General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Broke something?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broke something?

I was driving today and at idle, my car would make a rattling noise, at first I thought it was part of my exhaust or something similar... But pulling through 3rd gear, I broke/blew something. All of a sudden the motor died and I noticed smoke just coming out the back and oil pres. Dropped to 0. It was leaking(and still is) leaking oil... Anyone know what I broke? I was thinking maybe the tranny? There's oil coming out of it but I cant exactly spot the origin of the leak since It's not up on jacks. Car wont start as is...

Any input would help

-Marcus

Last edited by need2speed94; 11-02-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by need2speed94
All of a sudden the motor died and I noticed smoke just coming out the back and oil pres. Dropped to 0. It was leaking(and still is) leaking oil... Anyone know what I broke? I was thinking maybe the tranny? Car wont start as is
If oil pressure dropped to 0 and the engine won't start, why would you think this has anything to do with the transmission?

Was pressure at 0 before or after the engine died?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If oil pressure dropped to 0 and the engine won't start, why would you think this has anything to do with the transmission?

Was pressure at 0 before or after the engine died?

That's why I'm really confused? There was a **** ton of oil leaking from the tranny...? So who knows what's up with it :/ . It all happened so fast... I *believe it dropped before it died.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if your rear main seal got messed up it would look like oil is comming from your tranny. Is the oil you speak of red or black?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

*believe it dropped before it died.
If pressure went to 0 before the engine died, and it now won't start, then you should get prepared for engine rebuild/replacement.

Does the engine still crank at least, when you tried to start it?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SportGoldSS
Well if your rear main seal got messed up it would look like oil is comming from your tranny. Is the oil you speak of red or black?
I stuck my camera under to get a quick video to see if i could see anything and it looks like there's oil coming from the tranny... I couldn't tell, most of it drained out when I was still driving in the process of getting it pulled off to the side of the road... and the rest that leaked mixed with all the dirt from the street so it was black? So I'm not sure at all what color it originally was.

If pressure went to 0 before the engine died, and it now won't start, then you should get prepared for engine rebuild/replacement.

Does the engine still crank at least, when you tried to start it?
Ahh man that would be horrible... Nope won't even turn over.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

If this helps... I'm just remembering certain details from when this happened; I was pulling hard in 3rd up at about 4-5k rpm and all of a sudden I just hear a Bang and the motor died/oil pressure was gone, oil was just spilling out on the road. Before all of this, I heard a slight knocking noise coming from about where the y pipe meets the down pipe... I didn't think much of it, thought it was a loose bolt or something minor -_-
Old 11-03-2011, 12:07 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Ahh man that would be horrible... Nope won't even turn over.
Previous knocking from the engine, then a loud bang and 0 oil pressure, then engine dies, plus black oil on the road, followed by an engine that won't even crank = time for a new engine.

Sorry man. It's not looking good.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

Previous knocking from the engine, then a loud bang and 0 oil pressure, then engine dies, plus black oil on the road, followed by an engine that won't even crank = time for a new engine.

Sorry man. It's not looking good.
Damn... I really hope it's not that serious :/ I'm praying that I'm just misremembering and that I lost oil pressure after it died... but what really worries me is that it wont even crank I would go take another look to gather some more info but it's dark out, maybe I'll go out there with a light, I need some closure on what happened :/
Old 11-03-2011, 12:18 AM
11 Second Club

I vote for a thrown rod. Start looking for a new added window to your block. 98's were said to have weaker rod bolts. Sorry bud.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SM105K
I vote for a thrown rod. Start looking for a new added window to your block. 98's were said to have weaker rod bolts. Sorry bud.
I was thinking that at first but it just didn't seem to be a big possibility to me? My motor is bone stock, nothing fancy that would be too much for stock internals to handle ya know? Who knows... I'll most likely have the diagnostic up on here tomorrow :/ Well if the damage requires a new motor, I'm mostly likely going to be without a car for awhile unless I can find a low mileage LS1 at pick-n-pull that's useable. Man this sucks....
Old 11-03-2011, 12:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

'98 rod bolts should hold up as well as any other year when kept within the stock rpm limits (6200 or less). They can become an issue when pushed harder then that though. But of course, any part can fail with enough time and wear, even at stock power/rpm levels.

That knocking was probably your first indication of a problem, and the high rpm pull you did likely sent the engine to it's grave.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, sounds like you threw a rod...
Old 11-03-2011, 12:53 AM
TECH Regular

'98 rod bolts should hold up as well as any other year when kept within the stock rpm limits (6200 or less). They can become an issue when pushed harder then that though. But of course, any part can fail with enough time and wear, even at stock power/rpm levels.

That knocking was probably your first indication of a problem, and the high rpm pull you did likely sent the engine to it's grave.
Yea it was a rattling noise that you could hear sometimes when you would take off slowly... like a normal take off, not a launch. And yea I've been driving it pretty hard, shifting at about 6000-6100(right before the limiter).
Old 11-03-2011, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with the others that your motor is probably toast. The reason you think it's trans fluid is because that engine oil is going to travel back as you are driving so it probably coated the trans with oil. I'm sure if you get under the car you'll see a ton of oil under the motor and maybe even a rod sticking out of the block.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
I agree with the others that your motor is probably toast. The reason you think it's trans fluid is because that engine oil is going to travel back as you are driving so it probably coated the trans with oil. I'm sure if you get under the car you'll see a ton of oil under the motor and maybe even a rod sticking out of the block.
I'm praying it's till intact... but I'm just preparing myself for the worst. Well I guess it's safe to tell people right now that I threw a rod I guess, won't know until later today but when I do I'll put up exactly went wrong up on here.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Found out I threw a rod... R.I.P. LS1
Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Found out I threw a rod... R.I.P. LS1
Hate to here that man.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WS6SP33D
Hate to here that man.
Yea I'm probably gonna be without a car for awhile unless I find a cheap way to get it back up and running... maybe a new shortblock, rods, bearings, etc. whatever else I need... instead of a whole new longblock :/
Old 11-04-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 114 Likes on 83 Posts

How many miles on it she died?