General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Metal shavings in drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Metal shavings in drain plug

I have been experiencing a faint smoke coming from the engine bay recently and I posted about it in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...nder-hood.html

Not much came out of it until I decided to change my oil and noticed these metal shavings in my drain plug. Ive never seen metal shavings before but these sure look like some... Silver streak and chunks attached to the magnet. Ugh... the engine was built a year ago. Ideas as to what it is? I don't have the funds/time to tear it apart again

Edit: This is only the 4th oil change since the built engine (about 1200 miles) and I was told that it isn't uncommon for new engines to shave some metal... but it just gives me chills... The very first oil change a very small spring came out... maybe an inch long and a few millimeters in diameter. The guy who built my bottom end thinks it came from the main seal, but as long as there isn't any oil leakage, it should be okay.
Attached Thumbnails Metal shavings in drain plug-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Lockdown99ss; 02-27-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car has 53k original miles on it. I change the oil in it every 2500 miles with 5k mileage Mobil 1 5w-30 and use the Mobil 1 filter as well. and I have the same problem. I think it's common though.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Looks fine too me. You will get a little bit especially if the motor is fairly new.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Default metal

Those are shavings from piston action, it is completely normal, and the smoke is not likely related. Shavings should taper off as miles accrue. If it doesn't you will probably notice a clicking called "piston slap" if that starts to get really loud you have a serious problem.

Quick Reply: Metal shavings in drain plug