General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

orange debris sitting on either intake or exhaust side of the valves?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Exclamation orange debris sitting on either intake or exhaust side of the valves?

i just pulled the intake manifold off the LQ4 and tok a flashlight and peeked in on each of the valves and noticed on a select few-either only in the exhaust or intake valves orange debris sitting on them. i took a long slim screwdriver to see what it was and they just flake and crumble easily.

is this surface rust/moisture that settled in or from the truck's history use of gasoline that had methylcyclopentadieyl mixture that just settled after it was sitting? i havent pulled the heads nor the spark pugs yet but just curious if anyone faced this before and may know what the orange debris is? according to the wholesale/junk/salvage yard it was from a working/running truck and the motor recently ws removed a day prior to me picking it up this past friday.

i dont want to remove the heads unless i have to and if have to to verify then thats fine.

TIA
Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Question

pulled the heads off. i honestly dont know if i could just clean the heads and leave the block as is or what would be the thing to do here?

this was what Cyl 8 looked like looking in from the intake port

the wholesale yard said the motor was fired up before it was removed to know if it was labeled good motor or a core and it was labeled a good working motor and was pulled about 10 months ago and was stored in a heated warehouse. my initial thought was the moisture from the gas settled on the intake valves. not all of the intake valves looks like Cyl 8 but the exhaust valves looked fine. the plugs when i pulled them were lean and did have some orange discoloration.

i googled around and found something called methylcyclopentadieyl or MMT or MCMT that some gas station used as additive would cause orange build up as well in the motor. perhaps its hopeful thinking but those who know and with experience what are your thoughts and suggestions?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone?
Old 05-16-2012, 06:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what it looks like to me.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blade2222
That's what it looks like to me.
like which, the MMT or moisture+surface rust?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know what is going on, but you might have better luck by posting this in the internal engine section.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Moisture surface rust. The engine was sitting for a while. Regardless it's probably nothing to be worried about. Just clean it up when you put it back together.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the input. for the heads i'm going to get them pressure tested for leaks/cracks, valve job, and get them hot tanked then install new double springs/retainers/seals...for the piston and walls, i read i could use a non-abrasive scotchbrite and either use wd40 or trans fluid to clean the walls from the carbon build up. i was told from a few other forum members to leave them alone and when the motor's together again and running to just use seafoam. thoughts?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow thats dirty,id do a whole new rebuild if you have the funds.