General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

how big of a cam?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how big of a cam?

how big of a cam can i put in my lq4 till the valves hit the piston? i have patriot stage 3 heads 59cc ive seen some people run a 600 lift without fly cutting the pistons. i want to run the ms4 cam
Old 08-10-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is not the lift but the duration that you need to worry about...I would say that you need to keep the duration below 230 degrees to keep from having to fly cut the pistons...no matter what you do you need to check your piston to valve clearance with clay and measure it to be sure you have enough space to be on the safe side.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Launching!

I think someone should just start a list of all the combinations that have been done with cams, heads and shortblocks and what required or should I say what the clearance was ? I have always checked and it really can be tricky for someone that has never done it ? the list would give a safety margin for some people with the same combo in mind...? say of you had a lq9 AND 243 heads and used a TSP228r with stock head gaskets and had .180" clearances chances are the next guy eith the same setup will be OK ?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Duration not lift is what you need to consider..
Old 08-16-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Regular

i did not know the duration had anything to do with valve clearance but it does make sense. i just never thought of it. im too late now i bought a vindicator cam i was hoping it would clear with having the dish pistons but a few people have said no way. so now im wondering should i buy forged pistons with reliefs in them or have stock ones cut. what would be best for the buck to do. also if i get pistons i would want to bore the block to get a little extra cube. i dont have money for the whole stroker kit. but thats my goal down the road
Old 08-16-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The only way to be sure of what your P to V clearence is to check it with clay..there are instructions on line on how to do that...if you have the engine torn all the way down go a head and get some forged pistons ... they are more durable than the stock ones and that way if you ever decide to use some NOS you will be ready...your best bet would be to call one of the shops like Texas Speed or Vengeance and tell they what your goals are and they will tell you the best way to get there and the machine work that will be required .... if your are using a LS series aluminum block you cannot bore it to gain cubic inches of displacment the walls of the cylinder liners are too thin...but you can hone them to get a nice finish on them for your new rotating assembly...good luck with your project...

Search this Thread