General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Advice on Buying an LS1 F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Buying an LS1 F-Body

I got a 94 Z28 with 122k on it. Being an LT1 I don't see the point of trying to make it any faster, because it won't be a good DD anymore.

That's why I started lookin for an LS1 6spd car because I know even after some modding they're still good DDs. They don't shake too much, the gas mileage is ok, they're more reliable, etc.

I decided I want an LS1 Firebird, either a Formula or a TransAm, doesn't matter. But my budget is tight, I only have $5000.

There's not many for sale in my area. Most of them are automatic, and the 6speed ones are asking for way too much.

There are several WS6 6speed ones with 120-150K miles. These would be my ideal candidates but they cost around $7000.

But then there's a 2000 TransAm automatic with 233,000 miles on it. The mileage isn't lookin too good but the condition is alright. The guy's selling it for $3500.

What do you guys suggest?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sit on it for awhile one will turn up. A z28 may be easier to find in the price range though.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Take a look at the Z28's like Above stated. you'll find the right one for the money no problem. 233k is way too much in my opinion, and you are giving up the 6-speed you want in addition to the high mileage. Hold out, check the classifieds here, and keep looking around on cars.com and such
Old 02-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I dont dig the LS1 Camaro front ends too much like a lotta other people..I wouldnt be happy unless I did a front end swap to 93-97 lol.

The reason I was lookin at the last one was because I was thinking that at some point I'll be changing everything anyway so might as well buy something real cheap and modify it.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Yea man don't rush,just be patient and a good deal will turn up.When I graduated high school 2 years ago I had 5500 saved up for a car,I was looking to buy a 98-02 ls1 camaro.I was kind of in a rush because I was excited to get my first car, and although I did find me a nice z28 for 5000 I wish I would have waited a bit longer because some pretty awesome deals popped up after I bought mines.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

you thought about putting 5k down on a 7k car and then getting financed for the rest..

2k wouldnt be too bad of a car payment, could probably get a 200 dollar car payment and get the car you really want..

I bought a z28 back in 05 and wanted a SS really bad but was impatient... I ended up selling it and got into the one I wanted..

Get what you want or itll drive you nuts that your not in the car you want..
Old 02-13-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If loans are an option. Put $3k finance the rest.
You can find 50k-75k mile SWEET fbodies for 10k.

Get a car you will enjoy owning and not just fixing up what previous owners screwed up.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

I would finance or wait.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
If loans are an option. Put $3k finance the rest.
You can find 50k-75k mile SWEET fbodies for 10k.

Get a car you will enjoy owning and not just fixing up what previous owners screwed up.
Excellent advice! If unable to be patient and save up more $$ then definitely look at the many decent 'stock' LS1 cars available with much lower mileage. These cars are less likely to have been abused and then you decide what you want to do with it in the future. Remember that owners always ask higher than what they will actually take. It is just part of the 'selling' game. If you want to budget $10,000 for a sweet LS1 ride, then look at ads where owners ask right up to $12,000. They may just accept your $10,000 offer. I'm in the process of selling my Z3 right now and I was asking $14,600. I am selling it for $13,000. You get the picture.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for patience! dont rush into whatever pops up first. This is coming from someone who learned that the hard way. Like Burken01 said, if you dont get what you really want, it will drive you nuts until you can get what you REALLy wanted.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I would never suggest getting any kind of a loan for a high mileage used car. There is nothing worse than making payments AND constantly fixing the things that break on any high mileage car. If you're going to go the loan route, get something nice and low mileage.

I understand the thought process of buying something cheap and high mileage if you're looking for a car to build and modify heavily. This is fine if your goal is a race car or some sort of toy that you don't need to rely on for daily transportation. For a daily driver though, I wouldn't want to start off with something that needs a ton of work and is a constant project.

It's also important that you get the model you want. Personally, Z28/SS or possibily Formulas are the only ones I would consider shopping for. In your case, if what you like is the Formula or Trans Am, then you should stick to only those. Never buy a car that isn't what you want just because the price is great - unless it's just a POS winter beater for $800.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2k wouldnt be too bad of a car payment, could probably get a 200 dollar car payment and get the car you really want..
imoif your going to get into a payment make it worth it, 2 grand is not worth getting a loan for imo,just save a lil more, tas are mor money than a camaro butdeals are out there , just plan on taking a trip to find the best deal
Old 02-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Nah I don't like loans...i don't wanna owe anyone anything and have to worry about it. Especially for a car because of its value depreciation...

Really appreciate the advice fellas. One more question, should I just throw the 5K at my current car and make it what I want it to be? I mean if this thing had a 6 speed and an LS1, I'd totally keep it. Ah and I need a rear end too...dammit its always something lol.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

for the 5k your car could be lsx/6spd

when i bougth my car color,type and all that just didnt matter. i just look at them all as F body,
when i saw my car on the carsale i liked how much of a sleeper it was. gray cloth,16". rear hitch and basicly looked like a 6cyl car but was a ls1/6spd
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AmirGTR
Nah I don't like loans...i don't wanna owe anyone anything and have to worry about it. Especially for a car because of its value depreciation...

Really appreciate the advice fellas. One more question, should I just throw the 5K at my current car and make it what I want it to be? I mean if this thing had a 6 speed and an LS1, I'd totally keep it. Ah and I need a rear end too...dammit its always something lol.

I would jsut put the 5k into your car now. As previously stated you culd do an ls1/ts5 swap. Or if you want to stick with the lt1, which I would in your position, 5k can get you a street friendly heads/cam setup, upporting bolt ons, and you can look for a 12 bolt in the classifieds with your remaining cash.

However, I would still highly reccomend you either just get a loan for some money, or wait until you can afford a nice ls1 car. I just bought my '99 Trans Am with 66k miles for less than 10 grand. The deals are out there, I wasn't even looking too long before I found mine.

I'll take a car payment for a well maintained, low mileage ride over a paid off fix-er-upper any day of the week.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

I paid $6,250 for my '98 Z28 with 70k on the clock. That was 4 years ago. I found it after spending a month or so browsing the classifieds section right here on tech. I was living outside of Memphis at the time and took a 55 minute flight to Atlanta to pick her up.

I will say this. Be patient, willing to travel and browse the hell out of this website. There are too many amazing deals on here to waste your time with something questionable. Another perk to buying through LS1tech is being able to check out the car's history through the member's posts.

If you open up your search at least 150-200 miles, you'll find a lot more prospects in your budget. Don't be afraid to buy a first year car either. The 98s are every bit as capable as the 99+ cars and with today's plethora of tuners, getting it running spot on after the mods start to pour in isn't a problem at all. Mine ran 13.4s bone stock and laid down 12.9s with nothing but a set of headers. Untuned.

Like I said, be patient. You already have a car to drive so keep looking. Or is your next car contingent on the sale of your LT1? If so, buy a beater like the fellow up top mentioned and drive it while you sell the LT1 and save up for the LS.

Shop wisely and you will EASILY find a nice example for under $6,000 with 70-90k on the clock.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Burken01

Get what you want or itll drive you nuts that your not in the car you want..
THIS^

When I hit the first winter after buying my TA I had to find a DD for the snow. I bought and sold multiple cars before I settled on one I actually liked driving.

If what you want is an LS1 then save your money till you find the one you really want. If you like your LT1 too much, save your money. $5000 can get you a pretty good build while maintaining driveability and it can also buy you a lot of gas
Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redlineracing
I would jsut put the 5k into your car now. As previously stated you culd do an ls1/ts5 swap. Or if you want to stick with the lt1, which I would in your position, 5k can get you a street friendly heads/cam setup, upporting bolt ons, and you can look for a 12 bolt in the classifieds with your remaining cash.
From the title, I would say the OP wants an LS1/T56 car so I wouldnt recommend any of the above. I know many do LS swaps but that can be a project. When I was looking I decided I didnt want a project, wanted a car that was in very good shape & thats what I got. I preferred a few mods but mine was stock. Be patient, & get what you want or you will regret it. You might spend a lil more than you anticipated but in the long term it will be worth it.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, your budget is pretty low. If it's going to be a DD car then don't get the cheapest, highest mileage car you can find. For the extra money you'll spend fixing it, you can get a lower mileage car.

Like others said, be very, very patient. I rushed on my T/A 2 months ago. I looovee this car, but, for 6500 I could've done better.

If you're not looking for payments, then just keep saving and wait until the right car pops up. It'll feel 100x's better than rushing on a car and then a few months later wishing you waited.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As stated above, being patient enough to get the car you REALLY want is the answer. Settling for some lesser version of that will just prove to be more expensive in the long run.

Quick Reply: Advice on Buying an LS1 F-Body