General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

2007 LS2 Vette A6 or 2001 LS1 Camaro M6

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2007 LS2 Vette A6 or 2001 LS1 Camaro M6

Well i have the opportunity to trade in my camaro to get a 2007 Vette Auto 1LT. Nothing special just black on black with chrome wheels factory, clean carfax as well. My camaro is in my sig. Is it a good trade, not sure if im gonna like the auto in the vette. Ive driven it a few times but never really thought about it were if i were to buy one how will i like the A6 as a daily driver, is it fun to drive still, is it just as powerfull as the M6.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Launching!

I had a similar opportunity with my 99 ta and a 08 vette in a 6 speed. Black on black with 12k miles from my friend who wanted just what he owed, 30k.

The vette was very, and i mean VERY noisy in terms of rattles and squeaks. Given i live in nyc where the roads aren't the best, but it was unbearable. I remember at one point comparing it to my 85 TA in terms of noise in the cabin. I also found the ride to be harsher than my ta with bilsteins and full bmr suspension (no k member). I found the seats to be uncomfortable, and the interior surfaces seemed to wear very quickly compared to the TA.

He also had a ton of problems with his. The power steering rack had developed a decent leak and required replacement under warranty. The rear diff also had to be replaced under warranty for a leak that could not be remedied. Not that having things replaced under warranty is bad, but eventually it runs out. He got worse gas mileage than i did, and i couldn't rationalize spending 30k for something that to me seemed just as nice as my TA. So instead i saved 15k and bought a firehawk.

Corvettes are a dime a dozen...F-bodys while not so high in value on paper seemed to be the better bargain, more fun, and my hawk gets more attention at local car meets than his new Grand Sport does. Just my .02
Old 03-26-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya i do agree, i love my Z28. No rattles and drive excellent even with the suspension i have. It soaks up dips and bumps really really well. Im getting the vette for 22.5+tax and fees. The miles are high its about 78k in miles so helps on the pricing. Went and saw it in person and is SUPER CLEAN i have to admit whoever had it was very carefull and did a great job taking care of it. For the most part alot of vettes ive seen look that way. I have to say to myself am i tired of driving manual since 1997, also i need something newer or should i just dump money in my ride. Corvette LS2 is just as fast as me bone stock and im full bolt ons and at higher speeds it will pull as well due to aero and gearing. I have to just look at the pro's and con's but its a hard decision since my 01 Camaro has hardly given me any issues at all, diff bearings and high pressure hose for the power steering and thats it, lol.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

I'm sorry...but I have to laugh at guys in an F Body, of which they made what, 197 billion? calling a Vette a "dime a dozen" car. I also LOL at the jabs at build quality and NVH vs a 4th gen. Do you expect to be taken seriously? Be at least somewhat objective. The Corvette is indeed far from perfect, but the 4th generation F-Body was a laughing stock in both of those departments when it was new.

Simple equation here. Do you want payments and a newer, automatic, car with a higher insurance rate and 2 less seats, or are you happy with modding an older 6-speed car?

My GTO had better NVH than the Vette, and it certainly was rarer, and it had 2x the rwhp...but I got the Vette anyway. It's all about personal choice. So far the Vette has not let me down at the track, on the street, or in the parking lot of a car show.

Last edited by geeteego; 03-26-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by geeteego
I'm sorry...but I have to laugh at guys in an F Body, of which they made what, 197 billion? calling a Vette a "dime a dozen" car. I also LOL at the jabs at build quality and NVH vs a 4th gen. Do you expect to be taken seriously? Be at least somewhat objective. The Corvette is indeed far from perfect, but the 4th generation F-Body was a laughing stock in both of those departments when it was new.

Simple equation here. Do you want payments and a newer, automatic, car with a higher insurance rate and 2 less seats, or are you happy with modding an older 6-speed car?

My GTO had better NVH than the Vette, and it certainly was rarer, and it had 2x the rwhp...but I got the Vette anyway. It's all about personal choice. So far the Vette has not let me down at the track, on the street, or in the parking lot of a car show.
Seriously, I LOL'd hard at that too!

Like said above it really depends if you want to have a car payment and higher insurance. If it were me, I would take the C6 all day over my F-Body.

It is a let down a bit that it is an A6 but with a trans tune it should shift just as well. Corvette's are far superior in almost every aspect IMO. Braking, handling, looks, overall feel. It's just a completely different car.

I've driven the C6 of one of my good friends quite a few times. Every time after I don't want to get back in my car, I want his lol. It's a great car to drive, and the overall performance for your money is pretty good as well.

Also the fact that it is a much newer and updated car is something to consider. It's not 10 years old like most of our cars are lol.

Anyways just some food for though, hope you decide what makes you happiest!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get the vette a6's are just as fast as an m6 and mph's similar also and rule with stalls, imo get the vette and dont look back!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I would prolly stay with your camaro , mods are cheaper overall everything will be alot cheaper .. IMO your camaro is better simply because cost ! The vette looks nicer and is newer but F body's IMO are cheaper to fix up and make way funner for way less !!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There might be alot more fbodys out there, but every time I go to a car show I always see a **** ton of vettes. Its really nice to see a sick fbody out there, there alot cheaper and you dont see nice ones that often, atleast around here. Vettes do have the performance but at a cost...
Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Kind of tough, each are very cool in their own ways, don't know if I could bring myself to give up one for the other. I have both at my household, my Dad has an '07 6-speed Corvette, I have the Camaro in my sig that I daily drive, we are both very fond of each. My car feels more like a raw, old-school muscle car, versus the precise, more refined sports car feel of the C6. However, for a daily if I had to choose I would have to go with the C6 if I had the choice, they are much, much nicer than our cars for that kind of thing. But, it's all about what your priorities are and what you think would work best for your situation.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A6 LS-2 Vette is a great car my friend just went 10.98 w/ just full bolt-on's in his !!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fbody:

If you want to start with a blank canvas to build a show car/ auto x car / fast street car / drag car
at a budget.

Corvette:

If you want to do simple bolt ons and nice wheels, unless you have some DEEP pockets.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 03-26-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i went to drive it again today and i just couldnt bring myself to drive a A6. Its a great tranny but i couldnt help but think that i will hate it after a couple of days of driving it. So i passed on it, if it was a manual i would've for sure jumped all over it, im just gonna upgrade my camaro with a cam and injectors, just drive it till i find something better down the road. Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by geeteego

Winner.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good choice. Just get to the point where u can simply add a c6 into the herd without gettin rid of the z. Then keep it for weekends.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My first choice believe it or not was a 03-04 Z06 but the financing it would put me at 36 month term at a high interest so i had to pass on it. Too bad its a excellent car but i understand the banks point of view either way. In the end the Vette is without a doubt better but in this specific case just couldnt get passsed the A6. Im gonna wait a bit longer and see if i can find something that i really want.

Quick Reply: 2007 LS2 Vette A6 or 2001 LS1 Camaro M6