General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

cam help

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default cam help

I'm just looking for advice on a cam.My car is a pretty much stock 2000 trans am non ws6 with the t56, slp airbox,loudmouth exhaust and a spec 2 clutch.I'm looking for something good mostly on the low end I'm not going to be shifting at 6500 or anything like that.I would like to be as close to 400hp to the ground as possible without spraying,also I don't mind noise honestly the louder and angrier the better any advice is appreciated thanks.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Do yourself a favor and get some lt's, ory and possibly a ls6 intake first before you do a cam. Whats the point in having a cam if it can't breath? But anyway you would want something around the 230 range, but even then you will still rev past 6000

Your not going to hit 400rwhp with just a cam. You need some supporting mods to help get you there. Even then you may still not get 400. But you will be damn close
Old 12-01-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gluemakerls1
I'm just looking for advice on a cam.My car is a pretty much stock 2000 trans am non ws6 with the t56, slp airbox,loudmouth exhaust and a spec 2 clutch.I'm looking for something good mostly on the low end I'm not going to be shifting at 6500 or anything like that.I would like to be as close to 400hp to the ground as possible without spraying,also I don't mind noise honestly the louder and angrier the better any advice is appreciated thanks.
I am currently making 360whp with intake and true dual exhaust and a dyno tune. I called Thunder Racing and told them I wanted to break 400whp with my current set up (motor is all stock) and they referred me to the TruTorque Level...2 I think. And that was going to allow me to still pass smog. Maybe go with their level 3 which will bring you some more power and thump
Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do yourself a favor and get some lt's, ory and possibly a ls6 intake first before you do a cam. Whats the point in having a cam if it can't breath? But anyway you would want something around the 230 range, but even then you will still rev past 6000
this, i would never do a cam without ATLEAST long tubes, when you do go for a cam, i was looking for about the same thing you are wanting, power down low in mid range, got the Torquer V3 from Texas Speed and love it.....
Old 12-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Teching In

I was planning on a tune and headers as well just not sure the right way to go about it I guess.Will I need to get a tune after just adding an intake or would it be best to wait until after a cam?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pretty sure any new intake will require a tune, headers definitely will. you could always do everything at once and save on multiple tunes
Old 12-02-2011, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Sounds like I'll stockpile the parts and do it all at once thanks guys
Old 12-02-2011, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

i +1 the torquer V3. love the cam in my car!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gluemakerls1
I was planning on a tune and headers as well just not sure the right way to go about it I guess.Will I need to get a tune after just adding an intake or would it be best to wait until after a cam?
No, you don't need a tune if your just adding headers and intake, but the car won't run to it's full potential either. It may run a little rich from all the new found air coming in and going out but it won't hurt anything. If you do a cam swap you will definitely need a dyno or street tune after that, but I wouldn't waste my money on a tune now if your just doing a few bolt on's seeing how dyno time usually runs about $500 for a few pulls or $150 for a mail order tune. It can get pricey pretty quick!

Check out some of the sponsors for headers. Don't waste your time with shorty headers or mid-lenghts. Get yourself some long tubes and be done with it. Lt's will net you the most hp. If your on a budget, get some armor coated Pacesetter's. If you have a lot of money to drop, then shoot for some stainless steel headers.

Better yet, read this! https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html

Last edited by bstuby; 12-02-2011 at 06:02 AM.