Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

best overall street cam

Old 02-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best overall street cam

not a track car, just a weekend street car. whats the best off the shelf cam? want as much power as i can get all the way up the band as they say with keeping as much drivability as possible. just seeking opinions on the best overall street cam...thx
Old 02-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Teching In

ok, thinking tsp 231/236 and a vengeance stage 2 or 3 cam and thunder racing tru torq level 3 cam and etmc blower cam. any other suggestions? if i go custom, what are some specs i should be looking at?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

first of all, what are your plans for the car? are you keeping it N/a? or going FI? I have tsp 231/236 cam and I like it. driveability is great. drive like stock over 1000-1100 RPM. but I daily drive my car. if its just a weekend car, I would go with LG G6x3 cam. it will buck up to 1300RPM but will also give you about 10whp more. but that if you are planning on staying N/a. if you are going to supercharge it, then you will need to go with a blower cam
Old 02-26-2011, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

the best one is.

seriously loaded question...
Old 02-27-2011, 12:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dkbmxer002
the best one is.

seriously loaded question...
exactly... some cams might be streetable for me, but not for you. also it all depends on what you want (top end, mid range...etc) and also what are your plans for the car? FI, N/a? really no one can give an answer, but we will try to help
Old 02-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Teching In

its a weekend car and no plans for a supercharger. i can give up a little drivability, but thinking it might be to much with the g6x3 and thinking the tsp cam might not be big enough. does the g6x3 cam lose a lot of torq down low? got till this summer to decide which way im going. thx for the replys.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by left lane
its a weekend car and no plans for a supercharger. i can give up a little drivability, but thinking it might be to much with the g6x3 and thinking the tsp cam might not be big enough. does the g6x3 cam lose a lot of torq down low? got till this summer to decide which way im going. thx for the replys.

If you know anyone that has one in their car, ask if you can ride or if possible, maybe drive it around for a minute and see how you like it. The cam selection is strictly opinionated. Nobody can tell you you will love this or that cam, you have to decide.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

the best one for all out performance is the g6x3. I have to give the tsp 231/236 an honable mention as well. For drivibility the spinmonster cam is very nice and still makes good power.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
If you know anyone that has one in their car, ask if you can ride or if possible, maybe drive it around for a minute and see how you like it. The cam selection is strictly opinionated. Nobody can tell you you will love this or that cam, you have to decide.
no, i dont know anybody that has a cammed camaro. meeting up with a guy this weekend who has the tvs 2300 supercharger and we are going over to the strip. not looking for forced induction, just trying to find the right cam. thx for the reply.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redsap05
the best one for all out performance is the g6x3. I have to give the tsp 231/236 an honable mention as well. For drivibility the spinmonster cam is very nice and still makes good power.
question-the bigger the cam is, is it more wear and tear on the engine and less reliability? thinking the g6x3 might be to big. when i do decide on a cam, will have a shop install and tune and will definetly do all the upgrades that need be and more. say between the g6x3 and the tsp 231/236 both installed and tuned the correct way, would one be a little more reliable over the other because of lower hp and less duration etc etc. thx
Old 03-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Jason at Texas Speed is currently working on a cam a little bit bigger then the 231/236. It should be out any day now.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Launching!

Check out this article.

LS3 Cam Test

A lot of good info.

In this test, I like Katech's grind.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FLYZNTN
Check out this article.

LS3 Cam Test

A lot of good info.

In this test, I like Katech's grind.

Damn good article...Everyone should take a look.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

not a track car, just a weekend street car. whats the best off the shelf cam? want as much power as i can get all the way up the band as they say with keeping as much drivability as possible. just seeking opinions on the best overall street cam...thx
Ok, please understand that I'm not trying to be a smart-*** ,but what other mods do you have now ? Exhaust , Stall , Ram-Air etc...? Personally , if your ride is a weekend street car and the way gas prices are , I would leave the stock cam in it and just add a nice of Longtubes, nice sounding Cat-Back System and Ram-Air kit and ride.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mac 2002 SS
Ok, please understand that I'm not trying to be a smart-*** ,but what other mods do you have now ? Exhaust , Stall , Ram-Air etc...? Personally , if your ride is a weekend street car and the way gas prices are , I would leave the stock cam in it and just add a nice of Longtubes, nice sounding Cat-Back System and Ram-Air kit and ride.
Right now I have 1 7/8 headers, rotofab, magnaflow axleback and a tune. Have talk to some shops and thinking I will just have one spec'ed for my needs. Will be taking a ride in a supercharged camaro tomorrow, so all plans might change....
Old 03-05-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Right now I have 1 7/8 headers, rotofab, magnaflow axleback and a tune. Have talk to some shops and thinking I will just have one spec'ed for my needs. Will be taking a ride in a supercharged camaro tomorrow, so all plans might change....
Best deal I have found is 7k installed for a supercharger and I think this was a special. A nice H/C package will be thousands cheaper and marginally slower (at moderate boost levels)...and sound better IMO to boot. Although if you are not doing the install yourself the price gap will be smaller.

Get ready to dig deep into that pocket book.

And yes...the bigger the cam the more wear and tear. More power= more abuse on everything. Dont go cheap on the valve springs either. Comp 921 doubles are the way to go from what I have read. Several guys use these springs on the G6X3 with great results. Orange Chevy used these springs on his G6X3 and they were supposedly revving the car to 7500!
Old 03-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Best deal I have found is 7k installed for a supercharger and I think this was a special. A nice H/C package will be thousands cheaper and marginally slower (at moderate boost levels)...and sound better IMO to boot. Although if you are not doing the install yourself the price gap will be smaller.

Get ready to dig deep into that pocket book.

And yes...the bigger the cam the more wear and tear. More power= more abuse on everything. Dont go cheap on the valve springs either. Comp 921 doubles are the way to go from what I have read. Several guys use these springs on the G6X3 with great results. Orange Chevy used these springs on his G6X3 and they were supposedly revving the car to 7500!
well i drove the supercharged camaro...omg...instant torq...but dont have that cam sound i want and dont have the funds to go that route. cam it will be. i will definetly get the best parts that go with the cam install. just trying to decide on a shop for the job.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Teching In

well i drove the supercharged camaro...omg...instant torq...but dont have that cam sound i want and dont have the funds to go that route. cam it will be. i will definetly get the best parts that go with the cam install. just trying to decide on a shop for the job.
If you want that instant feel of torque get gears.You can get a nice cam and gears for a bit less then a supercharger.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Custom grind
Old 03-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by madmike9396
Custom grind
ok, if going with a custom cam, what kind of numbers should i be looking at? like i said, looking for a fairly big cam with a choppy idle. willing to give up a little driveability for the hp. liking this 231/243 .617/.624 on a 113 lsa. not sure though. with the camaro being a little heavy, have read some quotes like "concentrate on boosting torque" and "a tighter lsa is not the way to go with the camaro". just want to see some cam numbers of what you guys think one should go with.....thx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best overall street cam