magical about camaro5 except if your looking at explicitly camaro only; but we're talking about a GM product here, there ain't too much that's unique.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69SS396

Of all the eras to pick from you select the 60's as the years SS was just a name play. It was the 60's that made SS and Z28 famous for kickass cars when you had to watch out for the emblems. Try comparing each to the competition at the time.

You have to be a complete fanboy to believe GM didn't utilize the SS name to make a few bucks, but maybe they have learned there lesson. I'm sure it was some bean counters idea to make a quick buck.
????????????????????????? So you mean to say exactly what?

In 1970, I drove a '66 VW Bug...with a 180hp "poked-n-stroked" Porsche Super 90 engine...that lived on a steady street diet of 4bbl GTOs and juice-cammed '96s and 390s 'n such... See, power-to-weight and "grip" generally win the day. Along with "stealth" 'n "abilities"... Without bumperettes, with FR70's on Porsche "painted" rims, the wee Black car ran 14's...consistently...something many a Big Block '69 struggled to, or never, accomplished...

My brother had a '69 L78 Nova, and I never beat him...but, then, he was always "ready"...
Old 07-19-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Corvetteforum has gone to absolute **** as well.

One of the first guys to get a Techco just got banned for life.
EVERYONE wanted to hear from the owner to see if the Techco was the real deal or not.
They ONLY made 500rwhp on 91 octane. BUT, they were ONLY running 6psi.
So, because the guy was banned, we'll never know if he told them to stop at 500rwhp or if something fishy is going on with the system.

Like I've said before, I think the internet forums are going to **** because of greed and censorship.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Main Entry: com·pre·hen·sive
Pronunciation: \-ˈhen(t)-siv\
Function: adjective
Date: 1614
1 : covering completely or broadly

Engine tech: not like this site, but good luck finding first hand experiences of someone swapping out the PDIM module on this site.

Originally Posted by 427C5
Comprehensive????

The mods don't even have a clue when it comes to basic technical discussions.
You have one in particular that is learning forced induction basics from a root blower rep and he practically fellates the guy in every thread.

Comprehensive my ***.
It's like the blind leading the blind when it comes to tech over there.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

that place is brutal--- it's more of a mustang forum than a camaro one.

Quick Reply: If your going to post on Camaro5.com becarful