Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

NEW: Facts about the 2010 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW: Facts about the 2010 Camaro

Alright. I'm making this because the previous FACTS thread has been both locked and was updated LAST YEAR. I'm going to do a quick rundown and then follow with a bit more in depth explanation, to the best of my knowledge.

Basics:
The new Camaro will be offered in V8 and V6 models, both available in Manual or Automatic transmission.
There will be a selection of 10 colors from the factory.
The Camaro will be offered in a Coupe form for its release, followed by a Convertible later in 2009.
A various selection of GM Accessories will be available at launch, with the vehicle.
The full list of stats and models will be available on 9/19/08, at the Indy track unveiling.

Exterior: The shots we have been seeing of the un-camo'd camaro sport place holder headlights. It has been said many times that those headlights are NOT the production units. The vent on the hood also seems to be fake. We have no confirmation of this from any reliable source, but in quite a few 'spy' photos, most famously the recent one where the tail lights reflect off the vent, it seems to be a solid slit. There will be various wheel options, from rumored 20"'s, to more plausible 18" wheels which are shown in the pictures I have attached. The Convertible will offer what appear to be 17" rims on the base model (Also likely for the base V6 coupe).

The gas door is on the left. There has not been a stated reason for this, but it is likely due to the fact that the new Camaro will also be available in Europe and Japan, as well as some regions of Africa. The front grille also seems to be a placeholder, as taken from the comment "Please don't fall in love with THAT grille", from an interview with someone on the design team. This is either a placeholder grille on the pro-pro cars, or it is the grille we will get, minus the bow-tie, Z28 or SS emblems. The break ducts (See: slits on the rear wheel well) appear to be nonfunctional for all models we have seen thus far. As a personal idea, I believe they will be functional on the SS and Z28 models, but not the V6 or base V8.

Interior: The interior we have seen from the spy shots closely resembles the concept. Which is a good thing. The dash\center console did not stay a "Wrap under" type of console, however, and is connected to the center column by a plastic gauge pod, housing torque gauge, oil temp, and two others. The V6 has been seen to have a torque gauge of 370, which sounds promising in regards to its horsepower. The radio is a topic of interest, and it has been said that it resembles a "Nintendo Controller". The radio comes with a small screen, akin to the one seen in todays Monte Carlo's, and G8's. The gauge cluster (Spedo, Tach, DIC.) are back lit with a soft blue, which fades in to red at speeds above 140, and RPMs above 6000. What appears to be a window up\down switch is located in front of the gear box. The DIC, from what we have seen so far, will indicate when your gas is low, the temperature outside, average speed, average MPG, instant MPG, when fluids are low, and what doors are open.

Technical: The new Camaro will be based on the Zeta platform, and IRS RWD setup. The only other vehicle available on this platform, in the United States so far, is the Pontiac G8 GT. The base Camaro engine has been said to trump the G8 GXP, which sports a 402 rwhp de-tuned LS3, taken from the Corvette program. No word has been given on whether or not the Camaro will sport a similar engine. What little we do know is that it will be available with either a 6-speed manual, or 6-speed auto, with the possibility of a 5-speed automatic in the V6 models. From the spy shots we have seen, the Camaro V6 looks to be sourced from Cadillac, which means it will produce anywhere between 260 and 300 rwhp, depending on which engine they decide on. Another point of interest is that in the leaked under-hood shots, the battery is absent. This means it is either located somewhere on the leather shelf that they call the back seat, or it is in the trunk.

Last edited by Semper91-RS; 05-18-2008 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bear with me while I update this slowly. Should be done in a few minutes. Pictures are being attached.

Last edited by Semper91-RS; 05-18-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:04 AM
On The Tree

Those brake ducts are never going to be functional, they are a direct styling que from the Gen 1.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I heard something about a 4cyl. or turbo 4cyl. as a base engine.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

I'd put my money on the battery being located in a panel on the Drivers side of the trunk, much like it is with the G8.

--In response to FACTS... it seems like you're summarizing what we've heard in the last few months. I think the reason the FACT Threads are locked by the mods is so that they (OctaneZ28 ) can update it when we have factory-confirmed facts, not rumor mill engines/setups.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

what is the convertible top going to look like?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Just a quick correction. The G8s LS3 won't make 402 at the rear wheels, it'll be at the crank.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Those gauges are totally retro.....I likey.

The one complaint Ive had with this car is the grill. I do hope thats a "placeholder" front end. Other than that I think its gonna look even better in person.

EDIT- Wow, it even has a information gauge with "low brake fluid"....very Vette like. Nice.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree, only the first little list is "Fact", the rest summarizes pretty much what we've all been hearing. But I figure this is a good post for new people to read, so that they don't have to scramble all over the Camaro forums to get solid information.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not sure if the new corvettes are my style, they look so different now if they come out with the trans am also i'll have to def buy one of those
Old 05-19-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to assume you mean Camaro's?

Quick Reply: NEW: Facts about the 2010 Camaro