General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Would you dyno tune it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Would you dyno tune it?

I have a 2000 Trans Am convertible. I have done some boltons and I am wondering if a dyno tune is worth it? This is a street driven car in the summer and rarely sees track time. Here is list of the current mods:

Being a street car, I am hesitant to put in a cam due to the possible effect on gas mileage. That is also why I hesitant about a putting in a stall. I am comfortable with the power level, I just get the feeling that I may be leaving some power on the table if the tune can't keep up with the mods.
    Old 03-19-2012, 11:20 AM
    TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course you're leaving power on the table without a tune.
    Old 03-19-2012, 11:24 AM
    Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all those mods, you better get a Dyno Tune.
    Old 03-19-2012, 11:54 AM
    LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

You must've had some sort of tuning for speedo correction with those 3.54 gears, correct? This is even more important with an A4 car, to correct shift points.

You are definitely leaving some power behind by having LTs with the stock tune. You don't *have* to have a tune for headers, but it certainly will make more power, and if you don't plan to do any further modifications then you might as well get it tuned now and make the most of your setup.
    Old 03-19-2012, 12:29 PM
    TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
    You must've had some sort of tuning for speedo correction with those 3.54 gears, correct? This is even more important with an A4 car, to correct shift points.

You are definitely leaving some power behind by having LTs with the stock tune. You don't *have* to have a tune for headers, but it certainly will make more power, and if you don't plan to do any further modifications then you might as well get it tuned now and make the most of your setup.
    I did have the basic tune for the speedo correction from SpeedInc.

I think I will contact them about the dyno tune. I was going to wait until I did more mods, but the price of gas is scaring me off.
    Old 03-19-2012, 01:48 PM
    TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you decide to go further, might as well get the cam and whatever else you'd get then get it all tuned at once. But if gas is a problem, get a tune and have a nice bolt on Vert.
    Old 03-19-2012, 07:21 PM
    TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im surprised it doesnt have major dead spots with a stock stall.

but definitely get a tune.
    Old 03-19-2012, 07:24 PM
    TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMZ28
    Well if you decide to go further, might as well get the cam and whatever else you'd get then get it all tuned at once. But if gas is a problem, get a tune and have a nice bolt on Vert.
    I agree, but you really don't need a dyno tune with your current mods. However, if you don't plan to get a cam anytime soon, then it would be at your benefit to go ahead and have it done because you will definitely be picking up a good amount of power.
    Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 PM
    TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Simplɘ Jack
    With all those mods, you better get a Dyno Tune.
    He only has basic bolt ons. A tune really isnt needed until after internals.
    Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 PM
    Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
    I would estimate about 320/340rwh & 335/350tq with a good tune. Setting your car to gain max power with improved idle and fuel economy will make driving fun!!!!!!!

Best of luck and have a truly blessed week...Capt. Jim
    Old 03-22-2012, 09:18 PM
    TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Would a dyno tune benefit you -- absolutely. Is it worth it at this point? Possibly.

Is an extra 10 - 15 rwhp worth $400 - $600?

From a cost efficiency standpoint, right now I think your good with a simple handheld tune and then drop the cash on a dyno tune if you ever decide to start upgrading the internals. From a cost standpoint, it's tough to beat the cost vs. benefit of a cam swap + tune + stall.
    Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 PM
    TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would stall it and put a cutout(heard flowmaster catbacks suck in performace terms on fbody's) on it and then tune it, add a 25% ud pulley and your basically full bolt ons!!!
    Old 03-23-2012, 09:25 AM
    TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to go ahead and break this up and say a big fat no to the dyno tune. Total waste of money. The $500 can be spent in so many better ways. Wouldn't he benefit more HP changing out that flowmaster than a dynotune can provide? And you don't even track the car... so why you want to squeeze out a few extra HP? You would be blown away by what a stall can do to your auto, esp with the gears you have. You are losing more milage from those gears then you would from a 3600 stall. My point is, yes you would benefit from a dyno, but you are leaving so much better things out that would cost about the same.
    Old 03-23-2012, 09:37 AM
    TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt dyno tune but def get a mail in tune, wait till you cam or something for dyno tuning.
    Old 03-23-2012, 09:57 AM
    TECH Addict

^ what he said. a very mild came shouldnt have a big impact on mpg.
    Old 03-23-2012, 10:32 AM
    TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by udienow
    I am going to go ahead and break this up and say a big fat no to the dyno tune. Total waste of money. The $500 can be spent in so many better ways. Wouldn't he benefit more HP changing out that flowmaster than a dynotune can provide? And you don't even track the car... so why you want to squeeze out a few extra HP? You would be blown away by what a stall can do to your auto, esp with the gears you have. You are losing more milage from those gears then you would from a 3600 stall. My point is, yes you would benefit from a dyno, but you are leaving so much better things out that would cost about the same.
    I definitely see your point. I only go to the track maybe once a year, and since it isn't a NHRA track, they don't give me a hard time about being a soft top. If I had a t-top car, I would be more into doing more mods like a stall and a cam, but being this is a cruiser, I just can't see myself going that direction just yet. The only reason I have a S60 is because the 10 bolt took a crap shortly after I bought it, I never even attempted to race with it. And when researching rear ends, the S60 was cheaper for me that even the 12 bolt or 9 inch. It was nice having Strange Engineering locally. But since I installed the intake and TB, it feels like I haven't gotten the full effect of the upgrade. I know it won't make much of difference compared to the LS6 intake, but it is better than the LS1 I had. I just want maximize the setup as I have it now, so I have a quick little cruiser that is running the best it can. I know a stall would make a huge difference in acceleration, but I hate driving them on the street. But I will also talk to the guys at SpeedInc and see what they say about this as well. Maybe the days of a small block with a 3000 stall with a TH350 with 4.10 gears out back turning 3000 RPM at 45 MPH have tarnished my view on this. I haven't driven a stalled LS1, so maybe it isn't so bad.
    Old 03-23-2012, 10:57 AM
    LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Exeodus
    Maybe the days of a small block with a 3000 stall with a TH350 with 4.10 gears out back turning 3000 RPM at 45 MPH have tarnished my view on this. I haven't driven a stalled LS1, so maybe it isn't so bad.
    It is NOTHING like that with an LS1 car. You can run a 4500 stall and still maintain stock cruising rpms once you reach lock-up (right about 45mph). Overdrive and lock-up make a huge difference in this regard. I would do a ~3500 stall for your current setup, even if you don't plan on a cam.

But there is nothing wrong with getting a dyno tune to maximize your current setup as much as possibile if you don't plan to mod further. With the intake and header mods, you'll definitely see some gains from a full tune.

You could also install a cutout in the current exhaust to pick up a bit more power for very little investment, if you wanted to.
    Old 03-23-2012, 02:37 PM
    The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Me personally, I don't think the hp per $ ratio is there for a dyno tune. Just get a mail order tune from Frost. $166 bucks, shipped. You have bolt-ons, and no internal mods.

Mail order > Dyno
    Old 03-23-2012, 02:50 PM
    TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
    Me personally, I don't think the hp per $ ratio is there for a dyno tune. Just get a mail order tune from Frost. $166 bucks, shipped. You have bolt-ons, and no internal mods.

Mail order > Dyno
    Let's remove the cost from the equation for a moment. Would you agree that while a mail-in tune would pickup power for me and dial me in better, wouldn't a dyno tune give me all that and a few more?
    Old 03-23-2012, 02:55 PM
    TECH Fanatic

Dude do not be afraid of a stall... it behaves like stock once its in lock-up and after a while you wont even notice its different when accelerating normally. Besides turning higher RPMs is not due to the stall... its due to the gears.

You keep mentioning speed inc... where in IL are you. I have a buddy with a 3600 stalled daily driven auto with a 3.42 gear... u need to see how that drives. I would be willing to bet it would change your mind on stalls. My friend turns ~2200 RPM @ 70 with that set up.