General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

i totaled my Trans Am yesterday. Need Advice. (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i totaled my Trans Am yesterday. Need Advice. (pics)

i rear ended somebody at a left turning lane because they stopped so suddenly. i have full coverage insurance. i loved and cared for this T/A. i had her 3yrs. i know it aint much but i put so much care because i really loved her. she was the BEST car i ever HAD. and the longest i ever had. she was in excellent condition. she has 69,900 miles. 1998. and she was in EXCELLENT condition. A4. since this happened on a saturday, i havent heard from my insurance company yet. whats gonna happen? i know they are gonna replace my car. i either want a 1997+ vette or a later year low mileage t/a
i know i dont really wanna add a lot extra $$$ maybe 1-2k
both airbags deployed. 3 cars are invovled. it caused a domino effect. it was my car, a 90's toyota corrola and a year 2000+ Caddillac cts (the corrollas back has a medium sized dent and the CTS had a baby dent. my car (pics below +airbags deployed, cracked dash and windshield. it starts, but the engine cuts out, leaking possibly a cracked radiator and the air filter housing and maf looked like it was pushed back a little)
everybody was okay. one woman and her 1 year old went to the hospital via an ambulance, for minor pains. nothing major. i felt so awful. this was my first accident ever. i feel like a different person. it sucked. it couldve been worse. please be careful out there. i was not drunk.
just please tell me what to expect...
oh and you cant see this on the pics but my dash cracked and the windshield as well.
and btw its not officially totaled. my insurance company has yet to see it. but i expect it to be because the airbags deployed and just look at it...

EDIT: MORE PICS
Attached Thumbnails i totaled my Trans Am yesterday. Need Advice. (pics)-img_0212.jpg   i totaled my Trans Am yesterday. Need Advice. (pics)-img_0209.jpg   i totaled my Trans Am yesterday. Need Advice. (pics)-img_0210.jpg   i totaled my Trans Am yesterday. Need Advice. (pics)-img_0208.jpg   i totaled my Trans Am yesterday. Need Advice. (pics)-img_0211.jpg  

i totaled my Trans Am yesterday. Need Advice. (pics)-img_0224.jpg   i totaled my Trans Am yesterday. Need Advice. (pics)-img_0225.jpg   i totaled my Trans Am yesterday. Need Advice. (pics)-img_0226.jpg  

Last edited by transamsrock; 01-06-2009 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Launching!

That looks totally fixable.

However, since the airbags deployed, it's a crapshoot, but I'd buy it back in a heartbeat and fix it up.

Hood = $100
Bumper = $200
Headlight covers = $100-$150
Windshield = $350

You should have her back together for less than $1000 if you get the parts from a salvage yard. Sans the airbags though. No idea how much they would cost from a salvage-yard..

The car runs, right? I'm guessing you had it towed since you cant really see with the hood like that.

Actually, I've already got most of the parts to fix that, so if you can't be bothered to put her back together, let me know what the insurance wants for a buy-back and lets see if we can work something out.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by TA-Swede
That looks totally fixable.

However, since the airbags deployed, it's a crapshoot, but I'd buy it back in a heartbeat and fix it up.

Hood = $100
Bumper = $200
Headlight covers = $100-$150
Windshield = $350

You should have her back together for less than $1000 if you get the parts from a salvage yard. Sans the airbags though. No idea how much they would cost from a salvage-yard..

The car runs, right? I'm guessing you had it towed since you cant really see with the hood like that.

Actually, I've already got most of the parts to fix that, so if you can't be bothered to put her back together, let me know what the insurance wants for a buy-back and lets see if we can work something out.
she starts but cuts out. sorry forgot to mention. i just edited that in there. i'll let u know man. i'd love to have her back. i don't know. things are up in the air atm. thanks for the input and offer. will let u know whats up.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Was the radiator damaged at all?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Launching!

I just hit a deer in mine and have most of the same damages..
Old 01-04-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I agree, dosen't look that bad to me. Easy fix. Insurance might total it due to age (it's an 11 year old car) and air bag deployment, but if they do, I'd buy it back and fix it yourself. My $0.02
Old 01-04-2009, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Joshu
Was the radiator damaged at all?
i was told that the leak on the street coming from underneath my engine bay maybe from a cracked radiator. it was on a major busy street and straight on the tow truck to the tow trucks storage after that. so i had not a lot of time and space to investigate.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by matthewjosh
I just hit a deer in mine and have most of the same damages..
thanks man
Old 01-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any "internal damage"-motor,trans, etc?

If not, then they won't total that car. My agent didn't total my car and my repair estimate was around 8k. That looks like a strict "replacement" job. New this New That and you're good to Go.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by CHIredws6
Is there any "internal damage"-motor,trans, etc?

If not, then they won't total that car. My agent didn't total my car and my repair estimate was around 8k. That looks like a strict "replacement" job. New this New That and you're good to Go.
thanks man. yes i believe my radiator may be cracked cause there was some leaking going on. and the car does start but cuts out. and my maf looks like it was pushed back a little. and thats all i know so far. my cars in storage.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transamsrock
i know they are gonna replace my car. i either want a 1997+ vette or a later year low mileage t/a
i know i dont really wanna add a lot extra $$$ maybe 1-2k
The insurance company is not going to replace your car. If they end up totalling it, which they most likely will, they will just pay you market value of the car and that's it.

So, if you want a LS1 Vette, be prepared to fork over quite a bit more than 1-2K.

Glad that everybody was okay, though.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

i totaled my Trans Am yesterday. Need Advice.
Pay a little more attention when you drive.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Your car does not look that bad....good luck!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Texfinn
The insurance company is not going to replace your car. If they end up totalling it, which they most likely will, they will just pay you market value of the car and that's it.

So, if you want a LS1 Vette, be prepared to fork over quite a bit more than 1-2K.

Glad that everybody was okay, though.

yes i know thats what i meant by REPLACE and "absolute BEST market value" is what i heard.
how much should i expect to pay for a ls1 vette with less than 90k on the odo?
and how much do u think they will give me for my t/a?
and yes thank god eevry one was okay

Last edited by transamsrock; 01-04-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes i know thats what i meant by REPLACE and "absolute BEST market value" is what i heard.
how much should i expect to pay for a ls1 vette with less than 90k on the odo?
and how much do u think they will give me?
and yes thank god eevry one was okay
i see them go through the auction here for about 10-11k in mint condition then re-sell on lot for about 13-15
Old 01-04-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love Vettes... but stick to your F-bodies.. they are MUCH cheaper.. An 02' M6 80k miles would probably book for around $17k Good condition Private Party sale.. alot more than you will get out of that
Old 01-04-2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by F3RR3T
i see them go through the auction here for about 10-11k in mint condition then re-sell on lot for about 13-15
not too bad. i really wanna get one that was in similar condition as mine. MINT
Old 01-04-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

not too bad. i really wanna get one that was in similar condition as mine. MINT
you have to remember unless you can buy from the auction through a friend you wont get one for 12-13k youll pay 15-19k for one in mint condition.

i just drove a 98 the other day from launderdale to valdosta. i wouldnt own one period. rather have a f-body
Old 01-04-2009, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Damn man sorry about the car. I know you must feel depressed but you can always replace it with another one. Atleast your not hurt and you will get money to get another one
Old 01-04-2009, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
I love Vettes... but stick to your F-bodies.. they are MUCH cheaper.. An 02' M6 80k miles would probably book for around $17k Good condition Private Party sale.. alot more than you will get out of that
i got my
1998 t/a 3 yrs ago with 48k on the clock. mint. a4. $8,900
i just looked on auto trader and im seeing a lot of ls1 t/a's going for more than what i payed with a heck of a lot of miles too than what i currently have 69k!! im guessing that cars recieved quite a jolt in prices because gas prices have significantly gone down maybe?

Quick Reply: i totaled my Trans Am yesterday. Need Advice. (pics)