General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Step forward or walk away

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Step forward or walk away

Hello. I am currently undecided on buying a a 2002 Z28. I would really appreciate any feed back or knowledge from you guy who are current owners. The car is 4hrs away so I have not sen in person. Looks very nice and clean in pics. According to the dealer the car has a clean car fax and is a 2 owner car. 2nd owner being a woman. The car has headers and maybe performance injectors per dealer. Odd to me for a woman owned vehicle. Not that it can't happen just not usual.
Okay now the reason I am undecided is the dealership says this in the ad: The ignition key doesn't always release easy and if the car is not firmly put into park the car will roll. It's a product of a worn mechanism in the column itself. It might be easier and more cost effective to replace the steering column with a used one. The dealer told me the car drives fine and shifts without issue. He also said he is not aware of any leaks or has seen any under car. I am hoping I can fix and have been looking for answers to what problem might be. I wonder if the two are connected like the park not engaging due to linkage or solenoid causing key to not be released. IF anyone has info on what it could be, difficulty or cost? Please respond. thx.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd walk away, learned my lesson with this before. Dealers will say anything to flip a car.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

they are called the stealership for a reason... keep researching something might come up but be weary
Old 04-29-2012, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol at "performance injectors"
Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by fccs
lol at "performance injectors"
that is what he said:
This Z28 however is equipped with the addition of performance stainless steel headers and performance injectors, giving it an additional measure of horsepower. All while still maintaining street legal status
IDK .
Old 04-29-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a headache to me.
It's not really that the car needs something simple like new seats & carpet...It doesn't like staying in park!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, injectors don't increase the performance of a car. The same amount of fuel goes into the motor. Why go for a car that has such weird, uncommon problems, that you'll have to pay to fix? If they're willing to tell you the car will roll in park, imagine what they're NOT willing to tell you about the car.. Get a car that is actually in good condition, inside, out, and mechanically. These are some big red flags, waving in full swing. Remember a car is a multi-thousand dollar investment. Would you invest in a company with a corrupt CEO and a faculty that doesn't get the job done?

The whole 'performance injectors' thing shows that they're obviously either not knowledgeable about cars, or trying to trick some poor guy into thinking he's got some fast ****. Another huge red flag.

And another side note, people say 'Well, the first owner was a woman' because they figure a woman will baby the car. While this is true, women tend to be less knowledgeable about cars, and generally don't give a **** about taking care of them. I'm not trying to be stereotypical, as I know a few guys on this website have found that magical thing called a car loving female, but we all know that what I said is true.. Don't pay attention to gender as much as people tend to. Pay attention to the condition of the car, that will tell you all you need to know.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 PM

Yes Well that is what I was hoping for that maybe they don't know it's just a linkage adjust a shifter handle spring. Maybe A BTSI (Brake Transmission Shift InterlocK) or just a solenoid that is not operating properly or making contact. I can do some repairs but don't want to get in to deep or lose a lot of $$$. I was hoping key issue and park not engaging are tied together due to one of the above.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 PM

I was hoping on someone having previous experience with issue and shedding a little light on what fix was..
Old 04-30-2012, 02:36 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My '97Z had the same issue with the key not coming out-the dealership claimed that they had to replace the lock cylinder and it cost about $300 back in '03. The fact that they're already suggesting that you tear the car apart (the whole steering column?!) just to get it right is a big turn-off to me...
Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 AM
On The Tree

how is the dealership even allowed to sell a car that "may roll"? Get them to fix it
Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

mileage/asking price?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94nismoformula
mileage/asking price?
Thats the question ^^^^^^^^ is it a deal or are they asking crazy money for something that needs work ....... if the car rolls away do they turn the wheel all the way so it wont and is that why the key sticks from the load of the wheels being turned and the shifter needs adjustment if it is this is a simple fix you need to go and look at the car and check it out good and see what up with it and dont act like they are simple fixes act like your going to have to spend money out of your pocket and slash the price on the car ....but if its not a great deal I wouldnt buy it.... because it could cost you cash to fix it he the trans could be junk parking paw all tore up ect.. and the key could cost you buck dealer has to program the key / set up
Old 04-30-2012, 07:51 AM

Silver 02 Z28 with appearance package
milage 100650

Last edited by EL-COBRA; 04-30-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

would never pay that much. for a car with issues, i picked up my 00z for 5 grand when i had it and it had some bolt ons around the same miles, in very good shape and had no issues. dealers are WAAAYYYYY overp priced. and with the car your looking at having issues i would stay away .
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by s10frank
how is the dealership even allowed to sell a car that "may roll"? Get them to fix it
Doesn't quite seem legal for them to sell a car with a known safety issue like this without fixing it. I'd keep looking for something else unless this one is dirt cheap.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are plenty of these cars out there. Unless they are willing to fix it, keep looking.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Coy
There are plenty of these cars out there. Unless they are willing to fix it, keep looking.
Totally agree. If you are willing to travel 4 hours for this car, then you will find plenty of better examples elsewhere.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 AM
On The Tree

What does your gut tell you.
Cross it off of your list and keep looking, I wouldn't be comfortable with it - but its not my call.
Good luck in your search man...