General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

K&N or SLP CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N or SLP CAI?

Just bought a 98 TA LS1 and trying to decide which cai intake to go with. i heard the slp was rated at more hp gain but sometime had problems with fitting correctly. but i have heard good and bad things about, was hopig to get some input from people that actaually own these parts.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fast Toys makes the best lid.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NVUSZ28
Fast Toys makes the best lid.
im not looking for just the lid. cause slp sells the lid then they sell the package that comes with a k&n filter.
idk if u just meant the lid?
Old 01-03-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a fan of the K&N intake and I dont like SLP for mostly anything as I think its all overpriced. Look into the Fast toys ram air, Chris1313 (Speed Inc has them on their site), or the Super Sucker Ram Air. WS6store has the SSRA. Any of these 3 are good viable option. I also would look into a different lid if you still have the stock one. SLP is good I had one, it fit pretty good and if your going to keep you MAF I'd say go with that one. If your going to be going with a larger MAF or thinking of going speed density check out the larger lids by Fast Toys.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:59 AM
Teching In

Ya ive been lookinig into them. ive only had the car for 2 weeks. so a different lid and maybe k&n filter? how exactly does the lid help? just looks like the black plastic one the ls1 comes with? i dont have a ram air hood either. idk if that makes a difference. sorry for all the questions just trying to find out what is the best parts to use for now
Old 01-03-2012, 02:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The k&n in my opinion is only good if you have a Ws6 or You hack the hell out of The bottom plate. Not to mention its stupidly over priced. There is a reason you don't see them on hardly any cars.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The lid consolidates the air to go directly into the throttle body. Ram Air doesn't matter.

Don't worry about questions, it's what we're here for.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

The aftermarket lids do not have those big sections that reduce your air speed. Ram air is not really that effective on these cars, so your moving in the right direction with a CAI.

Get yourself a SLP lid and one of the CAI I mentioned and you will see a nice gain.

Don't forget to check the classifieds for a good deal on a lid.

Your fine with asking questions just don't forget about the search function, almost everything you can think of has been answered several times over in here.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:17 AM
Teching In

The lid consolidates the air to go directly into the throttle body. Ram Air doesn't matter.

thanks bro!
so if you had 300 or less to spend on a cai or different lid/k&n filter or something what would you do?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

As long as your car is tuned up and it good working order I cant think of a better set of mods for the price. This is a good place to start.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:48 AM
Teching In

okay what about water being sucked into the ram air?? i daily drive this car and want to be able to drive it no matter if its raining or theres a puddle i have to go through

Last edited by TAkid23; 01-03-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With an SSRA/CAI there could be a little bit of a problem, but that's what the air dam is there for.

Ditto on what My6speedZ said about a place to start. For the money a lid, MAF, Filter and a CAI or SSRA you'll feel noticeable gains. Also for first time upgrades I'd buy a set of MSD wires, and a ASP Underdrive pulley. These are your normal "bolt-ons" minus headers and exhaust. You can also do some free mods, like AIR delete.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a thread about the SSRA my friend posted.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...ions-pics.html
Old 01-03-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

If your wires don't need to be replaced don't bother replacing them, you won't gain anything.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ram Air does matter. A FTRA like I have or the one fabricated by a member and sold by SPEEDINC the "Chris1313" improve volumetric efficiency. Read this article and see what you think.
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

QUOTE=TAkid23;15794241]
so if you had 300 or less to spend on a cai or different lid/k&n filter or something what would you do?[/QUOTE]

Buy a decent Lid, a regular paper filter and either Chris's setup or Fast Toys ram Air. Stay away from the Clear lids. they are crap and are prome to cracking.

Last edited by NC98Z; 01-03-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My friend has the K&N on his Trans Am, totally not worth the $300 or whatever the ridiculous price is on those things. I would just buy a regular lid, then do one of the free intake mods. That way you will be outflowing the K&N by a longshot and doing so at almost half the price.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

With an SSRA/CAI there could be a little bit of a problem, but that's what the air dam is there for.

Ditto on what My6speedZ said about a place to start. For the money a lid, MAF, Filter and a CAI or SSRA you'll feel noticeable gains. Also for first time upgrades I'd buy a set of MSD wires, and a ASP Underdrive pulley. These are your normal "bolt-ons" minus headers and exhaust. You can also do some free mods, like AIR delete.
the SSRA and CAI kits will help a little bit, but comparing the K&N and an aftermarket lid the gains are exactly the same ~10 HP, only difference is the K&N costs a lot more. ALL air filters are the same, a K&N filter compared to a clean paper filter will produce the same numbers. And I also would not touch the MAF, People make 5-600 HP with the stock MAF without any problem, no reason to replace it same goes with spark plug wires, MSD's work but if your stockers are in good working order no reason to replace them
Old 01-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Launching!

the k&n intake is just ugly imo-- Id much rather have a SLP lid or any other brand for that matter. Gives the underhood a much cleaner look
Old 01-03-2012, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
My friend has the K&N on his Trans Am, totally not worth the $300 or whatever the ridiculous price is on those things. I would just buy a regular lid, then do one of the free intake mods. That way you will be outflowing the K&N by a longshot and doing so at almost half the price.

not necessarily, the K&N flows extremely well, it just pulls hot engine compartment air. the reason its not worth the 300+ dollars for it is because in order for the &/hp ratio to be on par or better than a lid/FTRA..ect...you have to modify it to have a path to direct outside air. which in my opinion, is pointless. i have a hard time spending that kind of money on something I have to modify to make it work as well as something half the price.

also, if you have a WS6 hood, and dead set on something other than a lid setup, the Voliant setup is the best. it actually seals to the hood, and I have seen good gains by de-baffling the WS6 hood and mating it to a Voliant CAI setup. It is bulky and kinda cheap looking but it works pretty good.

http://www.lmperformance.com/2387/.html
Old 01-03-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SLP CAI gets real hot next to the radiator and it raised
my IAT readings by a couple tens of degrees when added
to the stock SS setup. Any "ramming" is trivial, forget it.

If you seal across the top of the radiator support so the
lid can't draw engine bay air, and relieve the air path into
the space above the divider panel (black plastic in front
of the radiator space), there is cool air there. This is
what the K&N FIPK tries to do, only I'm not convinced
the baffle-plate is all that effective (could be modded
of course).

I'd get a used lid and forget retail.

Quick Reply: K&N or SLP CAI?