General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Buying a car out of state-advice?

Old 09-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a car out of state-advice?

So I need some advice-there is a gorgeous trans am WS6 I've decided I need but its out of state at a dealership. I don't have cash in hand, and the dealership says they finance for people with no credit, slow credit or bad credit (mine's not bad just less than 720 ) so that's a plus for me-but the guy at the dealership says he's not sure he could finance me since I live out of state.
But what if (and I know this happens a lot) I was moving there in a month and wanted to buy the car in the state I was moving to?

Someone said they might not want to do it since they'd have a harder time repo-ing the car if they needed to, since I indeed live out of state-1400 miles away, out of state.

Has anyone else bought a car and financed it in another state than the one they live in?

Any advice on how to do this?? Also what about paying taxes-would I pay taxes according to the state in which Im buying the car or the one where it would be registered (Texas)?

Thanks so much!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

are you military by some chance?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Launching!

I live in Pennsylvania and the bank that financed my car was from Ohio. I had no issues at all. Not sure about the taxes, but I believe it is taxed on the state that you are purchasing in. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

if i were you, i would get an account at a credit union. They usually make you buy a share of stock for like 5 or 10 bucks. They will give you the best rate. They'll probably need to be faxed a copy of the title and what not, but mine always does a carfax for me and they always treat me good. Bought my TA out of state too and had no problems. A dealership will rape you with charges
Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh yeah, and you pay tax,tag,title, and liscense for your state. Atleast i did.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ethomp
oh yeah, and you pay tax,tag,title, and liscense for your state. Atleast i did.

When I bought mine they (dealership) found a bank to finance me and it ended up being Chase which we have all over here so it worked out pretty well.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would only recommend buying the vehicle if you see it in person and have a nice down payment.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MoonDog

Any advice on how to do this?? Also what about paying taxes-would I pay taxes according to the state in which Im buying the car or the one where it would be registered (Texas)?

Thanks so much!

Your taxes will be paid in the state where you're registering the vehicle (at least that's how VA and MD do it).

Join a credit union or nationally recognized bank and get a pre-approval loan/draft check. If you're military (as one other person asked)...join Navy Federal Credit Union (they take people from all branches) or USAA. I would imagine that a bank like Wachovia or BOA would do this as well though.

While I've only used VW credit and NFCU to finance vehicles, I would imagine that any large bank wouldn't care where you're from or where the vehicle is being registered. If a bank wants a vehicle repo'd, they're going to track you down, whether you're in CA, TX, VA, etc. They pay people to repo vehicles...the mom and pop bank you have your loan with isn't going after the vehicle themselves.

Last edited by johnlv6; 09-08-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by johnlv6
Your taxes will be paid in the state where you're registering the vehicle (at least that's how VA and MD do it).

Join a credit union or nationally recognized bank and get a pre-approval loan/draft check. If you're military (as one other person asked)...join Navy Federal Credit Union (they take people from all branches) or USAA. I would imagine that a bank like Wachovia or BOA would do this as well though.

While I've only used VW credit and NFCU to finance vehicles, I would imagine that any large bank wouldn't care where you're from or where the vehicle is being registered. If a bank wants a vehicle repo'd, they're going to track you down, whether you're in CA, TX, VA, etc. They pay people to repo vehicles...the mom and pop bank you have your loan with isn't going after the vehicle themselves.
^^^ THIS. Just did this yesterday!
Old 09-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Mid
On The Tree

I bought my WS6 from a guy in VA.

I financed through my own bank, and paid New York State DMV tax and registration fees.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

About a month before I PCS'd from Louisiana to Florida, I found a car for my wife in California. I went through our local (at the time) credit union, who handled all of the paperwork. They gave me a list of things needed from the seller, took care of all the signing, notary, etc., and gave me a temp tag to go pick the car up with. After the title arrived at the credit union, they filled out the Florida title application and mailed it off for me. Now, that's the way it should have worked.

In reality, we went through a crappy credit union, and I'm going to refinance the car soon. They lost paperwork, changed the papers needed from the seller numerous times, didn't completely filll out the title application before it was mailed so after it was rejected and returned, they handed it to me to complete. The easiest (and best, IMO) part was having the seller pick me up in the car at the airport, and the 1600 mile drive back home.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

i got a loan through chase, bought a vehicle in PA (had to hit a local AAA to get 30-day "in transit" tags to drive it back), then registered and payed taxes in ohio.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:59 AM
TECH Regular

Once you get the money thing out of the way.

Go to your local DMV, find out what they want you to do to get the out of state vehicle.

Go to a DMV in the state the vehicle is in. Find out what you have to do to get then vehicle out of state...

I just bought a DD from about 60 miles away, in another state. It's been hell because each state wants their own little things, and some of them clash. It doesn't help that the previous owner lives 450 miles away, and won't pick up her dang phone so I can't get this taken care of lol.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

First question, is this car at a buy here pay here lot? If so DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME. If it's at a real dealership that sells new cars, the salesman isn't worried about you living so far away he's worried that you don't have good credit or enough credit to make the deal and will waste a 1400 mile trip.

Is your credit score better than a 670? Do you have major credit purchases on your history like another car, a house, or a long credit history in general? Or are you young and simply have good credit because you only have like one thing on there which you paid on time? If this is the case you have limited credit and will need a cosignor NO MATTER WHAT the dealer says. Dealers are not bankers, they'll tell you whatever you want to hear to get in the door. As stated above do the following before you leave to go get the car;

Get an actual loan through a bank or credit union in your area, have them cut you a bank check made out to the dealership. Make sure they have a cancellation period and will take the check back and cancel the loan if say you go out there 2 days later and the car is a POS.

My advice though is to buy from a private party. F-bodies that are traded in are 9 times out of 10 not worth owning no matter how good they look. These cars are not hard to sell. The only exception would be a 5,000 mile car at a collector car dealership.

Search this Thread