General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My SS really a SLP SS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default My SS really a SLP SS?

i originally bought my car at Tidwater imports, or Imports of tidewater.

And i was told it had been there before ansd the guy had just wanted a truck so he traded the car in.

I called slp and they say its car Number 3587. but there are some discrepencies that concern me.

The car when it was bought by the P.O
http://www.importsoftidewater.com/pr...20011081152_11

the car when i bought it
http://www.importsoftidewater.com/pr...0011081150_189

The thing that gets me is

1. the car was labeled as a z28 at first even though it had SS badges

2. the second time(when i bought it) it was labeled as SLP SS.

3. the VIN has some black stuff covering a small bit of it. now it could just be from where the VIN was put in the car

But it makes me think that someone swapped the VIN number.

4. The grille insert that said camaro was gone when i bought the car as you can see. But when it was with the car it only said camaro not SS.

Didnt SSs come with the SS grille insert and not the one that said Camaro?

5. I now know by looking at the pics the P.O added the SLP exhaust, and i knew he put in a radio and pioneer speakers(that he did wrong).

There is a SLP sticker in the door but im just scared that someone pieced the car together.

Is there any other way for me to check and see if my car always was a SS?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isnt the VIN on the RPO code sheet in the door? Check the RPO codes out.

IIRC SS's are really Z28's as well. They are an SS/Z28.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

The SS grille insert was an option, even on the SS. A base SS came with the same grille as a normal Z28.

And yes, all SSs are also Z28s. Every SS started life as a Z28, and was then converted by SLP, this is why every true SS will have BOTH the Z28 and WU8 codes on the SPID sticker.

Now, if you think someone was playing games with the stickers and VIN number on your car, that's a whole different story. All you can do is verify what you can see.

If it is a clone, it sucks that you probably paid a bit more than you should have, but in reality, there isn't a huge value difference between your average mileage, run-of-the-mill SS and a comparable Z28 anyway.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the VIN the same in the windshield as it is in the doorjam?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:30 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

As far as the ads not matching, I think it's just due to a guy actually knowing cars that made the 2nd ad. He listed it as an SS (SLP) b/c he knows a guy that's looking for a car like that will bite immidiately.

You have to remember, even if it is a true SS, the title will still say Z28.... You'd be surprised how many work in the car industry that simply have no idea what they are talking about.

Like RPM said, look for the RPO's. If it has SS floormats or the badge above the radio, it will have Y2Y for SLP options as well. To have Y2Y it didn't have to just be exhaust and intake.

If the vin under the windshield matches the vin on the RPO stickers as well as the SLP sticker, I think you're good.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, most times, your SS is going to come up as a Z28 because that's really what it is, it just has the SS package. I wouldn't be so paranoid man, if SLP was able to identify the car and tell you it's build number, I'm pretty sure it's the real deal.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get too hung up being your car a "REAL" SS. It's not like you bought it new or ordered it through SLP.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like your car didn't have any sort of SLP exhaust from the first for sale posting.

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that when an SS went to SLP the base altercations it received was the dual-dual exhaust (not to be mistaken with the CME) and the SS grille. Now some had more obviously, but I thought if you for sure had an SLP SS you got some kind of upgrade on those two items. My SS is a fully loaded SS, but a "stripper" SLP SS. I only got the dual-dual and the SS grille.

Aren't there numerous places to check a VIN for a car then just the one on the dash and the door jamb? Maybe that will help you verify if someone altered your VIN numbers.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your car is a SS, nuf said.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't worry clearly what happened is the guy who made the first ad didn't know anything about the car and just wanted to list it. There are SEVERAL mistakes in the first ad. First of all it says manual transmission in the listing, which after looking at the pictures its clearly automatic. And secondly he has it listed as a 5 speed which was not a option on V8 cars, they only came with the T-56 6 speed. He even listed the mileage different on the first ad. Another thing he has listed is "dual exhaust" and while some people add this in the second post it says "SLP loudmouth" which is not dual exhaust. its dual tipped but its a Y piped setup.

So I wouldn't worry clearly the guy who wrote the first ad didn't understand that car or cars in general and they latter replaced it with a better written more informed ad that better reflects the actual car.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2k2cam
It looks like your car didn't have any sort of SLP exhaust from the first for sale posting.

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that when an SS went to SLP the base altercations it received was the dual-dual exhaust (not to be mistaken with the CME) and the SS grille. Now some had more obviously, but I thought if you for sure had an SLP SS you got some kind of upgrade on those two items. My SS is a fully loaded SS, but a "stripper" SLP SS. I only got the dual-dual and the SS grille.

Aren't there numerous places to check a VIN for a car then just the one on the dash and the door jamb? Maybe that will help you verify if someone altered your VIN numbers.
No. There were no "base" alterations. It was whatever the car was ordered with. My car was ordered with SLP Dual-dual, floor mats, Key Chains/FOBs and plaque. You car can be a SLP SS simply if it were just ordered with floor mats(I've seen this before). My car also didn't come with the SLP SS Grill, I added that later. I bought my car from the original owner and have a 2inch thick folder with everything ever done to the car, original SLP window sticker etc.

OP. Confirm you have RPO WU8 on the drivers door, then confirm you have RPO Y2Y, which would be SLP options. You'd also have the second SLP sticker stating modifications.

Also another thing to check if you think stickers might be wrong or fakes you can check the sticker with the tire size. ONLY SS's came with Z rated 275/40/17's. A Z28 or V6 would have 245/16's. Ultimately you caan just email SLP your vin and they can confirm its an SS and any SLP options. This is how I found out my car was #7096.

Also FWIW Looking at the first ad you can clearly see the Stock SS catback tips, and second ad you can see the SLP Loud Mouth Tips which were never put on a car form the factory. I believe you have an SS, just not a SLP optioned SS.

Last edited by oChristiano; 08-02-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 2k2cam
I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that when an SS went to SLP the base altercations it received was the dual-dual exhaust (not to be mistaken with the CME) and the SS grille.
No, that is not how it worked at all. Every SS went to SLP for conversion, even ones that have zero Y2Y options. Grille and dual/dual were costed options, above and beyond the base "WU8" SS package.

BTW, dual/dual and CME are the same exact catback, other than the tips and lower body molding. But the muffler and I-pipe are the same between the two.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i checked. it has WU8 Y2Y Z28

and it was supposed to have the 17 inch rims,

so i guess it all checks out

but it just has the basic camaro badge over the radio.

Last edited by Nick V.; 08-03-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Nick V.
but it just has the basic camaro badge over the radio.
That's ok, this is correct for an SS as well, unless it was ordered with the dash plaque. I'm surprised that SLP wasn't able to tell you which Y2Y options your VIN originally received, when you called them before.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
That's ok, this is correct for an SS as well, unless it was ordered with the dash plaque. I'm surprised that SLP wasn't able to tell you which Y2Y options your VIN originally received, when you called them before.
they probably could have how ever i didnt think about asking them.

I called in may when i first got the car. i didnt think there where different ss options.

i figured ss was one package with no other options.

when i find the number ill definatly call them again tho.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Y2Y options, if any will be on that SLP door label.

Also I believe in `02 all SS had the Y2Y rpo on the sticker whether they were ordered with SLP options or not. It's been many years now, I remeber that from the old SLP forum.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Ya I thought the only base ss options were hood/wheels/spoiler...
Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by baalic
Ya I thought the only base ss options were hood/wheels/spoiler...
Hood/Spoiler/Wheels/Front sway bar/P/S Cooler/GU5 3.23's for Auto GU6 3.42's for M6. Few other things.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

3.23 was still an option i thought. Z28's could get both..
Old 08-07-2011, 01:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by baalic
3.23 was still an option i thought. Z28's could get both..
GU5 (3.23) was a required option for a WS6, WU8 (SS) or WU6 (Firehawk) with MX0/M30 (auto 4L60E).

It was not possibile to get an automatic SS with anything but 3.23s stock.

Quick Reply: My SS really a SLP SS?