Go Back   LS1TECH > WELCOME TO LS1TECH > General LSX Automobile Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

General LSX Automobile Discussion
Non-technical LSX related topics.
Sponsored by
Stainless Headers
Click Here

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 05-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Teching In
1998 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 4
Default Does anyone know how to bypass the keychip security on a 98 camaro?

Hey everybody, i am having a problem with the security system on my 98 z28 camaro. Sometimes when i put the key in to start my car and turn it to the start position, the security light comes on and my car wont start. I have heard that there is a way to bypass it and that it might be illegal to do or something like that. But it is my car and im tired of having to go through the security cycle 2 or 3 times before it will start. If anyone knows how to help, please let me know. P.S. Im not opposed to bypassing everything and putting in a push botton start like the old school cars.
ReaperCrewZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
TECH Junkie
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 95
Send a message via AIM to ROCNDAV Send a message via MSN to ROCNDAV Send a message via Yahoo to ROCNDAV

Homemade VATS bypass box...
2002 SS Convertible -#2742 UMI SFC, LCA & C5 Brakes
ROCNDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

I think you can have your vats turned off with a tune.
1badSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic
2007 Volkswagen GTI
My Garage

Trader Rating: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badSS View Post
I think you can have your vats turned off with a tune.
Yes you can & if youre getting one anyway fine BUT getting a tune just to disable the VATS is the expensive way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCNDAV View Post
Never knew someone made a VATS bypass box so I read through some of it just to see & it might be inexpensive but IMO its much more complicated & more expensive than it needs to be. I have bypassed tons of these systems.
A list of all thats needed to bypass the VATS:

2 pkgs of resistors from Radio shack $2.00
1 soldering iron & some rosin core solder, $7.00 but no extra expense if you have one.
1 multimeter/ohmmeter to check the resistance of the pellet on the key. These range from $10 to $400 for a real good one, a cheap one will do but again no extra expense if you have one.
So if you already have the tools mentioned, $2.00 is all it will cost to bypass the VATS system.

Read the resistance of your ignition key with an ohmmeter by touching the leads on each side of the key pellet, make sure you have the range set to auto or from 100- 15,000 ohms which is the highest the resistor pellet made.
Once you have that reading you then make a resistor thats within + or - the pellet reading. This usually takes 2 different resistors soldered together. Example: If your key reads 1860 ohms then a resistor that reads from 1810-1910 ohms will work. Then remove the drivers trim panel below the steering wheel, theres a small 2 wire connector with 2 very small white wires going into the steering wheel area. Cut the 2 wires & solder your resistor you made with one end to each wire & your car should start every time.

The #1 failure with the VATS system is the 2 tiny wires like to break at the ignition cylinder for the key reader. Once this happens, the PASSKEY module cant read the key pellet & the car wont crank or start. Wiring the correct resistor in sends the PASSKEY module what it needs to see to allow starter & fuel enable. Its much cheaper than replacing the ignition cylinder & key & you pretty much wont have this problem again. Bad thing about doing this is now someone can break the column & steal the car easier.

2000 SS M6 SLP lid, SSRA, TSP 1 7/8 LTs & ORY, LS6 intake, TSP 228 cam, TFS 215s, Ford 42s, GMMG, Pro 5.0, Monster 3 clutch, QT Bell & Tick MC, HPTuners, MT DRs, SJM line lock, MWC fab 9 w/ 4.11s, UMI 3 pt SFCs & LCAs, Bilsteins & Stranos.
06 Chevy 1500 the sled hauler
99 GTP SOLD
07 GTI M6 Daily Driver
flintwrench69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
TECH Junkie
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Send a message via AIM to ROCNDAV Send a message via MSN to ROCNDAV Send a message via Yahoo to ROCNDAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintwrench69 View Post
Yes you can & if youre getting one anyway fine BUT getting a tune just to disable the VATS is the expensive way.

Never knew someone made a VATS bypass box so I read through some of it just to see & it might be inexpensive but IMO its much more complicated & more expensive than it needs to be. I have bypassed tons of these systems.
A list of all thats needed to bypass the VATS:

2 pkgs of resistors from Radio shack $2.00
1 soldering iron & some rosin core solder, $7.00 but no extra expense if you have one.
1 multimeter/ohmmeter to check the resistance of the pellet on the key. These range from $10 to $400 for a real good one, a cheap one will do but again no extra expense if you have one.
So if you already have the tools mentioned, $2.00 is all it will cost to bypass the VATS system.

Read the resistance of your ignition key with an ohmmeter by touching the leads on each side of the key pellet, make sure you have the range set to auto or from 100- 15,000 ohms which is the highest the resistor pellet made.
Once you have that reading you then make a resistor thats within + or - the pellet reading. This usually takes 2 different resistors soldered together. Example: If your key reads 1860 ohms then a resistor that reads from 1810-1910 ohms will work. Then remove the drivers trim panel below the steering wheel, theres a small 2 wire connector with 2 very small white wires going into the steering wheel area. Cut the 2 wires & solder your resistor you made with one end to each wire & your car should start every time.

The #1 failure with the VATS system is the 2 tiny wires like to break at the ignition cylinder for the key reader. Once this happens, the PASSKEY module cant read the key pellet & the car wont crank or start. Wiring the correct resistor in sends the PASSKEY module what it needs to see to allow starter & fuel enable. Its much cheaper than replacing the ignition cylinder & key & you pretty much wont have this problem again. Bad thing about doing this is now someone can break the column & steal the car easier.

This is true, and probably more common.

The circuit in the BCM does go bad too.

If the resistor doesn't fix the problem, you'll either have to replace your BCM, tune it out, or use the fix the in the first reply. There's a guy on eBay that sells the kit for like $14.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
TECH Resident
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 4

now would him getting a new key made help the situation or is the problem with the car not the key.....i justgotanew one madefor like 10 bucks at gm
Floorman279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
TECH Junkie
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorman279 View Post
now would him getting a new key made help the situation or is the problem with the car not the key.....i justgotanew one madefor like 10 bucks at gm

When I was dealing with my issues:
I tried a new key first
Next I tried a resistor and even cut off a plug from an old ignition switch, so the resistor could be unplugged if needed.
I finally tuned it out with HPTuners, but my Security light remains on.

I want to get a hold of an old BCM to look at the circuitry (before touching mine), it may be as simple as resoldering cold solder joints.

I, unlike most people, want to keep VATS working.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
TECH Fanatic
2007 Volkswagen GTI
My Garage

Trader Rating: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorman279 View Post
If the resistor is bad in the key (rare case) or if the pellet contacts are worn bad enough a new key could fix it. If the key reader wires are broke in the column a new key wont do any good.

Quote:
This is true, and probably more common.

The circuit in the BCM does go bad too.

If the resistor doesn't fix the problem, you'll either have to replace your BCM, tune it out, or use the fix the in the first reply. There's a guy on eBay that sells the kit for like $14.
Out of all the PASSKEY issues I have ran into, only 1 needed a BCM, that was in a late 90s Buick Century. All others had the infamous key reader wires broken. BCMs can & do go bad but its not often.

2000 SS M6 SLP lid, SSRA, TSP 1 7/8 LTs & ORY, LS6 intake, TSP 228 cam, TFS 215s, Ford 42s, GMMG, Pro 5.0, Monster 3 clutch, QT Bell & Tick MC, HPTuners, MT DRs, SJM line lock, MWC fab 9 w/ 4.11s, UMI 3 pt SFCs & LCAs, Bilsteins & Stranos.
06 Chevy 1500 the sled hauler
99 GTP SOLD
07 GTI M6 Daily Driver
flintwrench69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #9
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 14

Quote:
When I was dealing with my issues:
I tried a new key first
Next I tried a resistor and even cut off a plug from an old ignition switch, so the resistor could be unplugged if needed.
I finally tuned it out with HPTuners, but my Security light remains on.

I want to get a hold of an old BCM to look at the circuitry (before touching mine), it may be as simple as resoldering cold solder joints.

I, unlike most people, want to keep VATS working.
i have the same issue on my 95 trans am (tuned out with tunerpro but stays on, same wiht my traction control) and my 99 ss (no tune, car starts but light always on) and my 00 ws6 that has had the locks replaced. pulled the cluster on the ws6 so i could yank the bulb. HA! jokes on me as its an led soldered to the board. I wasnt ready to try and separate the rear board from the gauges and put it back in the car. waste of time grrrr
www.j4jps.com
cardomain stormy_69
stormy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:23 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1998, 2000, 2002, 98, bypass, camaro, car, fix, light, problem, remove, removing, resistor, security, system, z28