General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

2000 Trans Am Temp guage issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2000 Trans Am Temp guage issues

Hi All, 2000 Trans Am stock radiator, water pump died on me about 1.5 to 2 years ago so i replaced that and had not had a problem since. The other day I drove a friend to the airport about half way home i realized that my temp abnormally high(getting above 210)and would go down a little and then climb back up all the way to 260 or so and then go back down to 210 or so. I had to let the car sit all weekend, fast foward a few days I go look at there the dipstick in the overflow bottle read 0 fluid even when warmed up so i drove to autozone and bought some coolant and filled to a good level. drove home all the way and thought i had the problem fixed. Well i drive around the neighborhood to see if it happens again and sure enough it did. The temp would go almost to 260 and then drop back down to 210 or so right after. I dont see any fluid leaking on the ground or anything so i do not think i have a leak. any ideas? Bad cap?
Old 11-29-2011, 04:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

When it happened the second time, after you added the fluid, was it then low on fluid again?

The coolant has to be going somewhere noticeable if it's low again that quickly. If it's not leaking, then it could be burning.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Teching In

no. fluid is not low. I just went and tried again and the temp guage started to go up again. Let the engine run while temp was high and looked under the hood. I do not see any visible leaks or anything. Will prob have to take it to the shop tomorrow ;(
Old 11-29-2011, 04:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by DolamiteWS6
no. fluid is not low. I just went and tried again and the temp guage started to go up again. Let the engine run while temp was high and looked under the hood. I do not see any visible leaks or anything. Will prob have to take it to the shop tomorrow ;(
Are both fans working? If the gauge hit 260° then the high speed should have been activated, and you should have been able to hear that with the hood up for sure. Even if you could hear it, it might be a good idea to check that both are working.

Check in front of the condenser for debris blocking air flow as well.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:59 AM
Teching In

Replaced the pressure cap this morning since it was one of the simple things to check. Temp stayed normal. *fingers crossed*
Old 11-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Update: Went to check on the car during lunch break. took it out for a short spin after letting the temp warm up, drove around for a bit, came back and let it sit in the lot for a while, turned the A/C on and the temp got to about 200 so i guess it has been resolved. Havent taken it out on a good spin yet though... drive home from work will be a good judge.