General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Will a lowered z28 drive on a Uhaul trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a lowered z28 drive on a Uhaul trailer?

I travel the country for work and bought a 1999 Z28 that I will at least be hauling back home to TX at some point. I have used the "drive on" Uhaul trailer in the past and was wondering if a lowered car will drive on it?

FWIW I built some ramps out of 2x12 (three stacked and staggered) and have used them to load my Viper on one but my ramps are back in TX. I also had to put 2 pieces of 2x12 under the front tires to clear the lip on the front of the trailer.

Has anyone used the "auto dolly" that you just drive the front wheels up on? My car is a M6 so that should not be an issue but I'm not sure what kind of ground clearance I would have under the rear. I would hate to grind the tips off the car hauling it to TX. LOL
Old 06-21-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats how I got my car home when I got it. Granted its not lowered but I had no problem getting it on the trailer. The clerance was actually good and we went over some big bumps and not hitting or rubbing.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BackNBlue
I travel the country for work and bought a 1999 Z28 that I will at least be hauling back home to TX at some point. I have used the "drive on" Uhaul trailer in the past and was wondering if a lowered car will drive on it?

FWIW I built some ramps out of 2x12 (three stacked and staggered) and have used them to load my Viper on one but my ramps are back in TX. I also had to put 2 pieces of 2x12 under the front tires to clear the lip on the front of the trailer.

Has anyone used the "auto dolly" that you just drive the front wheels up on? My car is a M6 so that should not be an issue but I'm not sure what kind of ground clearance I would have under the rear. I would hate to grind the tips off the car hauling it to TX. LOL
I suppose it depends on how low. If it were me, I would head to the hardware store and buy some more boards to make a nice approach for the trailer. No spending money while you've got what you need at home isn't awesome but the cost of the supplies is much better than repairs.

Whatever you do, Make it stable and attach every piece of wood together. Don't make a youtube vid.

Hell, be creative, If you can find a slope or hill that would make it easier to load the car, go for it.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Yeah when putting a lowered car on a trailer sometimes you have to get creative. Like black96 said, use your landscape to your advantage. I daily drove a lowered integra for a while and i had to trailer it home one time and it was a pain getting onto my trailer, even though it does have a dove tail. The 2x12s are a great idea and definitely wont make things harder for you. If i remeber correctly the uhaul trailer has straps that go over the wheels to secure the car correct? If it were me i would feel much better with finding a way to secure the body as well because the suspension will allow it to bounce and maybe beat something up on the body on the way home.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is VERY low and I use uhaul all the time to go to races.

First off, call uhaul and ask for the "Wide" trailer, it allows you to actually open the doors once the car is on it. (a lot of the new employees dont know what this is. Its a heavy duty model used for towing large trucks)

other than that, you will need a wood plank on the ramps to keep your nose from scraping

Quick Reply: Will a lowered z28 drive on a Uhaul trailer?