General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Feel like a retard asking this but...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Feel like a retard asking this but...

so this is my first 6spd Fbody and my first manual car (many bikes) that I've owned. I've driven tons of manuals at work and etc, but never owned one.

I miss the occasional shift like anyone that never really daily drove a manual. I have an overwhelming fear that I'm going to miss 5th and go into reverse. Other cars I've driven, you have to push down on the shifter to get it into reverse or do some goofy stuff. Mine just pops over to reverse. In fact, I'm generally not sure if I'm in reverse or 5th when I'm backing up until I let out the clutch.

Someone explain to me why I'm an idiot (with regard to this).
Old 09-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Theres a reverse lockout solenoid that blocks the shifter at speeds above approx 5 mph.

If you push really hard you can put it in reverse at speed, but you normally wouldn't push hard on the shifter.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its really, really hard to put it in reverse when you're moving. I drive mine with no lockout since it used to be an automatic and I didn't bother wiring it up. I just removed the tension spring. I have never had any issue hitting reverse at all, even slamming 5th from 4th, or downshifting to 5th from 6th.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Theres a reverse lockout solenoid that blocks the shifter at speeds above approx 5 mph.

If you push really hard you can put it in reverse at speed, but you normally wouldn't push hard on the shifter.
ah, okay. thanks. I was wondering if that was the case, but I wasn't really willing to test it out. I was skipping 5th all day today I was afraid the "push down" or "pull up" mechanism was bypassed by a previous owner or something :o

Do you basically have to do it intentionally?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its really not even possible to do intentionally. It makes a horrendous noise and pushes the shifter away since the gears won't mesh. Don't ask how I know.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You'd have to go waaaayyyy over to the right side to put it into reverse. To the point where you'd know you're going in reverse or at least have some doubt that it's in 5th.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by treyZ28
ah, okay. thanks. I was wondering if that was the case, but I wasn't really willing to test it out. I was skipping 5th all day today I was afraid the "push down" or "pull up" mechanism was bypassed by a previous owner or something :o

Do you basically have to do it intentionally?
It operates automatically. My car used to have an automatic like the other guy. When I put the 6 speed in I ran the wire for the lock out.

To test that it worked I drove about 10 mph and pushed the shifter to the right, when it go down to around 5 mph the shifter moved over. To fully shift into reverse the shifter has to be pushed forward.

You can test it like this just to get the feel of it, just don't push it forward.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. 5th gear is nice.

This thing is gonna take some getting used to. I thought it was misfiring today on the highway. then I noticed I was in 6th in slowed (but still moving for rush hour) trafficand the engine was just bogging around 1400rpm
Not used to that yet.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

410s will keep the rpms up and make the car more fun.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by treyZ28
Thanks guys. 5th gear is nice.

This thing is gonna take some getting used to. I thought it was misfiring today on the highway. then I noticed I was in 6th in slowed (but still moving for rush hour) trafficand the engine was just bogging around 1400rpm
Not used to that yet.
That's hardly bogging. Lol. Wait till you're cruising first gear in a parking lot and trying to stay below 10 mph. Now that's bogging.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:14 AM
TECH Addict

A new shifter will make you feel alot more conifident as well but like others stated the blockout will stop you from going into R while driving.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
A new shifter will make you feel alot more conifident as well but like others stated the blockout will stop you from going into R while driving.
It has the SLP shifter I think (or at least an SLP shift **** ). It feels better than what I remember an OEM one feeling like, but the last time I drove one was probably 6 or 7 years ago.

Originally Posted by 30th6
410s will keep the rpms up and make the car more fun.

Meh, it's a daily driver and I have a long commute everyday. That was the idea behind this car.