General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why does everyone hate convertibles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, 99% of all convertibles look like ****. They just make a good looking car with a powerful engine look girly. The car that I have wanted for years looks like absolute dog ****, IMO, as a convertible. If I want to be more exposed to the weather while driving, I will get a street bike.

Not only that, you cannot buy the top performance sub model trim options of vehicles in a convertible. Example being the corvette z06. Whereas, corvette models with lower performance packages have the convertible option, and I am not interested in those models. Yes I know there is a reason for this, safety for one.

Another thing that always concerned me about convertibles... theft. Not the car itself, but having easier access to anything inside the car.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

To answer the oringinal question: Simply enough, it takes away the symetrical design of our f-body. It doesn't look like a "muscle car" with the T-Top assembly not their. Just like the 2012 camaro looks like a puss in convertable mode. Should've stuck with T-top design. Unless your a woman or upper middle aged trying to feel/look young again...Then the convertable looks ok
Old 01-22-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my convertible. I'm so happy I got it.

When I get in a T-Top F-Body, I feel crapped. Plus T-tops are a pain in the *** compared to the convertible...I'm down in 10 seconds, all from the comfort of my seat.
So funny, I think it takes me 12 seconds to put my tops in my trunk, then agian... I'm extremely tired when I've accomplished this tricky task.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Teching In

come on guys verts aren't that bad
Old 01-22-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still prefer the look of a Convertible with a roll bar over any other Fbody out there but thats just my opinion of course...

Old 01-22-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like a skeleton of where the "body" T-tops go...
Old 01-22-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
Jealousy?

Dedicated vert drivers are a different breed; they want the looks, performance and heritage of the car but they want the option of going topless and aren't trying to squeeze every ounce of performance out of their car; they just want to cruise in power and style.

Oh, and unless you're a complete ***-hat you will get laid in that car...
Originally Posted by ragtopz28
^this
+1

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert
Only thing that ever pissed me off about any of these cars is when people take the T tops off or put the top down AND roll up the windows...god damn! Do you guys realize how gay that looks!!!

Anyways I get a lot of respect in my car and only hate from people who never owned a Camaro in general. I like when someone tell's me about my car like they know more about it then I do i.e weight disadvantages from a hard top or T top car like the 100lb difference makes it a waste of money lol.

I do agree that these cars look plain without a roll bar but women ****** love it no matter what so unless your trying to pick up on some dudes enjoy your convertible.
Originally Posted by MuscleCarNut711

Quoted for the truth, but opinions do vary.
Fbodies do look "MEAN" Ttop/hardtop.
Verts are for cruising & exactly what I do.

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
the only reason why its nicer is bcz your lt1 was a POS all the way around.. from the blown motors to the appearance.

see ya friday lol
LOL , Now thats some funny **** i read all day today.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I'm going to say in this thread is that I love the idea of convertibles, especially since our summers are very nice (but short) here in Seattle. I LOVE cruising in convertibles. My Dad has a 1969 SS Camaro convertible, and I love driving and riding in that thing.

However, I don't buy them because, 95 percent of the time, they don't look aesthetically appealing to me.

I feel like I scored with the T-top design/compromise with my Camaro.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I honestly dont understand what you guys find ugly in verts..
Personally I hate the huge rear window on the coupe/t-top cars and think the verts look better . the only thing id prefer over my vert is a nice WS6 with the high rise spoiler but id still hate that big *** window at the back..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I think it looks good both top down and top up .. it weights a bit more , might need a little more maintenance down the road but you guys make it sound like its diseased

Especially living somewhere with sunshine and relatively warm weather throughout the year , I wouldnt change my vert for a t-top ever ..
Might I add my car has been left out alot in the sun , and the rain and my top is in pretty good condition , and they dont leak after 2 drops of rain ..
Old 01-23-2012, 05:57 AM
Banned

chick cars, leaks, easy to break into, structurally weaker, etc
Old 01-23-2012, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Could you imagine the oringinal BANDIT in convertable mode, **** no. The T-Top" is the "oringinal" muscle car look. Verts are not for 4th generations.<< notice that period... The T-top design is absoulete, dime a dozen. The vert just takes too much away from the symmetrical design. Take away the ws6 or cowl hood, put top down, you get a plan straight line lexus looking convertable. Just my, and the majority of this threads imao.
So could you imagine the oringinal BANDIT a vert....nope......hmmm why........exactly.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 AM
Banned

Convertibles, especially older ones are horrible. I will never own another soft top convertible.

1. They squeak and rattle more than a hard top
2. Convertible tops don't last as long, and when they do start to go you get rain inside
3. They weigh more.
4. You hear all the extra wind noise even when the top is up.
5. If the top ever breaks down, I.E. the motor or it develops a tear, it costs at least $1,000 to replace.

Convertibles suck, unless you buy it brand new and rarely drive it.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

To each his own, but I love mine and there are no less stories about leaking convertibles than there are T-tops.

I think most ppl who hate convertibles never had one.

From an added weight standpoint, you can't tell the difference while driving it. That's like having a teenager in your car - it's not like having a passenger suddenly completely changes the driving characteristics of the car.

The noise isn't an issue with me anyway - hell, I have a cammed car with longtubes - it's loud already so whats a little wind noise.

As for the Bandit - it might have 'looked' like a muscle car, but a Toyota Camry right now would beat a stock one. Those things were actually SLOW. The producers of the movie even admitted to having to use nitrous oxide for some scenes b/c the car as it was, was too slow. I enjoyed the movie as well, but to simply think convertibles look bad b/c the bandit trans am was a t-top car, and all muscle cars should be t-toped, is simply closed mindedness.

In the end - you have to ask yourself what you really want. 99% of my miles are from street driving, so I wanted a cruiser. For crusing, you can't beat a convertible on nice days (and that's hard to argue). I can understand wanting a hardtop for a pure drag racing standpoint, but that's only about 1% of the forum guys on here. Most of us drive our cars on the street, in situations where you are only under WOT maybe 1-2% of the time. I have a car that's still fun that 1%, but is simply a joy the other 99% when the throttle isn't to the floor. I love my car the way it is - and as a bonus, loading stuff with the top down is easy and resorceful.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
To each his own, but I love mine and there are no less stories about leaking convertibles than there are T-tops.

I think most ppl who hate convertibles never had one.

From an added weight standpoint, you can't tell the difference while driving it. That's like having a teenager in your car - it's not like having a passenger suddenly completely changes the driving characteristics of the car.

The noise isn't an issue with me anyway - hell, I have a cammed car with longtubes - it's loud already so whats a little wind noise.

As for the Bandit - it might have 'looked' like a muscle car, but a Toyota Camry right now would beat a stock one. Those things were actually SLOW. The producers of the movie even admitted to having to use nitrous oxide for some scenes b/c the car as it was, was too slow. I enjoyed the movie as well, but to simply think convertibles look bad b/c the bandit trans am was a t-top car, and all muscle cars should be t-toped, is simply closed mindedness.

In the end - you have to ask yourself what you really want. 99% of my miles are from street driving, so I wanted a cruiser. For crusing, you can't beat a convertible on nice days (and that's hard to argue). I can understand wanting a hardtop for a pure drag racing standpoint, but that's only about 1% of the forum guys on here. Most of us drive our cars on the street, in situations where you are only under WOT maybe 1-2% of the time. I have a car that's still fun that 1%, but is simply a joy the other 99% when the throttle isn't to the floor. I love my car the way it is - and as a bonus, loading stuff with the top down is easy and resorceful.
I have owned a convertible before. And it was awful. Of course putting the top down ocassionally was nice and easy. But the car squeaked and rattled like crazy. The T-tops aren't perfect, but mine don't leak, and they don't rattle either. T-tops over convertibles any day.

Now a modern convertible might be a little bit different, maybe better. But I have never owned nor driven a 5th Gen. Camaro.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:28 AM

I don't hate mine, but I bought it as a donor, so I will be parting it out if anyone needs anything. Its a 99 Z28 from FL with 130K miles on it.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

01 ss vert

My car doesnt rattle and squeak...but I maintain mine and just like any other car if you let it go to **** then yea it will make noise.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're not for me persoally, but I do love that convertible mod where you can see the top flapping up and down near the windshield. See it done pretty damn often too. I think it's more often than not that I see it at this point.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

What it really come down to is value... When our 4th gens are classics, the 6 spd drop tops will definitely hold a higher value. And thats from a guy that has 2 t-top ws6s. There will always be times when the t-top guy wishes he had a drop top. On the other hand the drop top guy will often wish he had t-tops... the grass is always greener on the other side.. or is it? lol
Old 01-24-2012, 02:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Value of a car is only what someone is willing to pay for it. When our cars are classics, if the general consensus is anything like what this thread shows, they won't be worth near what a t top or hard top car is worth.

It's the same with first gen camaros. At every car show there is at least 5 hard tops for every rag top. Cause they are more rare? Possibly. Because not as many people want drop tops? Possibly...ill put my money on a combination of both.

Remember, there is a reason convertibles are more rare than hard tops or t tops, because any auto maker is going to build what sells. Obviously, t tops and hard tops sold more on 1st 3rd and 4th gen's or there would be more of them.

Same as bright purple metallic on the 97 98 cars, it Wasen't appealing to the buyer so they dropped the color.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:02 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Mustangs4Dinner
What it really come down to is value... When our 4th gens are classics, the 6 spd drop tops will definitely hold a higher value.
I couldn't imagine optioning a car with things I dislike just because it might maybe make it worth more at some potential point in the distant future that I might or might not live to see.

But then again, potential future value has never been a priority for me with any car that I've ever bought. For the people that collect cars for investment rather than pleasure, this would obviously be a concern.

Quick Reply: Why does everyone hate convertibles?