General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

TREX CAM and yank converter???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TREX CAM and yank converter???

i have a mostly stock 00 ls1 camaro..i have exhaust and bolt on's i am wanting ya'lls opinion on what cam and converter...i really like the sound of the trex cam and i also like the yank converter....just need yall too narrrow it down too size shape and color!...thanks guys!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

im still pretty new to matching cams and converters, but a cam that size your gunna need atleast a 3600-4000. any specific reason you want that cam? what are your goals for the car?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:04 PM
10 Second Club

Pick a cam. Then dyno then get a converter to match. Something in the 23x/23x should be nice enough for you.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:13 PM

if i can run 7 40s 8th mile i will be happy...i may spray the car later idk...mainly a street machine i had just heard the trex cam worked good unless yall say another one.....

i have never heard of using a dyno too see what converter...i am open too all sugestions
Old 12-11-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by realstreetoutlaw
if i can run 7 40s 8th mile i will be happy...i may spray the car later idk...mainly a street machine i had just heard the trex cam worked good unless yall say another one.....

i have never heard of using a dyno too see what converter...i am open too all sugestions
if i cant get 740 with what i got plus cam and converter then i will spray it now...but if i gas it i better see some 690s
Old 12-11-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

before you start buying stuff start reading more on here about cams and converters and what works. youll learn bigger isnt always better.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by mjs1012
before you start buying stuff start reading more on here about cams and converters and what works. youll learn bigger isnt always better.
oh yeah i know that its all about a good combo...i know some one on here has done this...and knows the comb
Old 12-11-2011, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Get a 3600 good for n/a and will take spray well to.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by realstreetoutlaw
...i really like the sound of the trex cam
That is the absolute wrong reason to pick any cam. You should pick one that compliments your preferred driving/useage habits, not one that might force you to change how you drive/use the car just to match a certain power band.

First, decide on how big of a converter you want to deal with, that will give you a certain indication of cam size range. Some people don't mind driving around with a 4500 stall, but some don't like it.

Also, if you pick a cam that requires regular engine speeds excessively beyond the stock redline at WOT, you'll need to be prepared for further accelerated wear in several areas (valvetrain, rod bolts, and even transmission [higher shift points = increased stress for an automatic]).

Lots of things to think about and prepare for. The only time you should ever use "how it sounds" as the primary consideration for a given part is when choosing an exhaust system.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:31 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
First, decide on how big of a converter you want to deal with, that will give you a certain indication of cam size range. Some people don't mind driving around with a 4500 stall, but some don't like it.
What sort of driving characteristics do you encounter when driving around with a higher stall?
Old 12-12-2011, 01:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
What sort of driving characteristics do you encounter when driving around with a higher stall?
The engine will rev more easily in gear, and need to be revved higher to accelerate normally at part throttle as compared to stock. This is usually referred to as "looseness". The higher the stall, the more these conditions will be exaggerated, though most people will get used to anything up to a 3500 stall pretty quickly and without issue (some barely even notice it and wish they had gone higher). Once you get above a 4000 stall though, the looseness aspects will bother some people, but not everyone.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:00 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i couldnt agree more with rpmws6, big cams are not a budget way of going fast,you can get something alot better on a much ,much smaller profile and still have it sound badass,max effort cams need max effort parts, there is nothing budget about the trex,or any other donkey cam,and it takes alot to get them to run, so many make the mistake of picking a cam due to the fact it sounds badass in a youtube idle clip, dont be one of those guys, be smart.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:11 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the t rex puts all your power in the higher rpm range, on stock gearing ,with a near stock everything else it will be a dog down low, i think in your other post you said you wanted to keep it more of a street car right? imo for a street car you want a good low mid range cam, now if your building a race car by all means go for it, i think its a great cam for that, listen 90% of people that run big cams do not have them set up right,that is why they get a bad rap, you set up a big cam perfect you will love it at the strip, it just takes alot more mods , a nice cam,setup with some great heads will give you a very strong running car,
Old 12-12-2011, 06:30 PM

look im a mustang man i have been 480s with a sbf race car and 570s sbf street car..i know my fords...ls1's i dont know diddly...i am asking yall! yall are the experts i want this z28 too roll...i like too beat the street...i dont like the idea of some punk in a mustang dusting me off on the street....i know the car needs a cam and converter...everyone on here has said that....just tell me what one too buy...im not on a buget....if i spray the car and sling the pistons through the mufflers...sh*t happens...just help me out here...im ready too make something happen......chances are most of the guys on here have went through this....THANKS!!!