General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

OEM Exhaust Hanger Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM Exhaust Hanger Problem

I have a problem with the drivers side exhaust hanger... it's driving me nuts! I can't do any spirited driving without the catback coming loose from the rear driver's side hanger... I launched it today and it came out The insulator and bracket are fine... it's just the piece of metal welded to the pipe keeps slipping out of the insulator. Extremely inconvenient. I'm drawing a blank on a fix that is quick yet not too "ghetto", tools are limited. I was thinking about a whole new hanger... possibly this one (if it fits/works with a stock catback???)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-36314

If anyone else has had this problem, if there's anything I can do that's simpler than a whole new hanger to fix this, please let me know!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

It's kinda hard to tell what your talking about without seeing something. It sounds like you could just fasten something on the bolt so it wouldnt come out, a tack weld would stop it and you could easily grind that down later.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
It's kinda hard to tell what your talking about without seeing something. It sounds like you could just fasten something on the bolt so it wouldnt come out, a tack weld would stop it and you could easily grind that down later.
I'll take a picture a.s.a.p. but I'll try to explain it again... I'm sure you're aware that there is a small metal rod welded to the tail pipe on the drivers side that also fits in the rubber insulator. That part keeps slipping out of the insulator. I wish I had a welder... as I stated I'm limited on tools at the moment :/
Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Guess this picture will do for now...

Bottom part of the hanger (the rusted metal part in this picture) keeps slipping out of the insulator... see what I mean?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Oh ok yeah thats what i had pictured, and my bad i didnt see you saying no tools.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Dang, i cant think of anything either now actually..lol
Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that rusty hanger should have a bulge on the end to keep it from slipping out or be bent down on the end to keep it from slipping out cant really tell if it has either from the pic
Old 02-16-2012, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

Oh ok yeah thats what i had pictured, and my bad i didnt see you saying no tools.
Dang, i cant think of anything either now actually..lol
Haha it's okay man! And yea :/ that welding idea was my first thought... but then I realized, I can't !

Originally Posted by nomasterase
that rusty hanger should have a bulge on the end to keep it from slipping out or be bent down on the end to keep it from slipping out cant really tell if it has either from the pic
It doesn't... very stupid design. I wish it would've at least been bent upwards or designed in a way that it wouldn't slip out so easily. Maybe a better designed insulator will work?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:51 AM
12 Second Club

I would take it by a muffler shop and ask them to heat that hanger and bend it down for you. shouldnt cost much hell they may not even charge you
Old 02-16-2012, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nomasterase
I would take it by a muffler shop and ask them to heat that hanger and bend it down for you. shouldnt cost much hell they may not even charge you
Yea that sounds like a good idea... I was just hoping someone had a quick fix idea. Thanks though! Might consider this if I don't find a DIY alternative.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I presume it's an aftermarket exhaust since the hanger doesn't have the little ***** head thing to keep it from sliding out. Any exhaust shop worth a **** would weld a bead on it or heat and bend it for free...would take 3 min and would be a good business move on their part.

For an at home fix, my best idea would be, if there is enough of the hanger sticking through the rubber isolator, buy a small u-bolt clamp that the end of the hanger just barely fits through and tighten down both nuts to keep the hanger from pulling back through...same as welding on a bead, but easily removed.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02WS6SSZ71
I presume it's an aftermarket exhaust since the hanger doesn't have the little ***** head thing to keep it from sliding out. Any exhaust shop worth a **** would weld a bead on it or heat and bend it for free...would take 3 min and would be a good business move on their part.

For an at home fix, my best idea would be, if there is enough of the hanger sticking through the rubber isolator, buy a small u-bolt clamp that the end of the hanger just barely fits through and tighten down both nuts to keep the hanger from pulling back through...same as welding on a bead, but easily removed.
I'm not sure... do you know if all stock ones had something on the end to stop it from falling out?.. But yea the exhaust shop idea is really sounding like what I'm gonna do. Hmm.. that's a pretty good idea as well, I don't think I have a u bolt clamp that small, but nothing a hardware shop won't have. thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 03:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, the stock (and most aftermarket) hangers are mushroomed on the tip so they don't pull out. Even if you just had a decent propane torch and a hammer you could mushroom it yourself (keep in mind there is a gas tank back there). I would say u-bolt for the quick and easy at home fix...couldn't take more than $3 and a 5/16 wrench
Old 02-16-2012, 06:38 AM
TECH Regular

take a fender washer (oversized) and cut it thru on one side , take 2 pair of pliers and open the slit so it fits over the rod hanger and then twist it back into its original shape and your fixed.. oldman...
Old 02-16-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02WS6SSZ71
Yeah, the stock (and most aftermarket) hangers are mushroomed on the tip so they don't pull out. Even if you just had a decent propane torch and a hammer you could mushroom it yourself (keep in mind there is a gas tank back there). I would say u-bolt for the quick and easy at home fix...couldn't take more than $3 and a 5/16 wrench
U bolt idea is good. I'll try that first.

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
take a fender washer (oversized) and cut it thru on one side , take 2 pair of pliers and open the slit so it fits over the rod hanger and then twist it back into its original shape and your fixed.. oldman...
Hah.. maybe if all else fails. Definitely not an oldman.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

I'm glad this was brought up. I have an aftermarket catback on my car as well and it does the same thing. I thought maybe I didn't have everything lined up correctly and that's why it keeps popping out. I will have to give the ubolt thing a shot.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Launching!

My old SLP 2OTL did this also when it was new. It just seemed poorly designed. Took some heating and bending to fix it.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sully
I'm glad this was brought up. I have an aftermarket catback on my car as well and it does the same thing. I thought maybe I didn't have everything lined up correctly and that's why it keeps popping out. I will have to give the ubolt thing a shot.
Yea once I get time I will head over to a hardware shop and pickup a u bolt clamp.

Originally Posted by cranny
My old SLP 2OTL did this also when it was new. It just seemed poorly designed. Took some heating and bending to fix it.
Very poorly designed

Quick Reply: OEM Exhaust Hanger Problem