General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Looking to purchase 98-02 camaro...what to watch out for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 05:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to purchase 98-02 camaro...what to watch out for?

Hey guys,

Great site...and I'm in the market for 98-02 camaro, so what better place to gather info?

I'm starting vacation tomorrow, so I will be spending part of it going to look at a handful of potential candidates. Are there specific issues to watch out for when sizing these cars up? Is this year better than that year, are the newer ones a better base to start a build, etc, etc.

I also need to add that I have a 2004 6.0 LS1. Down the road I may build this engine, and replace it with the stock 5.7 Does it matter which year car I purchase? Are there pros/cons to a engine swap situation?

Thanks very much
Old 07-27-2012, 07:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This gets asked way to much lol, there is even a thread about this on the first page, here yah go
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...-used-car.html
Old 07-27-2012, 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,059 Posts

I think you will find this link helpful:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...questions.html

Contained within is a list of all the little differences between the model years, and a lot of basic info about these cars in general.

There is somewhat of an internet myth that the later models are vastly superior to the earlier models, and/or that their differences are exclusively improvements. My perspective on this, after personally owning a '98, '99, '00, and '02, is that this is untrue. There are certainly some small differences, and your personal goals and preferences will dictate how positive or negative or significant these differences actually are, but in general you will be best served to buy the nicest condition example you can find that offers the options that matter most to you (trim level, roof type, trans type, color, etc.) regardless of model year.