General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Got a 99 Camaro Z28 Roller, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Got a 99 Camaro Z28 Roller, now what?

Putting this thread out there to see what people know for options that I can do with this 99 Camaro Z28 76k on the roller. It does have t-tops, grey leather interior (in nice shape). I've had it for a few months now. Originally I bought it ($2100 with towing) for a friend since he was helping me with my projects, parting out and what not. He wanted a car he could build. After we went together & picked up the car making sure it was what he wanted. He ended up backing out when he realized that the only way he could do his 6.0 turbo build was to dump $4000 into it and he didn't want to do that. So I've got the car.

I've had the car for sale locally for $2500 to try and get my money back, been over 45 days so now I've been collecting LS parts & I think will just make it into a driver and then sell it hoping to either make some money or break even around $5000.

The camaro came to me with no motor, no trans (originally a T56), no clutch linkages/master, no computer, no engine bay wiring harness (was disconnected at strut tower mount and at the firewall on passenger side.) Also came with no center console. It also has an LT1 steering rack (I know this based upon the power steering pump and reservoir attached to the lines). Not knowing what kind of build or engine combination I could find I started collecting some parts. I have a auto center console $80, F-Body oil pan with pick up & tray $200, LS6 intake $140, pacesetter long tube headers & 3 inch y-pipe $75, hooker exhaust 3" - Free from one of my other cars, aluminum drive shaft - $50, SLP air lid with box, maf and boot $25. As of right now I have $2670 potentially invested (I know I can use the parts for other things.) This car will also need front and rear brakes $150, a outer tie rod end & alignment $120, 4 tires $450, Converter & O2 sensors, and lastly alternator/power steering brackets and possibly rack?

There is a guy locally who sells engine/trans set ups, wants $4500 for a LS1 with a T56, guy is crazy.

Will an LT1 rack work in a LS model?

I have been looking at truck blocks since people want crazy for an LS1 block/engine around my area $1500 + for something with 100k.

I can find a 5.3L from a 99 Silverado for $500 with computer and harness but whats involved with the computer aspect of it? I can also get a 6.0L from a 2005 chevy van for $750 from a local yard.

Can I also just bolt in a 2wd 4L60e from a truck for now to get it to be a driver for now?

I have found lots on doing the brackets and what not and not opposed to using a truck engine, just don't know about the wiring, computer and what not with this camaro being a 1999.

Lastly, here is some pictures:

I look forward to seeing what people have to say. This is a project that I would be working on in between my race car and my 1970 Camaro project that is a long ways from being done as the body is totally stripped, torn apart and being taken to bare metal.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were me I would start by cutting as much weight from it as you can while its just a roller.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could always do a 5.3 and an auto trans. That would get it running CHEAP. You can get both for under 500$ each all day. Maybe try to get someone that is looking into FI to pick it up for the right price.

Local guy with engine/trans for 4500...... Hmmmm.. Close to AL? He own a SOM Ws6?

Regardless if we would pay it or not.. Someone will buy a T56/Ls1 drop out for that amount.

If you want a little more incentive to a buyer... An lq4.. You can get higher mileage ones for a grand.

Just throwing two stock options out there.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:15 AM
11 Second Club

A 6 liter and auto would be best bang for the buck to re-sell the car.

Looks pretty clean though. I'd keep it for a project car.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
You could always do a 5.3 and an auto trans. That would get it running CHEAP. You can get both for under 500$ each all day. Maybe try to get someone that is looking into FI to pick it up for the right price.

Local guy with engine/trans for 4500...... Hmmmm.. Close to AL? He own a SOM Ws6?

Regardless if we would pay it or not.. Someone will buy a T56/Ls1 drop out for that amount.

If you want a little more incentive to a buyer... An lq4.. You can get higher mileage ones for a grand.

I would take Lemons suggestion. Putting in a LQ4 will help you resell it later, since that's what you plan on doing with it. You can even run down a used cam for a decent price. A cammed, bolt on, six speed LQ4 car would go for $5,000 easy around here.

I didn't see a location and I can't read your tag. Where are you located? I have a few items that you may be interested in. Check out my for sale thread(s) if you around the Alabama area.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:25 AM
11 Second Club

Your friend is an idiot. He can't afford to drop 4k in a car? Hell, for what that car needs, his turbo 6 liter is gonna run way more than 4k for the whole build.

Last edited by 00MaroonZ28; 06-11-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:25 AM
12 Second Club

I may sell the complete harness from my car withh computer i have the rad,coils all kinds of stuff if your intersted pm we can work it out. Other then that i would stuff a 6.0 and a th400 in on the cheap
Old 06-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
A 6 liter and auto would be best bang for the buck to re-sell the car.

Looks pretty clean though. I'd keep it for a project car.
I know a 6L will sell faster and bring a few dollars more, just have to spend more than the 5.3L. I have no need to keep it as a project - I have a race car and 1970 Camaro I got from my Dad I am putting together from funds from these kinds of projects.

Originally Posted by SMOKNSS
I would take Lemons suggestion. Putting in a LQ4 will help you resell it later, since that's what you plan on doing with it. You can even run down a used cam for a decent price. A cammed, bolt on, six speed LQ4 car would go for $5,000 easy around here.

I didn't see a location and I can't read your tag. Where are you located? I have a few items that you may be interested in. Check out my for sale thread(s) if you around the Alabama area.
I am located in Rochester NY, up by Lake Ontario. I would hope I could get $5000 for a 6L 4L60e in it.

The guy with the LS salvage yard is located in Buffalo NY, I don't know who is buying the drive trains, but there are LS1 cars up here for sale complete for less than what he wants for a drive train that need basic repairs like brakes and tires.

If I am to put in a LQ4 from say a 2002 or 2005 Truck/Van, then what do I have to do in regards to the computer and tuning since the car is a 1999. Just get a stock PCM and have it tuned for the 6.0L? I see lots of threads of the 1megabite pcm and the 1999 having a half... I imagine a mail order tune would help?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cferrel4
The guy with the LS salvage yard is located in Buffalo NY, I don't know who is buying the drive trains, but there are LS1 cars up here for sale complete for less than what he wants for a drive train that need basic repairs like brakes and tires.

If I am to put in a LQ4 from say a 2002 or 2005 Truck/Van, then what do I have to do in regards to the computer and tuning since the car is a 1999. Just get a stock PCM and have it tuned for the 6.0L? I see lots of threads of the 1megabite pcm and the 1999 having a half... I imagine a mail order tune would help?
Crazy part is... People pay that constantly.

Swap all the sensors/accessories/intake over and (within reason) everything is plug and play. That is a very direct swap. You shouldn't even need a tune.

Now if you go off putting a different trans in it, then yes..

I would put whatever you are going to put in it and then get a mail order for 150-200$.

Me personally... Put a 5.3 in it and the ls6 intake and call it a day. Sell it locally or put it up on the boards (make sure you disclose on the boards it is a 5.3). I bet it sells quicker than you would think. FULL detail inside and out and take some really nice pictures. Make them fall in love with the car before they see it in person!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Crazy part is... People pay that constantly.

Swap all the sensors/accessories/intake over and (within reason) everything is plug and play. That is a very direct swap. You shouldn't even need a tune.

Now if you go off putting a different trans in it, then yes..

I would put whatever you are going to put in it and then get a mail order for 150-200$.

Me personally... Put a 5.3 in it and the ls6 intake and call it a day. Sell it locally or put it up on the boards (make sure you disclose on the boards it is a 5.3). I bet it sells quicker than you would think. FULL detail inside and out and take some really nice pictures. Make them fall in love with the car before they see it in person!
Oh I plan to fully disclose it, always have when selling something and I seem to get repeat customers & referrals...

Are the sensors totally different between an LS1 and an LQ4 or 5.3 LM7?
I thought you could just reuse them, at least that is what I found in some searches.

I have found 5.3L for $400 at my local yard & a 2wd 4L60e from a 2002 silverado 4.8 for $500... A 6.0L from a 05 chevy van is $750 also from a local yard. $350 more for a 6.0...
Old 06-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Just got a call today from one of my local yards that knew I was looking for a motor set up. They got in a 5.3L with 100k on it, 4l60e 2wd, harness and 411 ecm for $1500 with all the accessories and 90 day warranty. Also got in a 6.0 Lq4 with 80k from a 04 -05 truck with a 4L80e trans with harness and computer for $2200 (basically a direct pull out with everything still attached) ... Not sure If i can use the 04/05 pcm... the 6.0 sounds more tempting to me...
Old 06-17-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cferrel4
Just got a call today from one of my local yards that knew I was looking for a motor set up. They got in a 5.3L with 100k on it, 4l60e 2wd, harness and 411 ecm for $1500 with all the accessories and 90 day warranty. Also got in a 6.0 Lq4 with 80k from a 04 -05 truck with a 4L80e trans with harness and computer for $2200 (basically a direct pull out with everything still attached) ... Not sure If i can use the 04/05 pcm... the 6.0 sounds more tempting to me...
The 6.0/4l80 setup would sell much easier but more hassle than I would want to go through for selling it.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Launching!

procharged 6.0 and t56!

Quick Reply: Got a 99 Camaro Z28 Roller, now what?