General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

SS spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS spoiler?

Having read some ridiculous posts of people whining that Z owners are making their cars look like ss cars, I had to pose this question... what is so great about the ss spoiler? The hood? Sure it looks ok, but the sunoco and (even better) ultra z look amazing. Spoiler though, it doesn't match any of the car's lines. I have the factory effects package on my Z, 3 piece spoiler and all. I will be putting an ultra z hood and custom badges on mine, returning to the glory days when the Z28 was the highest optioned model. As many others have stated, any Chevy can be an SS only a Camaro can be a Z28. Fire.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hood scoop, spoiler, 275 tires and 17" wheels, makes the car stand out MUCH more and it looks very aggressive in the right color combination, I love it. Z28's are cool, but they're still no SS, in regards to both cosmetics and heritage. They look exactly like V6 Camaro's minus the badges, which doesn't do much for me personally. Nothing against the Z28's at all, just my opinion.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the spoiler matches up great actually. I have a Z28, but wanted that high rise spoiler for looks and looks alone. I did have a carbon fiber SS hood, but only cause it was a great deal, but it really wasn't what I wanted so I sold it and bought an ultra z hood.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

I agree those appearance factors make it look good, especially the wheels, but the effects package, including the spoiler, looks better than an ss car (minus the hood). Put an ultra z or sunoco on a Z with factory found effects, it just doesn't get better than that.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Hood scoop, spoiler, 275 tires and 17" wheels, makes the car stand out MUCH more and it looks very aggressive in the right color combination, I love it. Z28's are cool, but they're still no SS, in regards to both cosmetics and heritage. They look exactly like V6 Camaro's minus the badges, which doesn't do much for me personally. Nothing against the Z28's at all, just my opinion.
what he^ said .. plus they are more expensive than the z28 and make it look more aggressive.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I agree with the OP; the SS hood and spoiler were just add-ons that I'm indifferent towards - not better, not worse, I could take it or leave it. The only thing that really looks better about the SS package is the wheels, which is why I've always put SS wheels on my Z28s. One thing I really dislike about the SS spoiler is the LED stop light. I prefer the standard bulb stop light of the Z28 and the '96 SS spoilers. I often like older looking stuff better.

When these cars were new/newer I always bought Z28s because the extra cost of the SS package wasn't worth it to me since it's almost exclusively cosmetic, and I don't really like them any better. But these days, it's harder to find nice low mileage Z28s that haven't been worn out, so I imagine that my next 4th gen may possibily be an SS.

It's all just a matter of opinion anyway. Some people think their SSs look much better. Some don't care either way. Ultimately the only opinion that matters is that of the person that has to own the car.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blue98Z
I think the spoiler matches up great actually. I have a Z28, but wanted that high rise spoiler for looks and looks alone. I did have a carbon fiber SS hood, but only cause it was a great deal, but it really wasn't what I wanted so I sold it and bought an ultra z hood.

Nice ride. I also have a SS spoiler, but the one have the LT1 SS spoiler. I will be getting a Ultra Z hood when I get some new tires for the car.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

I have a black z and on my way to work driving the opposite direction on the FFX county parkway I see this black ss...maybe twice a week. During that moment It makes me feel like a homo (not that there is anything wrong with that .) Sucks cause when I bought the car brand new there was a substaintial price difference for what seemed like nothing in the way of performance. Now the original SS's can be had so cheap. I've had the hood and spoiler sitting in a closet for like 2 years now waiting to get painted and installed. I need to get off my ***! The c6's and nEw mustangs look pretty wicked these days...but in 2002 the ss camaro was the most badass looking muscle car of that year....IMHO
Old 03-05-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

honestly op? hood..may be. but the spoiler? GM honestly made an amazing job designing that spoiler imho...it flows pretty amazing with the lines from all angles and looks very aggressive specially with the CME. id honestly drive a SS SLP with cme camaro over many coupe cars including a C5. it simply looks far better from a regular Z28.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with these guys, the SS spoiler flows extremely well with the lines of the camaros, nothing crazy, straight and simple, but noticeable next to a z or a base camaro!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Teching In

I've always preferred the Z28 spoiler to the SS. Not sure why! I like the SS hood though
Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
id honestly drive a SS SLP with cme camaro
CME =

I hate center mount exhaust. I have NO idea why everyone makes such a big deal over loving this, I would rip it off of any Camaro that I ever buy ASAP. The good news is, there are plenty of people who would be willing to buy it from me.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
CME =

I hate center mount exhaust. I have NO idea why everyone makes such a big deal over loving this, I would rip it off of any Camaro that I ever buy ASAP. The good news is, there are plenty of people who would be willing to buy it from me.
whyyyy?!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ I love the SS package on all camaro's 96-02 and the cme also, imo slp did a great job but I must admit the vfn sunocco hood looks best not really fund of the ultra z hood at all!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

O ya only thing I hated about SS's were the single tail pipe from 96-98 looks horible imo!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i like my SS. i like z28's as well. i love the hood, im so used to it, its funny seein another one without it. i think the SS spoiler is nicer imo. i love my black SS with zr1 chrome rims, it gets lots of looks from alot of ppl.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
CME =

ARE YOU KIDDING MEEE!! hahaha i never thought any1 would hate cme!! and ss spoiler too but wow lol ship me yours now! please
Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
You are aware that in the original models the Z/28 was more of a premium model then the SS right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the 4th gen was the first time that the SS was the highest model. And at that time Chevy put SS on just about everything.

But the main differences between the SS model is appearance and like everyone knows its all subjective. There is no right or wrong, and just because SS' cost more doesn't mean they look better. Some like it others prefer the plainer look of a Z. Point being its stupid to argue about it. It's like going back and forth between a Camaro and Trans Am. Essentially there all the same car with different pieces of plastic on them.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i like SS spoliers and hood. thats why i bought one. as far as im concerned getting it that way saves me trouble from upgrading later.

im also a fan of CMEs but i think my SLP DD has a descent look.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
honestly op? hood..may be. but the spoiler? GM honestly made an amazing job designing that spoiler imho...it flows pretty amazing with the lines from all angles and looks very aggressive specially with the CME. id honestly drive a SS SLP with cme camaro over many coupe cars including a C5. it simply looks far better from a regular Z28.
I don't know, the spoiler just doesn't do it for me. The CME is another beast entirely. If they used four Borla square tips it might look okay, but the stock bubbles just look funny on it. The best part of this site, and others like it, is that everyone's opinion matters. I've seen some interesting opinions since I recently became a member. I would never have guessed anyone couldn't like the dd C5 rims, yet lo and behold... they're out there.

Quick Reply: SS spoiler?