General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

keep this part or part with it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question keep this part or part with it?

ok guys ive been lurking and buying on ls1tech for some time. lots of useful information even in the search... but now its time to get some real help. im in the process of buying the finishing parts for my lq4 build and before assembly id like some opinions on some parts i should change or keep. my plans for it are going in a 1988 gmc s15 single cab short box pickup so that should be fun.. i hand ported the heads, mainly just took out the raised material around the valve guides. the heads have been milled .036 for a total cc volume of 65. ill prolly have to flycut but im fine with that. i still havent bought my cam waitin for the right used one to come up. i do have tho one part in question, its a unported weiand intake manifold. the aluminum one with john lingenfelters sig cast on it. should i keep this or ditch it? i plan on runnin nitrous (wanted a wet direct port setup plumbed by myself with purchased nozzles) and was told this is good insurance incase of a backfire. and now i read that im going way overkill for havin only a 100~125 shot on a direct port setup when a plate would work fine? before you ask why only 125, i dont honestly think the truck will handle more power than that and we only run 1/8 mile here. other than this i have the arp rod bolts and oil pump and timing set. so really i just rambled on a bunch of nothing all to ask if i should keep the weiand or sell it cut my losses and get a ls6? is it really that much worse than other intakes? i dont want to drop the coin on a fast because that would kill the budget part of it... thanks for all the help and dont worry ill be askin for more in the future
Old 10-30-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 11-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Teching In

got a good buddy running 500 horse on the ls6 intake and almost 750 on the sauce, had one bad backfire and blew apart the air filter housing but didn't hurt the intake.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

i have the Weiland and love it..

I purchased it for the same reasons that you listed (im running nitrous and wanted the insurance of a metal intake).

What i really love about it is that you can go pretty exstensive with the porting ...
Old 11-02-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the information. im thinking about switching to a carb and victor jr because im sick of dealing with the tuning issues but i still think im gunna have issues getting it dialed in..... i dont have a dyno anywhere near me and i have never used a efi tuning system.. any suggestions to my issue?