General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is my frame Bent?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is my frame Bent?

Well The Bird was in an accident yesterday after it rained.
A girl on her phone in a Civic tried to dart across the median at a pretty busy intersection, but started and stopped a few times so when she decided to go I swerved to avoid hitting her.
My car spun to the right and hit the curb on the passenger side. The rear passenger tire snapped off,and the front passenger tire was slightly bent.
What worries me is that the rear tire snapped off and it LOOKS like some "important things" were still attached. Plus the car hit the curb hard enough to snap the wheel off(15-20mph) so i'm wondering if i might have bent the frame?
The clams adjuster is going to take a look and i've got full coverage, but im just hoping they don't total it if the frame is bent. What do you guys think
Old 11-07-2008, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

im saying totaled
Old 11-07-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prolly not as you describe but be happy if it is totaled because it is not something you want fix if it is. Just negotiate and play up your cars stong point to get the best payoff. There are lots of nice f-bodys out there if you are patient
Old 11-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Prolly not as you describe but be happy if it is totaled because it is not something you want fix if it is. Just negotiate and play up your cars stong point to get the best payoff. There are lots of nice f-bodys out there if you are patient
Cool. Im just nervous waiting for the claims adj. There wasnt any body damage at all, but its the frame im worried about.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

your car doesnt have a frame, its a unibody structure...
Old 11-08-2008, 04:07 AM
Banned

damm sucks man. pics would sure describe better if its totaled or not
Old 11-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FiFdYnUtz
So what should I be worried about having messed up beyond repair since the rear took the hit?
Originally Posted by ae13291
damm sucks man. pics would sure describe better if its totaled or not
Didn't have a camera to take pics.
But its pretty cut and dry: The rear passenger tire broke off(its still in one complete piece with some of the brake assembly attached) and the front passenger tire is bent about 5 degrees to the right. No other dents or dings from the hit..
Old 11-09-2008, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they technically are a unibody but they do have frame rails that run through the unibody construction. I DOUBT it's got frame damage. If the wheel snapped i'd almost be willing to bet that took most of the hit. I'd say it's gonna need a little work but i don't think it will be totalled. Have them check the axles and make sure they aren't bent as it doesn't take much. I'm sure there is some bent sh*t but i don't think frame damage. If there was frame damage to the back you'd see buckling in the rear 1/4 panels(almost always) and if it's got front frame rail damage you'll notice the gaps in the fenders, hood, bumper not be the same to the other side. In my experience of being around my dads body shop i honestly highly doubt it's got frame damage
Old 11-09-2008, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FiFdYnUtz
You are right that it is a unibody, but all unibody cars still have frame rails that are incorporated into the unibody, they are what divert the energy in a wreck.

to the OP, it sounds like its mainly suspension damage, which if they can find some used parts, may not be that bad to fix. there could be damage where the rear axle mounts to the floor or on the inner quarter panel where it was hit.

Im an adjuster, if you post up some pics, it would be easier to tell. Good luck with everything.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Have it totaled!! You don't want a rebuilt or w/e title!!
Old 11-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
If the wheel snapped i'd almost be willing to bet that took most of the hit. I'd say it's gonna need a little work but i don't think it will be totalled.
Yeah the rear took the hit the hardest.(Ive got a piece of the rim as a souvenier)
I'm planning to hear from the adj on Monday. I hope they don't total my Dubya....80k on a 02 WS6 is only about 13.5k retail.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

frame probably not, but you will need to make sure that they write it for a new axle assy. and the suspension arms as well, usually when a car gets a hit like that the suspension takes all of the force so the frame doesnt. hope this helps its what i do for a living, later chris m.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From what your posting I'm gonna take a chance and say the suspension is jacked as well as probably your rear end.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

doesnt sound too bad i had a friend that hit a median shattering his pass side SS wheels and smooshing the 1/4...frame was good and insurance covered it all. if it is totaled and you do have a lot invested in it BELIEVE me even with reciepts you wont get **** for what youve invested, ask me how i know. if you truly love these cars and planned on buying another one (if yours is indeed totaled) then id suggest buying your car back. the cost to buy it back will be what the insurance compan sets as a salvage value. so in order to not get fucked, if they do say its totaled DO NOT give them any reciepts for any invested parts cause they will try and make more money by increasing the salvage value. again aask me how i know...
anyways sorry for the long post but good luck to ya
Old 11-09-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Get some PICs and post them up.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^ Beat me to the question. Pictures would help.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Na a bent axle and some twisted front knuckle and some new studs.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Enough said. We can all speculate till the cows come home. But without knowing/seeing what actually happened wee are all just guessing. Hell...Even if we see it we are just guessing. Even if the aduster does not see anything to make him think the frame is damaged, you need to insist that who ever works on the car puts it on a frame machine before anything is done. many times a badly tweaked frame/body will total a car.

Re'
Old 11-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Launching!

totaled
Old 11-14-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silverM6TA
totaled
For a car to be considered totaled by an insurance co. the damage to a car needs to cost 75% or more of the fair market value of the vehicle worth to repair. .... It won't cost that much to fix!

Quick Reply: Is my frame Bent?