General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

tuning and emissions help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning and emissions help needed

ok i know this has been discussed before, but people are telling me things and working the butterflys in my stomach up.

i live in illinois, i have a 2000 camaro ss ls1
i have the codes for the egr and the 02 sensors tuned out.
the 02 sensors are plugged in, and i have a block off plate for the egr since i now have an ls6 intake on my car.

will the emissions ***** be able to tell? am i screwed or in the clear?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Launching!

you shouldn't have a problem as long as when they plug it to the OBD2 everything reads complete and you don't have any check engine lights showing, do you still have the cats on the car?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

negative, no cats, but the place i go to has never done a visual inspection on any of my cars, even ones that sounded and were far more heavily modded than this camaro
Old 02-08-2010, 11:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Ok, here is the real deal. I have successfully beaten the system here in IL, so don't worry about speculation from others that haven't tried in this state.

First, there is no visual. They will not look for cats, no matter how loud or stinky the car is. They don't care. Nobody even hinted at looking under my WS6, which had headers, ORY, loud catback, and a cam.

Second, whether or not you'll pass with your current tuning all depends on how it was tuned. Since I didn't tune it, there is no way that I can say 100% yes or no. But, I can tell you that all the major local tuners (like Speed, FLP) know how to set this up properly so you can pass. But beware, depending on the tuning software (I did all my stuff with LS1 Edit, I have no experiance with HP Tuners), you can get the SES light off but still not pass the test (based on non-complete DTC test status). Again, if you went to a local big shop, you're probably fine. Worst case, if you have more than 2 tests showing incomplete when they scan you, you'll just be rejected (not failed) and told to come back later (they will assume you just had the car serviced or battery disconnected, just agree with them and leave). You can then have your tuner fix the issue and return later for a retest.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

thank you sir! that puts my mind at ease