Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Gauge cluster and radio not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Question Gauge cluster and radio not working

My buddy just picked up a 2001 T/A; the car seems to be in great shape save for a whine in the T56 and this issue with the Gauge cluster and radio.

First off, everything lights up and the only thing on the cluster that works is the Battery volts meter. The RPM, Speed-O, Digital Odometer, gas, oil, ect gauges do not work. As for the radio, the buttons light up, but the digital read out for the stations does not. The A/C lights up and works... well works is relative here, lol... it blows, but I guess it needs a charge

We checked the fuses that are at the driver side door and they seem good. Any idea of the problem?

Thanks guys!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder if the fuses under the hood could cause a issue? I had a friend who hooked up a buncha stereo crap in his truck and he lost all the dash lights and all kinds of crazy **** was going on. I don't know wtf he wired into. lol

Is the stock stereo in it still?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
Wonder if the fuses under the hood could cause a issue? I had a friend who hooked up a buncha stereo crap in his truck and he lost all the dash lights and all kinds of crazy **** was going on. I don't know wtf he wired into. lol

Is the stock stereo in it still?

Didn't think of checking under the hood. Yeah it's the stock stereo.

Thanks Bro!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

if your taillights are out too, its a fuse. as best as I can recall I blew the radio fuse once and my tails and gauge cluster were out. otherwise maybe a BCM issue? Best of luck figuring it out! Hoping it's a fuse for ya!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you by chance happen to replace or unhook your battery.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RacingTiger03
if your taillights are out too, its a fuse. as best as I can recall I blew the radio fuse once and my tails and gauge cluster were out. otherwise maybe a BCM issue? Best of luck figuring it out! Hoping it's a fuse for ya!

I never said anything about my taillights being out.

Everything on the gauge cluster, save for Batt Volt meter and the back lighting, does not work and as for the radio, the only thing that works is the back lighting. The digital read out on both the gauge cluster and radio does not works.

Hope that clarified it a bit
Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
Did you by chance happen to replace or unhook your battery.
The car sat for a while so I am sure the seller had the batt disconnected, but it was connected when we got there.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the battery has been disconnected for a long time the factory radio has a security feature built in that requires a 3 digit code entered into the radio.

My battery went dead and when I replaced it I had this same issue. I went to the dealership and they gave me a 1-800 number to call and you tell them the VIN and they tell you the code. I'm betting you could look in the owners manual for the phone #. Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Launching!

It may be a BCM problem, take a look at this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...blems-fix.html
Old 04-02-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
If the battery has been disconnected for a long time the factory radio has a security feature built in that requires a 3 digit code entered into the radio.

My battery went dead and when I replaced it I had this same issue. I went to the dealership and they gave me a 1-800 number to call and you tell them the VIN and they tell you the code. I'm betting you could look in the owners manual for the phone #. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, now I need to see about the gauge cluster
Old 04-02-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikey67
It may be a BCM problem, take a look at this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...blems-fix.html
Oh Christ I hope not!!! I HATE that BCM; it's the worst idea they've come up with!!! If that stupid thing fails, everything seems to follow right behind it, but you never know it's the issues till you burn through a Billion dollars having it diagnosed, lol...
Old 04-02-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Radio could be the leds have gone out.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
Oh Christ I hope not!!! I HATE that BCM; it's the worst idea they've come up with!!! If that stupid thing fails, everything seems to follow right behind it, but you never know it's the issues till you burn through a Billion dollars having it diagnosed, lol...
Don't sweat it, I had problems with my windows, radio etc. working intermittently. Read that BCM thread, it was an easy fix with a soldering iron. There were a couple cracked solder joints in mine that needed to be reflowed. It works fine now. Getting it out of the car was harder than the soldering. If you haven't found any bad grounds etc. it might be worth it to pop the BCM out and at least inspect the solder joints.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

I never said anything about my taillights being out.

Everything on the gauge cluster, save for Batt Volt meter and the back lighting, does not work and as for the radio, the only thing that works is the back lighting. The digital read out on both the gauge cluster and radio does not works.

Hope that clarified it a bit
Well, the reason I mentioned the tails would be something to check if you hadn't looked to see if they were working. It's not something we regularly think to check out . But ya know thinking back on it harder I think it was my gauge cluster LIGHTS that were out with the tails and not the actual gauges... it's been almost 8 years since that occurence though. Still hoping you can get it taken care of with a fuse, I agree taking the BCM out is a pain!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds to me like one of the fuses in the driver side panel. I had to take them out to reset my Monsoon deck because a CD was stuck in there, and I noticed when I removed the RADIO/ACCY fuse it would cause the panel to stop working save for the battery gauge, and I think the radio display stopped working as well. I would check that fuse again just to make sure it's seated properly and you have continuity through it.
The following users liked this post:
npj1966 (10-01-2019)
Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well my buddy figured it out. Something to do with fuses and a short in the harness.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:19 PM

Default Omg

Which fuse was it? I'm having same problem
Old 04-12-2012, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have no idea, but I will ask.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:29 PM
Teching In

I have no idea, but I will ask.
5 years later and somebody is waiting on a response lol. I have the same problem with my car how you fix it?
Old 04-10-2019, 06:29 PM

i have the same problem! what was the issue ?

Quick Reply: Gauge cluster and radio not working