General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Made a real newb mistake....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Made a real newb mistake....

Been busy as hell lately and wasn't paying attention. Ended up locking the keys in the car...before I try and wedge the window out a little and end up shattering the glass, anyone have any tips for my stupid action lol? BTW the battery is dead so I can't press the power lock switch. Does pulling the door handle unlock the lock? Thanks for any help guys.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

A hangar has worked for me in the past. Where are the keys specifically?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 PM

The ignition. I need to use a long thin flat head. Do you know if the door unlocks when you pull the handle?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JStragWS6
The ignition. I need to use a long thin flat head. Do you know if the door unlocks when you pull the handle?
Now what would be the purpose in having door locks if they would just open at the pull of your handle?

And 2), why haven't you tried your theory already? I'm sure the car isn't far...
Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS WON A4
Now what would be the purpose in having door locks if they would just open at the pull of your handle?

And 2), why haven't you tried your theory already? I'm sure the car isn't far...
he means the inside door handle.... and idk...lol I don't have a 4th gen anymore and don't remember
Old 04-25-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

When I worked at a shop and we did lockouts, and I did several Fbodies and thats how i did them was use a wedge and start it in the window till i could get a air bag to get a lil more room and used the a slim jim to pull the door handle open or slide the door lock to the unlock position.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

You might try prying the pass window open enough to get a wire coat hanger in there to pull the keys out of the ignition. Use a flat head with a t-shirt wrapped around it to pry open the window and stick a magazine or two in there to keep it open. This has worked for me on the 93 MR2 I used to have which also had doors in which the windows aren't encased in the frame of the doors. Sorry if this explanation doesn't make perfect sense. Wasn't quite sure how to word it lol.

Originally Posted by k_cash1432
When I worked at a shop and we did lockouts, and I did several Fbodies and thats how i did them was use a wedge and start it in the window till i could get a air bag to get a lil more room and used the a slim jim to pull the door handle open or slide the door lock to the unlock position.
This is def easier if you have the necessary tools.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 PM

I've locked my keys in my car a few times. I have power locks, so normally I just use a wire coat hanger and slip it though the corner of the window. With a few good tries I can push the button down and it unlock. In a pinch, i take my antenna off and use it to do the same thing.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by LS WON A4

There are many cars that do that. Don't want to risk shattering my window if it won't work rhat way.

Yea i'd be a ton easier if the danm battery wasn't dead. Thanks for all the help guys, from what I gathered, pulling the handle will pop the lock and if I can't get it that way, Ill try pulling the keys out of the ignition lol, might be too far away though.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cleverusername
I've locked my keys in my car a few times. I have power locks, so normally I just use a wire coat hanger and slip it though the corner of the window. With a few good tries I can push the button down and it unlock. In a pinch, i take my antenna off and use it to do the same thing.
I forgot to add that the same thing could probably be applied to pushing the lock.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Last time I left my keys in the car I just called my insurance company and they sent someone to pop the lock. Now I have 2 sets of keys, 1 for the car ignition and the other has the car door key on a separate ring with my house keys
Old 04-25-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wheres your other set of keys?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:48 PM

Only have one set. Making copy for the door after this lol.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

You don't need the copy for the door, take the door one off the ignition key set and put that with another set of keys once you get them out of the car. Use the key fob and ignition key on the same ring.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

My dumbass locked mine in my Z the other day. I just called a locksmith instead of screwing around and end up breaking something. It cost me $50 and only took him about 10 seconds. He put a wedge in the molding at the bottom of the window and used a specially bent rod to unlock it.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JStragWS6
Yea i'd be a ton easier if the danm battery wasn't dead. Thanks for all the help guys, from what I gathered, pulling the handle will pop the lock and if I can't get it that way, Ill try pulling the keys out of the ignition lol, might be too far away though.
Pulling the handle in an fbody wont acomplish anything, our handles dont have that function.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

I would straighten a coat hanger and push the lock switch if pulling the inside handle doesn't work. Also if you can't get it in with a coat hanger I know that advanced auto used to sell a tool for this
Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
You don't need the copy for the door, take the door one off the ignition key set and put that with another set of keys once you get them out of the car. Use the key fob and ignition key on the same ring.
And when the battery dies completely because he didn't buy batteries? Or it gets wet and doesn't work?

Originally Posted by kingd_202
Pulling the handle in an fbody wont acomplish anything, our handles dont have that function.
Finally...
Old 04-26-2012, 03:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have taken the antenna off of a car and bent the tip to a 90* angle. then i stick a prybar in the top of the window to hold it open while I work. I use some leverage on the antenna and force the unlock slider open. I did this like 4 times in the years I have owned 4th gens haha
Old 04-26-2012, 04:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it is a t top car, I'm surprised this thread even exists unless they are locked as well. Took me 3 minutes to pry The window away enough to pop the t top latch.