General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Oil Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pan Gasket

Hey guys, so my car has had an oil leak for a long time and recently it had gotten much worse (about 1 quart a month, but I keep a pretty vigilant eye on the oil level). I expected the rear main seal, and took it to my shop. They quoted me $699 and I know that is about what shops charge for a RMS because I called a few to compare and I know the tranny has to be dropped and all that so I told them to do it, but then they told me the oil pan gasket is leaking too and quoted me $549 for it. I told them just to do the RMS because $549 for a pan gasket just seems outrageous to me, I can't see where that figure comes from. Is that quote crazy or is it just me? Thanks.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

they should do the oil pan gasket while the trans is out. if not they have to drop the k member to get the pan out. if they drop the pick up tube into the pan with the trans out i think the pan will come out the back.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Launching!

The shop wanted an additional $549 for the oil pan gasket? So to do both the pan and RMS it would cost you $1250? That seems like a lot to me as well... Then again, I haven't replaced mine yet.