General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

3 LS1 F-Bodies, One must go. Opinions Please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3 LS1 F-Bodies, One must go. Opinions Please.

Let me start by saying that almost every car I have owned becomes sentimental to me. I have never bought a car with the intention of selling it or trading it, I do have a tendency to buy cars that need work and sometimes they may sit for months or years.

Here is what I am working with. My wife and I own 2 T/A'a and a Z28 between us. She actually only considers one T/A hers and the other two cars are mine. The only way I could get rid of hers though would be to give her my WS6 as she would not want the Camaro.

Here is a list of the cars and the mods.

98 Z/28 Stock LS1. TH350, 4400 convter, Moser 9" with Alum. Center, Spool and 4.11 gears. Full BMR Extreme rear suspension. Parts planning to be installed 244/248 custom cam, 1 7/8 stepped headers. I was planning on stripping this car down for weight and use it at the track or saturday cruising.
Car has alot of miles, not really worth much.

00 TA WS6 No motor installed Stage 2 T56, Moser 12 Bolt with 3.08 Gears, Spool. Full Wolfe / Madman rear suspension, BMR turbo K/member. Dual in-tank walbros with -10 custom fuel line. Car is Low mileage and is in beautiful shape, was a 850 RWHP turbo car. Bought as a roller.

00 TA. Wife's Car Comp 232/234. Pacesetter headers, TSP Y-pipe, Circle D 3600, Built 4L60, 7.5 with 3.73s. 125 HP nitrous kit. Car runs low low elevens, and I believe it could go 10.80s. She wants a turbo car now though.
This car is in decent shape, looks like it came from up North, has rust underneath. The mileage is 135,000.

I have Two motors that could go into any of these cars.

LS1: 99 block, Stock Crank, Eagle H-Beam rods, Mahle dished turbo pistons. ARP main and head studs.

LS2 : As of now, Stock Crank, H-Beam Rods, Wiseco Turbo Pistons. ARP Head and Main Studs.
I have the parts though to build a high compression 402 out of this motor though. Eagle 4" crank and Diamond Pistons with LS3 valve reliefs.

I have 3 sets of heads that could go on to these motors.

1 set of stock 243s

1 set of Ported 300 cfm 243s

1 set of ported L92/LS3s

I was going to do a C6 manifold or Ebay hotside turbo kit for my wifes car, so that is an option.

If I build the 402, I have a set of big 2" stepped Kooks, A 254/256 cam

If I stick with the cathedral port heads, I have a Victor Junior with an elbow and a NW 90mm TB. This Intake has a Direct Port nitrous Kit and a standalone fuel system.

I also have an LS2 intake with a direct port on it, which I could plumb into the LS3 intake If I was so inclined.

If you could take all of these cars and all of these parts and add a turbo kit, which two would you build for yourself, and which one would go.

That is 3 cars, 3 Transmissions and 4 motors to choose from, can be built big nitrous, or turbo. Two Bad A$$ suspension setups, and two built rearends. I do not want track only cars, but two mid 10 sec. street cars is what I am looking for.

Give me your ideas and opinions.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Take the rear, headers, suspension and possibly tranny out of the Z to put in the wife's car. Get the z as close to stock and sell it. Put the ls2 in the t56 car, and build the motors in the t/a's to whatever you and your wife want. It all depends on your preferences (6-speed or auto, t/a or camaro...)
Old 01-23-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

sell the camaro.....
Old 01-23-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell the wifes. Build her the trans am turbo since its already, ready. Sell the ls2 go 408
Old 01-23-2012, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Make the z/28 as close to stock as you can with what you have and sell it.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

My original plan was to sell the Z28 to my brother in-law, without the suspension and with the 10 bolt from the wifes car in it. I was going to sell it to him cheap too, but he wants me to finance it and he has been very slow to pay me before. So I am kind of weary.

I just recently sold my other Camaro an 89 IROC Z, that was my 12 sec. beater, I get too attached to these pieces of junk and it is hard for me to part with them. I always have big plans for them all, and hate to let them go without my plans being complete.

Thanks for the opinions and ideas, anybody else?
Old 01-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Launching!

i agree sell the z28 but DO not, i say again... do not let anyone make payments. been there done that. just put it back stock/ish and sell it. husband and wife t/a's now that would be fun when you do hit the track!

i'm the same way man, i love cars way to damn much. with the money you get from the z28 you can finish the t/a and enjoy it, not to mention give the wife the 12 bolt.. it's a WIN WIN bro!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id sell the z28. but im kinda partial to t/as turbo build sounds pretty legit.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Part them all out or sell them as a whole and buy a c6...
Old 01-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Sell the z28 with the 10 bolt but not to your brother in law if he doesn't have the money up front!Nothing more annoying than someone in the family taking forever to pay up and you try to be nice and they take advantage since your related and not some car dealership hunting him down for payments!Too much drama,been there before!Also I'm jealous ,I wish I had a wife who wants to have a Turbo TA!lol
Old 01-24-2012, 02:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd take everything out of the high mileage Ws6 and put it is the wife's low mileage car and sell the high mileage one as a roller. Then You have 1 trans am and one camaro.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kingd_202
Part them all out or sell them as a whole and buy a c6...
I like the sound of that! I have two people to please though, also she likes to pick up the kids sometimes in her T/A and a Vette can't fit two kids.
Although, I do specifically remember being four years old and riding in the hatch of my dad's vette with my mom holding my baby sister in the passenger seat. Probably wouldn't fly nowadays though.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BayArea ws6
Sell the z28 with the 10 bolt but not to your brother in law if he doesn't have the money up front!Nothing more annoying than someone in the family taking forever to pay up and you try to be nice and they take advantage since your related and not some car dealership hunting him down for payments!Too much drama,been there before!Also I'm jealous ,I wish I had a wife who wants to have a Turbo TA!lol
I agree with this ^ guy.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Construct a nice hi hp car out of a low mile car. Sell it as a turnkey car. Sounds like u have more than in enuff to do so.
Rollers are not worth much,high mile rollers are worth even less.
Stock hi mie car wont bring much over kbb.
However there will always be that one guy looking for a running correct h.o. Car.
I built a swap car out of a roller and parts. Basically roller was not worth selling. I took a block and parts i had and hand built me a 10sec. Out the gate n/a car.
Long story,short. Went to track. Guy sees my car puttin lengths on mo hp cars.
Guy offers to buy car. I make up a high price. SOLD. He realizes what a bargain it is for a correct running car. Still owns car, now it runs 9s
I made many times what i invested. thats my exp. In a very similar situation.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

sell the z28
Old 01-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z-camaro
take the rear, headers, suspension and possibly tranny out of the z to put in the wife's car. Get the z as close to stock and sell it. Put the ls2 in the t56 car, and build the motors in the t/a's to whatever you and your wife want. It all depends on your preferences (6-speed or auto, t/a or camaro...)
do exactly this ^

Option 1, screw your brother-in-law. If he is crappy with payments, let him get repo'ed by the bank. it's what happens IN REAL LIFE. He should learn to be a real man and work and pay his bills. Sell the car outright to whoever will give you the most for it. Option 2, if you don't want to be all harsh, tell your in-law if he wants the car to get a loan from the bank that way he's not financially responsible to you. Plus it'll build his credit. win win.

Last edited by wornoutshoes; 01-27-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Thank You all for the ideas and opinions.

I think I will build the wife a mild turbo car using the low compression ls1, her current 4l60 and put it in the low mile WS6. The only problem is that car has all of the Wolfe suspension with solid end links and a heavy duty anti-roll. It also has a spool in the rearend. Kind of rough for street use. I will have to put a differential and at least the polyurethane ended LCAs off of the other car to soften it up a bit.

For the other TA. I will build the 402 with the big cam, Vic Jr., and the fogger setup. I'll put the six speed and the 9" with all of the suspension from the Z28. That can be my toy.

For the Z28 I will put the 10 bolt with 3.73s and the stock suspension from the TA. This is where I will run into a problem though. I have the TH350 with a loose loose stall in it. It has no other mods. I do have a brand new set of stepped headers and one of the biggest cams that will work in a stock engine for it. I am wondering if I would be better off selling these parts, including the tranny and just throwing a Craigslist 4l60e and selling it stock or just building a quick car from what I have left (like NemeSS) and selling it like that.
It would probably be one of the cheapest 10 sec. cars ever. And of course I would have to drive it around and take it to the the track for advertisement purposes

Ok T/As are sorted. Still have to decide on the Z though. What do you guys think. Sell the parts and make it stock and sell it, or mod it up and sell it?
Old 01-27-2012, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 703crewchief
Thank You all for the ideas and opinions... For the Z28 I will put the 10 bolt with 3.73s and the stock suspension from the TA. This is where I will run into a problem though. I have the TH350 with a loose loose stall in it. It has no other mods. I do have a brand new set of stepped headers and one of the biggest cams that will work in a stock engine for it. I am wondering if I would be better off selling these parts, including the tranny and just throwing a Craigslist 4l60e and selling it stock or just building a quick car from what I have left (like NemeSS) and selling it like that.
From my experience, and opinion, most people want to buy close to stock cars. This is why I have and will continue to keep all of my stock parts. However if you can find that person that wants a fast car, and is willing to shell out the cash for it that, would be great too.
From looking at used cars it seems like cars with mods are not worth more, sometimes even less, then stock cars. Of course their are cases where this is not true. As a buyer it seems like more of a risk if you don't know/ trust who ever did the mods to the car (unless you have a reputable shop do all your work and have receipts).

Sorry for the long post, but if it was me I would sell it as stock and sell the parts, especially if the parts are still new.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

sell the Z28. Owned Camaro and TA Z28's bore me
Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Launching!

As long as your keeping the 2 T/A's you can't go wrong in this situation lol