General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Almost foiled by the parts store counter man again!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Almost foiled by the parts store counter man again!

I don't try to ask parts store counter men to do too much. Even then, sometimes they still manage to screw up a perfectly simple transaction.

I called them up yesterday to order a 160 thermostat for my project by part number. Of course he asked what my application was. I told him I wanted to order a specific part number. He said: "let me check your application". I said: "no thank you, I know the exact part number I want". Then he agreed to just order the part number which he told me I could pick up this morning.

When I went into the store, I said: "I am here to pick up a special order". He said: "what is the application?". I said: "the order should be under my name, I don't remember the part number off hand". He said: "We don't have it saved like that, just tell me the application and I will see if we have that part in the special orders". I said: "It is a special 160 degree thermostat for a 2001 Corvette".

He called over his parts puller/helper and sent him back to special orders. After a a few seconds the young guy comes back with a Duralast thermostat. He shows it to the counter man who tells him, no that is not it and sends him for a specific part number. The young man then walks over to the stock shelves and pulls another thermostat from inventory and brings it to the counter man who then hands the part to me. I open the box and viola, it is a stock 86 Celsius thermostat. I could not help but smile.

I asked him: "Can I have that first thermostat you brought me from the special order bin?". He said: "That was not correct for you application". I said: "Can I have it anyway? I think it is the thermostat that I ordered". He brought me the thermostat. After a quick inspection, I recognized the forgotten part number (37960). I said: "I will take this one thank you". After a puzzled look he asked why I wanted this particular thermostat. I explained that it was a special 160 degree unit which was good enough for him.

It is tough getting parts for engine swaps from counter men. They are helpful to a fault sometimes.

Last edited by speedtigger; 12-07-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to run the part counter in an area with a LOT of customized cars/hot rod shops. It's sad that so many parts stores think they are always smarter than the person across the counter. I had a guy come in building a custom VW powered trike. We ordered up bushings, alternator, gauges, you name it.

I remember getting an earful from my boss telling me not to waste time on special orders/custom stuff. Made me laugh.

I run into the same thing you do a lot though, I have a swapped 1989 Formula. Gives me a good laugh when the seem totally confused and lost as to why you won't use parts for "your application". Even had a guy tell me it was impossible to use C5 brakes on a camaro/firebird. Out the door I went.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your not mexican, dont shop at Vatozone. Napa only for me, then Oreilly...
Old 12-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
if your not mexican, dont shop at Vatozone. Napa only for me, then Oreilly...
I could not find a part number for the correct 160 thermostat at NAPA. As for the Mexican thing, that must be a regional phenomenon.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rolled up to [insert your local parts store name] for plugs.
Me: I need plugs for a c5 vette. (car was parked at the door).
clerk: what year/make/model
Me: 2003 Chevy Corvette
Clerk: v6 or v8?
Me:
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

it seems like every time you go in a part store they seem to screw up something. Went in to buy some TR6 spark plugs one time this is how it went:
me:I need NGK TR6 spark plugs
women: looks like we do not have none, we have TR5's she goes and grabs one
me: Looks like the box says TR6 to me ill take 8
women: smart ***
me: better then being a dump ***
Old 12-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Old School Heavy

The last fun I had was at Advanced Auto Parts. I asked for some NGK TR-55s. The counter man looks at his computer and goes in the back. He comes back with TR-5s. I said: "These are incorrect. I asked for TR-55s". He said: "I cross-referenced them and this is what the computer says you need". I said: "These plugs are incorrect. They have a smaller electrode that does not allow for proper gap. I would like TR-55s". Of course, you know what is next. He asked: "What is the year make and model?". I said: "Look man, I just want some TR-55s". He said: "That is what I typed in and this is what it cross referenced to. The plug you asked for must have been super-ceded". Then I realized what the problem was. So I Googled NGK TR-55s on my phone while I was standing there. I got the part number from the listing and said: "Okay, I want eight NGK part # 3951 spark plugs". The counter man went in the back and came out with eight TR-55s. Viola. Problem solved. He was standing there with eight spark plugs from his inventory that his computer said did not exist.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

A suggestion that i can make to avoid this is to go in and ask for the commercial counter, normally its hidden somewhere in the back. For some unknown reason ( to make more $$$ and take care of big customers) they take the best and brightest counter people and shove them back there. It really is unbelieveable how much better the Commercial guys are.

Mark
Old 12-07-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

i work for autozone and it is sad the knowledge that most of the emplyees have. i recently got replaced by somebody that i had to literally explain positive and negative on a battery too. i went from 30 hours a week to 10 or less because he is bi-leungual(sp?) and i know parts but only one language...
Old 12-08-2010, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dutinsss
i work for autozone and it is sad the knowledge that most of the emplyees have. i recently got replaced by somebody that i had to literally explain positive and negative on a battery too. i went from 30 hours a week to 10 or less because he is bi-leungual(sp?) and i know parts but only one language...
and that's the problem...

they don't care if you know anything about cars
Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To work at an auto parts store, you don't actually ahve to know anythign about cars. You just have to say you like them...at least, that's how it seems. Me & the Ford guy at my local Advance have had some conversations.

****, even when I called Chevy asking for a part # for Corvette rear o2's, they asked me why I wanted them for a Camaro. I explained it to them, and they were just lost.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^thats right. Being car-knowledgeable should be a requirement. Ah who cares I'm just trying to get closer to 10k posts
Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

It seems like Advance always hired people that didn't know anything about cars at all. I was a parts pro/commercial manager for Advance and a ISS for O'Reilly's and I saw more than my share of idiots. If you can get somebody you trust that knows there ****, hang with them. I'll grab the keyboard and look my own parts up and just show them the part number and be gone
Old 12-08-2010, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

I used to work at autozone as well and it does suck that they hire just any idiot that walks in off the street with no knowledge of vehicles. Nowadays I just walk in, look up my own parts, then go pull them myself lol.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Banned

it does suck, but do realize how little these counter guys are getting paid... thats another reason I chose napa. they typically pay higher and can bring in some more knowledgable people.

I dont know that vatozone is regional, but it could just be in states East of Colorado as I have been in many states on this side and at many parts stores and everytime i went to vatozone it was a spanish lesson.

I will say the biggest WTF I have ever had was when I went into a Advance Auto. This girl had worked there for probably 2 years, but I never stood in her line cause I fear how little she would know (but she did have a smoking *** body). Anyways, I got in her line that day and asked her for a distributor gasket for a small block chevy. She looked at me for a minute, then went in the back and came back with a square gasket of which I had no ******* clue what it went to. On the second attempt she brought me what I think was a water pump gasket, it was round at least. So I finally had to tell her a 72 chevy c10 to so she could get it right
Old 12-08-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Geez, you guys are harsh! ...but I have to agree.

Actually I have gotten to the point at the stores I go most of them recognize me and let me work the computers or trust that I have the right part numbers. Sometimes I even get to grab my own parts off the shelves if I'm looking for oddball stuff like radiator hoses, etc. The only thing they do is stand there, smile and talk about music or whatever while they ring me up or place special orders.

everytime i went to vatozone it was a spanish lesson.
I take it you don't speak Spanish and don't want to learn?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree completely especially in the melting pot culture of south fl its hard to find anyone competent in an auto store that isnt napa or bennett. I once went in for a distributor cap for my 66 stang in sig. My car was parked right outside which u could see through the window.... Guy goes what make and model is the car bla bla i tell him and the computer didnt go back to 66 for a mustang... Guy looks at me and says (in broken english) "sir i dont think they made a mustang in 66 the computer doesnt have it" I said hmm would you mind telling me what the hell I'm driving outside then sure looks it says mustang on the side to me. Eventually i just took the keyboard when he wasnt looking, looked it up by part number and got someone else to go get it for me. People these days.....
Old 12-08-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

it does suck, but do realize how little these counter guys are getting paid...
^ Hit the nail on the head. The fact is they are minimum wage employees. They hire people who are qualified to look up parts, run a register, sweep the floors, and that's it. If they were to hire people who were experts in the automotive field then they'd have to pay them a decent wage.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Here's my story---trust me when I say that if you know first gen Camaro's, the crap that came out of this guys mouth is beyond absurd.

In a random coversation about small block chevys, the sales guy started talking about older Chevy's and I mentioned that I had a 67 Camaro project at home. He asked if it was a Z28 and I laughed and said "I wish. We we somehow got to the rear end, and I mentioned that the 12-Bolt on my project had multi-leaf perches so it probably came off of a 68. He went off on a crack-pipe tangent and said that the only First Gen Camaro's that had 12 bolts were "some" SS's and COPO cars. Z28s had 8.5" rears and had 350's, 396's, and 427's.

I laughed a little and said, "I think you mean 302's." He kind of answered with a smug "as a matter of fact" kind of response:

some Z cars had 302's, but only a few to qualify for TransAM. Yup, and the 68's had mono leafs as well. They didn't do multi leafs until half way through 68.

Rather than correct him, I just said thanks and left.

Here is the reality for those of you that want to know:
67 = 602 Z28's were built to qualify the vehicle for the Trans AM Series. They all had 302's.
68, 69=lots more Z28's, and they ALL came with 302's.
12 bolts were on all Z28's, SS's in 67, 68, 69.
Suspension was changed in 68 to multi-leaf springs, EVERY 67 had single leafs.

I can't stand that fact that douches who work at parts stores tend to think that they know more than you. While once in a lifetime you may run into that retired tech who got the job to stay busy, it is usually a dumb-a$$ kid with a fart-can civic that thinks he was the inspiration behind The Fast and Furious.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
^ Hit the nail on the head. The fact is they are minimum wage employees. They hire people who are qualified to look up parts, run a register, sweep the floors, and that's it. If they were to hire people who were experts in the automotive field then they'd have to pay them a decent wage.
One of the stores near me the entire place short of about three are high school kids or possibly a few years older. I've been modding cars longer than they have been alive and I'm not even that old! They don't bother my as much as the 55+ year old guy trying to make a living from it who can't change his own oil because they try to learn.

One of the quirks to our hobby.

Quick Reply: Almost foiled by the parts store counter man again!