Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

What's up with the paint??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up with the paint??

I love the new Camaro. One thing I noticed is that on everyone I've seen so far, the paint varies from panel to panel. I'm not talking about the finish, I'm talking about the color. GM must paint the car waaaay before assembly. I work at a Chevy dealership and have seen many Camaro's so far. Every single one featured 3 or 4 shades of the color it's painted. If you look on the passenger side, the quarter panel, fuel door, pass. door, and fender are all different colors. I've even noticed it on some of the cars pictured here. I just wished GM had a better process to assemble these beautiful cars, it a shame to see flaws this noticable. Am I the only one who's noticing this???
Old 08-09-2009, 08:24 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, it is because they paint the parts separately while the car is disassembled. Quality control is lacking in the paint department, and it seems worse on the brighter color metallic cars. Orange cars seem to be the worst, from the ones I've seen.

What is strange is that the Corvette is painted in the same manner, but they do a much better job of matching paint between panels.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

Are you kidding me? I've got to look more closely next time. Good ol' Chevrolet always manages to put a smile on my face.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Odd I haven't noticed.

Why don't they paint the panels for the car all at the same time? I'd think that would make the most sense.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure they paint the panels individually because this is the most efficient way to mass produce the car. It's possible that some or all of the panels are supplied by different suppliers and already painted when they receive them. I hadn't noticed this but have only seen a few in person. I will have to take a closer look next time I see one.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Yes, it is because they paint the parts separately while the car is disassembled. Quality control is lacking in the paint department, and it seems worse on the brighter color metallic cars. Orange cars seem to be the worst, from the ones I've seen.

What is strange is that the Corvette is painted in the same manner, but they do a much better job of matching paint between panels.
Probably the quality control varies from factory to factory depending on factors like plant managers, the tooling at each factory, and the people that work there.

ISO standards don't seem to mean much as I have toured various plants under several industries and plant to plant differences always stand out.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What they said^. Also plastic body panels and metal panels almost always look different in color. Been that way with every car I have owned.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
What they said^. Also plastic body panels and metal panels almost always look different in color. Been that way with every car I have owned.
Exactly !!!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have never noticed hmmmm..

Then again, took me up until recently that 4th gen front bumpers do not match the rest of the car either.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:23 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

5th gen paint match is far worse than 4th gen paint match. Not even close.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like it's something GM should pay close attention to and fix the problem. I can see customers getting annoyed with it soon....Seen a few threads on this subject elsewhere with the car.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Teching In

I have a 2007 Pontiac G5 bright yellow and when standing at or near rhe back the yekkow has 3 different shades; bumper, rear quarter, and spoiler. Been like that since I bought it new and it pisses me off everytime I look at it.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The other difficult factor is the body panels chage directiosn at or new a seam, which exaggerates a color change.

Take for example the body of the car is a Coke bottle shape, the fenders and quarter panels are at different angles of the doors, and the doors a different angle to the fenders.

Which depending on the angle "Could" make the panels look a different color . . .

Bumpers are differnt though . . .
Old 08-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Only because they are painted at diffrent locations. not because of it being plastic. The bumpers are always painted away from the plant at a diffrent location in bulk. Gas lids, hood scoops, and grills also People have always said its becuse its plastic. I paint for a living and when the car is painted all over at one time it matches.
Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
Old 08-12-2009, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

the yellow camaros are horrible.. its pretty funny how bad it is. the grey and black ones look great. i plan to purchase a black one, IF a z28 model comes out.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

You can paint the car in pieces if you use the paint from the same mix to paint it all. If not then you usually have issues. My fiances parents said when they seen a silver one recently it looked to be different shades.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Veteran

I wonder how the white ones will do? Hopefully, they wont have this issue for the '11.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Teching In

I have seen this alot on the new Camaro's! I really don't like them as much as I do the new Challenger's!Sorry but the rear of the car I just can't see the old Camaro's! Just looks to wide! Tires look big and not wide enough! Just my personal opinion! You won't see me buying one in the near future!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Launching!

I Co owned a custom paint shop last year, and can honestly say that the 2010's paint is some of the worst OEM paint I have seen... the texture, the shades, and the gloss are all sub par...

My local dealership was horrified as I sat there and told the GM to send the car back, or have it repainted because it was obviously a mistake... turns out, that's how they all looked...

It would not be hard to spray the whole car, and then drench it in clear for a beautiful paint job... But then again you should not have to do that to a 30+K car...

Im still waiting to "order" mine... My room mate's girlfriend's Dad owns a few chevy dealerships, so I might FINALLY get to test drive one...
Old 08-19-2009, 08:58 PM

I have a black one and I dont see any issues with the paint on it. I did notice it on a yellow one that I saw about a week ago. The silver ones that I have seen didn't look bad either.

Quick Reply: What's up with the paint??