General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

True duals with bullets on daily drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True duals with bullets on daily drivers?

Hey guys, those of you that have cammed cars, true duals with a bullet type muffler do you drive your car every day? What mufflers are you running, how bad is the drone... what are your thoughts. I am considering removing my home made axle back, and running bullet type mufflers dumped at the rear with a X pipe.

1st reason, I love that sound
2nd reason, I want the most power possible out of my setup, my tunner said my home made full exhaust it holding me back!

I have a kid and a wife, and right now the car is loud on the outside but pretty tame inside. Not sure how crazy it would get inside, but my wife does not get bothered by my loud cars, she's pretty used to it.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Launching!

I have a 604/596 lift cam with slp lt's and 3" td's with a magnaflow x and the longer dynomax bullets dumped before the axle. Its loud but I dont mind. the drone isnt horrible, but it has a sweet spot around 51-54mph at about 1700 rpm where its worst, but still not too bad. The car is very loud on the outside also, but it is what it is. I havnt had problems with cops either. Make sure you dont get turn downs, that will cause alot of reberberation. Try and get the tips to exit as parallel to the ground as possible. I'm sure your car has alot more sound deadening than mine does too so take that into account
Old 04-10-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a single bullet dumped off the Y, its pretty loud but not terrable.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ls2SilverBullet
I have a 604/596 lift cam with slp lt's and 3" td's with a magnaflow x and the longer dynomax bullets dumped before the axle. Its loud but I dont mind. the drone isnt horrible, but it has a sweet spot around 51-54mph at about 1700 rpm where its worst, but still not too bad. The car is very loud on the outside also, but it is what it is. I havnt had problems with cops either. Make sure you dont get turn downs, that will cause alot of reberberation. Try and get the tips to exit as parallel to the ground as possible. I'm sure your car has alot more sound deadening than mine does too so take that into account
Thanks, that dont sound bad... as long as the drone is not stupid loud all the time. I can deal with it in spots like I have now, that dont bother me much. My oldsmobile had a constant drone at all speeds, drove me crazy after a long drive and felt bad for my wife. But right now, the camaro is just not at the point of how I want it... the exhaust can make or break your car as far as feel. The tone and volume on the gas is great, but that lack of pure rumble is lacking.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had them pretty loud, but great sound, I went with cutout and catback after that b/c I live in apartments and cold starts in morning dont make for good freinds.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

I love the sound of my duals with bullets. I am running a 230 duration cam. Sometimes at startup is loud, but not a headache. It is the sound of pure bad *** muscle. There really isnt any drone.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have duals to bullets with my 240 cam = music. It's loud but sometimes I'm surprised how loud its not. I'm running no cats to bullets dumped before the axle and at a light, i'm shocked how the hustle and bustle of the city just soaks up the volume. WOT is another story but its nothing horrible either. Now get beside a semi and go hammer down with the windows down and your ear will ring.

I'm sure your 5th gen is alot more isolated then our 4th gens are as well.

In 6th below 2k I would say mine has some drone.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I dd'd my ms4 cam car with bullets welded to the end of the collector. Loud and miserable after anything over 20 minutes at cruising speeds. Around town, on and off the throttle, It wasent bad.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the replies, I think I might do the longer 18" bullets and dump it at the rear.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

I used to daily drive a ws6 with a cam and that TSP true duel kit... started with it dumped straight down, but later rotated it to a 45 degree angle... It might not be for everyone, but for me its like sex everytime I needed to go anywhere. I dont see how anyone can get tired of listening to their car...
Old 04-11-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

You'll see some gains over those flows for your
Old 04-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by notsue
I used to daily drive a ws6 with a cam and that TSP true duel kit... started with it dumped straight down, but later rotated it to a 45 degree angle... It might not be for everyone, but for me its like sex everytime I needed to go anywhere. I dont see how anyone can get tired of listening to their car...
x2 . I love DDing a loud cammed out car. It gets alot of positive attention and compliments, and I dont get bothered by cops for it either.

OP, as far as your flow I'm sure you will pick up alot. Non chambered mufflers and getting some 3" piping from Im guessing the cats will flow so much better
Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

That's good to hear guys, my tuner said my exhaust is junk! I did it myself in the garage and I have some ruff turns, not the best but all I could do myself for the time being. He said the same about the flowmasters too, so I am hopping to pick up a nice boost in power! I am gonna start saving and hopefully get this soon. Thanks guys, can't wait!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Go through with it yet?
Old 04-20-2012, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone ran bullets out to tips? I would like to have the Exhaust coming out of the back of my TA but will be running duals back to magnaflow bullets. Is the idea of running pipe from the bullets to the back for tips a bad idea?
Old 04-20-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

another vote for true duals to bullets here! my car has a 238/244 cam DD its all good in the hood overhere!

so far!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RyanAndyBob
Has anyone ran bullets out to tips? I would like to have the Exhaust coming out of the back of my TA but will be running duals back to magnaflow bullets. Is the idea of running pipe from the bullets to the back for tips a bad idea?
My old setup had a glasspack type muffler on it. It was 2.5 inch td's with a hpipe and 4 glasspacks (two on each pipe) out of 3 inch slp tips. Its not a bad idea at all, but I wanted something different and it saved me about 30-35 pounds. Tips out the rear will reduce interior noise and drone
Old 04-22-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran bullets for a whole weekend on my TD setup with x-pipe. TR224 cam. I loved the sound around town, BUT couldn't take the highway drone and loudness on cruise on the highway. Listening to music or talking to a passenger was near impossible. I went to 2 hi-flow mufflers which in all honesty you can see from end to end, but it made a world of difference.

Quick Reply: True duals with bullets on daily drivers?