General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

valve cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve cover removal

well i have a lt1 but this is sort of a noob question so i thought id post here.

so only under throttle my engine is making a sputtering noise definitely coming from passenger side of engine.
initially i thought is was either a valve/lifter or the bearings in a pulley or alternator were bad.
however putting my ear literally right next to valve cover while pressing on the throttle body lever im 90% sure its coming from under the valve cover.

my question is can i just take off the valve cover and run the engine without it on (just in park and reving it to help identify the noise)?

or if you have suggestions for me i'd be glad to hear them. i can probably even get a poor quality video from my iphone so you can hear what im talking about.

thanks in advance my friends
Old 05-16-2012, 02:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First of all, wrong place for this post.

To answer your question tho, removing the valve cover with the engine running will result in oil being sprayed everywhere.

Best bet is to remove it, without it running and do a visiual. You should be able to pinpoint the offending lifter, rocker spring combo.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:39 AM
Launching!

I remember back in the day we has deflectors that attached to the lifter so the engine could be run with the valve cover off. This was on an old SBC. I imagine it will work the same if you can find them. If you do run it, make it short otherwise it does make a mess with oil splattering around.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Launching!

heres a video. the noise is most prominate at the 7 second mark, but you can hear it when youre actually in the car alot easier. again, only under throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w35xK...ature=youtu.be