General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

oh god... oil in the coolant.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh god... oil in the coolant.

well, i'm just finishing up swapping heads on my ls1 car, and noticed today that there was a little oil in the coolant. is there a possibility this is just trash that was in the heads getting into the cooling system? the heads had oil in them, so i'm thinking it might have just mixed in with the coolant when i put them on. i took my time on the head gaskets/ heads. i torqued them down to spec, in the order that was specified. also used all new gm performance multilayer steel head gaskets, and head studs. oil isnt milky, and no white smoke from the exhaust either from what i can tell. i really hope it isnt time to pull the heads off again before i even got the car running this time.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

is there some way i could have just gotten oil in the coolant system during tear down? i havnt even driven the car except to the gas station about a mile away. the car is untuned, and wont even drive above 4000 rpms. i havnt beaten on it, or anything.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you change the oil after you swapped heads? If not you need to ASAP!!! When you tear heads off its impossible to not get coolant in the oil. So if you haven't changed the oil since the head swap that's normal and it needs to e changed.

If you changed the oil AFTER the head swap and now have coolant in the oil it's possible something got messed up along the way.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:37 AM
Staging Lane

yeah, i've already changed the oil. and theres no coolant in the oil. it has oil/trash in the coolant. i'm doing a leak down test today after work.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Teching In

Flush the cooling system completely. Refill, run the car, then see if you have any oil in it.

I would guess it is residual that got into the cooling system.

And you are saying you haven't taken the car above 4000 rpm, not that the car won't go over 4000 rpm right.