General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Low Oil Light On but Dipstick Level and Oil Pressure Fine???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil Light On but Dipstick Level and Oil Pressure Fine???

I did a search but didn't find anything specific.

My gauges shows "Low Oil" light on but my Dipstick oil level is fine and my oil pressure gauge shows just over 40 and moves accordingly with rpm (50 at 3500) so i guess it's just the oil sensor.

Anybody think theres anything to worry about such as maybe i have oil but its not flowing somewhere? i don't know anything about how that light comes on or where its measured. having oil at the bottom and pressure meaning pump is fine my only potential worry that i could imagine is if oil is not getting somewhere.

Let me know if anyone has come across this or has any insight on the situation.

Thanks!!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Maybe if the oil pick up tube seal is leaking, I would get the new sensor ASAP and don't drive the car till the lights out.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I'd be afraid to drive the car until that light is diagnosed. Hopefully just a computer glitch or sensor of some type.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Have you changed the starter recently, or worked in that location? I mistakenly damaged one of the wires for my oil pressure sending unit, and the low pressure light came on immediately. It remained on until the wire was repaired. I would check that first before replacing the sensor. I don't know if a faulty sensor would cause a low pressure light.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sir Harmony
Have you changed the starter recently, or worked in that location? I mistakenly damaged one of the wires for my oil pressure sending unit, and the low pressure light came on immediately. It remained on until the wire was repaired. I would check that first before replacing the sensor. I don't know if a faulty sensor would cause a low pressure light.
Same thing happened to me. I was working in that area and after reinstalling the starter, the oil level sensor wire melted on the header and caused the "low oil" light to come on. Cut and spliced it back together out of the way of the header and all was well again.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:19 AM
TECH Regular

during my trans swap i found i could not remove sensor for header interference so i bought a drain plug and deleted it. people bitch about it.who cares, you have a dip stick,and oil presure gauge. i'm old school didn't have a lazy light in my other cars if you are one with vehicle (just my opinion obviously) you check your oil level every time you go out. you have preasure, no anti -freeze/oil mix dont sweat it. but check it out regardless . pinched wires and such . good luck.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

it's probably just low low oil sensor is just bad or it got disconnected. your oil level and oil pressure sensor is 2 seperate sensors. just get under the car and look to see it if plugged in. it's the one on the driver side(i think) side of the oil pan. it's easy to find. if the wires look good, i'd replace the sensor. but if you know your oil level is fine, there's no reason to be afraid to drive the car.

Quick Reply: Low Oil Light On but Dipstick Level and Oil Pressure Fine???