Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

IRS, but what IRS

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IRS, but what IRS

Since the 5th gen is a Zeta platform used in the land down-under; and has an peddlers aftermarket; does this mean its has the suspension of the likes of the GTO (Although different platform from the Zeta)? This I wonder. I hope it does. If it has the IRS similar to the GTO, great; but just more room for tire than the GTO. I hope it isnt IRS like Ford's crappy 8.8 IRS.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, it's not out of any previous car.
The Zeta IRS is loosely based on the VZ-platform IRS, but it's completely new from the ground up.

It will be the same (or very very similar) to the IRS currently found in the Holden Commodore, and that will be in the Pontiac G8.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hope it isn't a total piece of steaming dog **** like the rear end in a CTS-V
Old 07-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

exactly. I don't have any experience on the caddy side but the IRS in 03 cobras is my only problem i seen. I like to do what LG done on there new 08 vette on a camaro and survive trips to the track. If the new IRS is as good as it was on the GTO or Corvette, even though different, its good to me.

Thank you on the info Octane.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSjinx
exactly. I don't have any experience on the caddy side but the IRS in 03 cobras is my only problem i seen. .
the 03/04 cobra is a tough rear end i seen guys run low 9's on stock half shafts... hell all yuo gotta do is slip the clutch a bit and hold on... it will take some getting used but in time youve learn to love it more then a soild... at least i did
Old 07-15-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

The new HVS from Australia is tested in England in the new Automobile Mag...same underpinnings as the new camaro. They said it handled up there with an M5. Can't be too bad

W
Old 07-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Im glad your IRS and those who have them, had them hold up to the track. But my experiences with 99-04 cobra IRSs are the same as LSjinx. Those things seem to be timebombs, they hold up for one guy and vaporize for another. I worst incident was when this guy took his 99 cobra out with new DRs and second run was ugly at the track. Then the other was at mustang week with his 03 cobra, I didnt know there was a problem until he told me the strange sound and look to see that his read end with leaking. I asked what he did, he said just gettin on it a little after pulling out of the hotel.

My experience with IRS would lead me to understand LSjinx view, but i have to say that it does hold up for many. I seen that HP Performance TT Cobra with 800+ that does well; but I also have seen people with a stock 10 bolt on slicks run 6s in the 1/8 with nitrous. I have to say it viewed by some like a 10 bolt in the f-body world, and the last thing someone wants is something like that in the new camaro.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

That's why i plan on going 12-bolt right off the bat. Plus it could stand to loose a bit of weight.
In all honesty how much weight do you think the transplant to a solid rear would cause the car to loose?
Old 07-15-2007, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
That's why i plan on going 12-bolt right off the bat. Plus it could stand to loose a bit of weight.
In all honesty how much weight do you think the transplant to a solid rear would cause the car to loose?
good luck with that.......the Zeta is not going to be setup like the Cobra's. its not going to be a bolt in swap for a 12 bolt, like the Cobra is for the 8.8 SRA....
Old 07-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bww3588
good luck with that.......the Zeta is not going to be setup like the Cobra's. its not going to be a bolt in swap for a 12 bolt, like the Cobra is for the 8.8 SRA....
+1 on that. If a solid rear is transplanted into the new camaro, its goin to be something that people on these boards and others that are goin to demand to see in-progress pics of the swap and be demanding updates. I seen this on GTO and vette forums before. Its interesting. A lot of fab.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AronZ28
I hope it isn't a total piece of steaming dog **** like the rear end in a CTS-V
+1!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Well **** it i'm down for the challenge. I'll have to get it and put it in the air to see how bad it will be to do the fab work, then i'll state deffinates about whether or not it will actually happen. HAHAHA!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Well **** it i'm down for the challenge. I'll have to get it and put it in the air to see how bad it will be to do the fab work, then i'll state deffinates about whether or not it will actually happen. HAHAHA!!!
Love to see it. Post pics. lol. Ill subscribe to that thread

Quick Reply: IRS, but what IRS