General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need to clean alternator internals

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to clean alternator internals

I had my AC on today, and noticed that the voltage was low (about 10 -11v while stopped, and even lower when the brakes were applied. It moved back up to 13 while in motion, but it did so slowly. Usual voltage on my car after warmup is a solid 14.5V. Due to a leak at my power steering reservoir I never seem to have time to diagnose (don't know if it's the reservoir, pump, seal, or line), my alternator looks dirty and oily. Obviously, the oil is finally taking it's toll on it. Ironically, I have the same problem in my maxima, but that one is from valve cover gasket that blew due to boost pressure.

Anyway, how do I go about cleaning the alternator? Use an engine degreaser and rinse, or use Maf cleaner (cuts away grease and dries within secs)?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

How many miles are on the alternator? You could try cleaning it, I'm not sure what's best to use because I have never done this, but it may just be worn out at this point and need to be replaced.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Although you could try cleaning it an alternator is not like an air filter just cleaning it probable won't help. Odds are if oil or water got in it there is internal damage and something is shorting out. Probable will have to replace it or rebuild it
Old 03-24-2012, 02:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ELectrical parts cleaner. It's a degreaser as well. I'll get a link up here in a minute
Old 03-24-2012, 02:56 AM
12 Second Club

http://www.drillspot.com/products/56...onic_degreaser
Old 03-24-2012, 02:58 AM
12 Second Club

It's expensive, but it beats a new alternator. We use it here at work to clean electric motors. We have a material handling system that uses ac motors attached to gear boxes full of fluid. Well the gear oil leaks past the seal sometimes and gets into The coils and **** of The electric motor. We just take it apart and spray it out with this stuff and it runs great.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:59 AM
12 Second Club

But make sure your battery is un hooked and the exciter wire is un plugged. All voltage has to be taken away from the circuit your cleaning.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome, thanks bww3588. I'll give it a shot on both cars. I CRC, the company that makes the product you listed also happens to make the Maf cleaner I used. Perhaps I can find it local.

What are the odds, if any, that the alternator can be cleaned if I use the spray on the surface, through the ventilation holes? Ive never opened an alternator or seen it's internals, therefore I was wondering just how complex it is (as far as number of parts inside). I would love to be able to spray through those holes rather than go through the hassle of pulling and replacing the alternator.

RPM, the bird is approaching 100k. The number of little things like that oil leak, that I've been putting off, are starting to pile up.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:02 AM
12 Second Club

I'd just try it from the outside. Spray it down and sit it upside down on the pulley so excess can drain out. Then let it sit overnight so it all evaporates. Then bolt it back up and let it eat.

Imo, it's worth a shot considering a new alt is 100 plus. And that stuff can come in handy so it wouldn't be a waste.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

Check an industrial electrical supply store. I doubt an auto parts store carries it.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:22 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Nothing wrong with giving the cleaning a try, it certainly can't hurt if it's already not charging properly. But with 100k, if it's the stock unit then it's probably on the way out no matter what you do now.

Good luck though.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is exactly what my alt. did when the voltage regulator in it went bad...... Worth a try to clean it and see what happens though....
Old 03-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

By Jupiters ****! On monday I started the car to go to work, and it did the new routine - low voltage until it was warm, and then the voltage increased. I started driving, and it very nearly shut off on me. After the 3rd of 4th time, I got pissed off, doubled back home and grabbed the water hose. I was planning to order the electronic degreaser that BWW recommended that monday. But since the problem had progressed (all within 2days) to the point of stalling, I figured the alternator was pretty much toast, and I would be wasting money and time waiting for the item to arrive.

I grabbed a can of Heavy duty engine degreaser and sprayed the entire can into the alternator and surrounding areas. The sway bar had baked on grease/grime. I let it sit for 15mins, and rinsed away. Fired it up 40mins later and watched the voltage slowly work its way back to 13V, and later 14V while in motion, although there were still some fluctuations. Later that evening, she was showing regular voltage under load which is about 14.25 or so, and hasnt stalled since. Ive probably added 120 miles since, and it runs perfectly. I only notice low voltage right after I start up, but I think thats the norm. It usually increases within secs after.

I'm not naive to think that I just restored the alternator to new-like condition, but based on how well it has responded in the last week, I think it should last for quite some time.

Now my maxima on the other hand has had the same procedure with the same spray done to it several times to no avail. It still reads 11v. I guess that one's just an old alternator and has to be replaced.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Sir Harmony
I only notice low voltage right after I start up, but I think thats the norm. It usually increases within secs after.
Actually, voltage should be at it's highest at a cold start, so this isn't really normal behavior. However, the issue now may be your battery, since it's been drained so much recently by the alternator issues. It may not be holding a charge as well as it used to, and putting a very heavy load on the alternator for those first couple seconds.

Does it seem to be cranking on the slow side at all?

Glad to hear that you're getting some more life out of the current alternator with just a simple cleaning though.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

By Jupiter's ****....I like that.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Actually, voltage should be at it's highest at a cold start, so this isn't really normal behavior. However, the issue now may be your battery, since it's been drained so much recently by the alternator issues. It may not be holding a charge as well as it used to, and putting a very heavy load on the alternator for those first couple seconds.

Does it seem to be cranking on the slow side at all?

Glad to hear that you're getting some more life out of the current alternator with just a simple cleaning though.

The battery is approximately 1 to 1.5 months old and was purchased from Costco after a deep freeze that prevented the vehicle from starting. Its a Kirkland battery. 1000CA if I remember correctly; same as the AC delco that was taken out. Perhaps this explains why it starts off lower.

On the other hand, I do have some warmup issues that are currently being sorted out - the air fuel mixture during startup may be a bit lean and I'm tuning to correct that. It fires up beautifully on the first crank (never more than a single crank), and plunges below 1k, then catches itself and surges to 1200 or thereabout. This happens a few times before it finally settles above 1k and slowly drops as temps increase. And no, I don't think its the IACV. Its the AF because I adjusted it around those figures, and it got better. The FAST 102 is one hungry manifold.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bww3588
By Jupiter's ****....I like that.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can clean it with brake cleaner & or engine degreaser then powerwash it.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

CRC Lectra-Motive is what I use to clean electrical parts. You should be able to find it at any auto parts store.

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05018-Lect.../dp/B000BXHWCA

Quick Reply: Need to clean alternator internals