General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Tuning Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tuning Questions

I have ordered HP Tuners. I want to know what changes I should make to my stock Vette. Timing? A/F ratio? Does any one know where to get a tune downloaded from?
Old 11-18-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

before you even touch the car do some reading. You will want a wide band o2 sensor to go with the HP tuners.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no "perfect tune" as every car is different. There are baseline numbers but based on your mods there might be more changes to be made. And honestly while a tune could be incredibly helpful and add a lot of power, if not done correctly they can really screw your car up. So unless you honestly know what your doing and understand what your changing I would just take it to someone who knows what there doing.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

exactly. its gonna cost more to fix a mistake compaired to bringing it to a professional for 300 bucks. we do have a tuning section that will help you out more if you chose to do so that way
Old 11-19-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you have ***** tuning your own car but ive been the victim of a so called professional hack tunes.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:18 PM
12 Second Club

your asking where to download tunes from... hp tuners has a tune repository on your login page - but do not flash someone elses tune in your car the likelihood of frying your pcm is high , instead you would want to copy it over ... but also dont trust that someones tune is a good one particularly for your car and the weather/altitude/available fuel in your area as well as many other factors

a wideband was mentioned above - its the only way to adjust fueling with any type of accuracy , narrowbands are only accurate at stoich ( lambda1) any time your wot you would need a wideband to read your afr accurately

another option for you is to team up with a tuner and use your scans/tune sent to him , he adjusts your tune and you use your tuner to flash his tune.may take a couple scans/flashes to dial it in.

Frost is well known on here for tuning lsx vehicles remotely and is a well respected member on hp tuners forum - he has great comprehension of all the factors involved to get a good and safe tune
Old 11-20-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
So unless you honestly know what your doing and understand what your changing I would just take it to someone who knows what there doing.
What better way to understand tuning than by doing your research and tuning yourself?...doing research being the key term
Old 11-20-2011, 09:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have tuned both my cars with major help from a good friend of mine. After hearing him tell me some horror stories of shops in our area and the jobs that they do I don't think I'd trust any shop except if they were a close friend or relative that owned it/was the main tuner there. I'll stick to letting my buddy give me pointers and take the credit myself Jon I know your reading this LOL!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Banned

start here:

http://ls1tuningguide.com/index.php

i have the greg banish SME-DVD1 and SME-DVD2 , if your interested in a more detailed tuning sources..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBk0KudOVAg
Old 11-20-2011, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I've been messing with it and learning on my own..I have a wideband and I've gotten my cars aswell as other onpoint and whoopin ***..
Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I am working on the 4.8L I am going to install in my Chevelle at this point. Didn't want to mess with my Vette until I learn alot more. I managed to delete the VATS and I changed to the 2bar os system, I got rid of the MAF. I have the engine running on the stand with a stock pump in a bucket of gas lol.... but idles like crap. I didnt change anything in the tune I downloaded from the HP Tuners repository but I have now spent 4 of my 8 creds and want to be very thrifty with them. I would like to eventually tune the Vette. Need creds for that.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
I have tuned both my cars with major help from a good friend of mine. After hearing him tell me some horror stories of shops in our area and the jobs that they do I don't think I'd trust any shop except if they were a close friend or relative that owned it/was the main tuner there. I'll stick to letting my buddy give me pointers and take the credit myself Jon I know your reading this LOL!
What do you think? That I read all your posts?
Old 11-24-2011, 06:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
I got rid of the MAF..... but idles like crap..
removing the maf and not tuning the car for no maf is likely your issue with idle - I know its not in a car yet but it will need to be to get it tuned whether on a load bearing dyno or on the road.

Greg Banish wasc mentioned above he is a calibrator at the oem level and knows what makes these pcm's tick.

I have his book advanced engine management and tuning and have read it cover to cover at least 10 times and opened it up to refer to something many ,many times $16.95 well spent. I dont have his dvd's but they come highly recommended.

another option is the tuning school learn at home course , comes with dvd and step by step printed tuning guides as well as I believe its 1 year of phone/ e mail support to get you tuned up.

are you going to get the 4.8 in the chevelle and get it tuned normally aspirated before going twin turbo ?

reason I ask is adding all that boost means you will also need to change a lot of peripherals such as fuel pump and injectors to feed it , your air fuel ratios under load will all need to be richened up once boosted and changing injectors without understanding proper injector characterization , what injectors can be properly characterized , how to do it not to mention tuning for all the added airflow your going to get with the turbos and if a cam change is being thrown in the mix also.... it may be smart to know the engine is in and tuned before adding all these extra demands on your tuning skills

crawl ,walk ,run...
Old 11-29-2011, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good Point... I am putting LS6 cam and springs in and Aeromotive A1000 pump and regulator for boost. Was seriously considering running the engine NA first. Also going to use 60 lb/hr injectors. No intercooler at first, that is the last step in my project. Hopefully I can get a T56 to put behind it.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Theres a sticky that has bins for this