General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Might be buying my first LS1

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might be buying my first LS1

First post on lstech and today Im going to go check out a 2000 Trans Am it has 122k miles on it, the guy who I'm buying it from says he has had it garage kept since he has owned it. Long story short I was wondering if there should be anything in particular that I should be looking for on the car as problem areas etc. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Welcome to the site

The LS motors are some really good motors,122k miles really isn't that high for these cars and depending on how well it was maintained u can probably get another 100k out it.So if possible u should try and find out as much about the car as u can,knowing the history of the car is always good to know.Like with any car,u will have to replace/change parts after so many miles and years of use,just basic maintenance really.Go for a test a drive,look for any signs of trans slip,any unsual sounds,try to get an much info from the owner as u can.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Welcome aboard.

The LS motors are really good motors so as long as it isn't smoking or anything you should be fine. Just really check out the transmission, make sure it isn't slipping if its an automatic. If it's a 6 speed make sure its shifting smoothly and you may want to run it hard a few times and make sure the clutch pedal isn't trying to stick to the floor. Another thing is to listen for any noise coming from the rearend.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wicked 94TA
Welcome aboard.

The LS motors are really good motors so as long as it isn't smoking or anything you should be fine. Just really check out the transmission, make sure it isn't slipping if its an automatic. If it's a 6 speed make sure its shifting smoothly and you may want to run it hard a few times and make sure the clutch pedal isn't trying to stick to the floor. Another thing is to listen for any noise coming from the rearend.

this is perfect, esp. the rearend noise
Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 438 Likes on 317 Posts

Check every fluid and ask for a maintenance history. If the owner can't supply info or the fluids look 'rough', then pass. Also use Carfax as a useful tool in your purchase. Make sure the title is clean too. I feel the opposite of many posters all over this site. I would very rarely recommend an F-body with over 6 figures in mileage because too many things start to break down. They can become an endless 'money pit' and sour the ownership experience. I've owned these F-bodies for 16 years now and have an opportunity to save many inexperienced potential buyers from buying a mistake. Sure there are some good decent F-bodies out there with over 100,000 miles but they are few and far between. Many have been beaten and modded to near death. You really have to be careful, and even if you do find one, you better not pay one cent over $8,000 for one. You need to allow good $$ for repairs and needs within the first year of ownership, even on a good one. Sure you can live without a/c or torn seats or a bad power window or headlight but is that the car you really want to own? For some, it doesn't even matter. Only you can answer that question. Also if you need to sell the car, you will be hard pressed to find another buyer to give you $8,000 for the car. Keep that in mind. All cars depreciate but if hard pressed for money, it can be a serious issue. Good luck with your search!