General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Shop dropped an exhaust valve, who's fault?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop dropped an exhaust valve, who's fault?

I have a 09' Z06 with headers, Stage 3 cams and CAI that was done 2 yrs ago. Ran fine. Took it back to the same shop to install new cat back system and Fast intake and a re-tune.
Got a call today that while on the dyno it dropped an exhaust valve. They are not going to cover it because it's a stock part they never replaced so not their part to cover.
Just wondering are these motors proned to this or could this be a case of just bad tuning on the shops end.
So which direction would you go now? Who pays for what? Who's responsible for what? What kind of compensation would you ask for?
Then what to do with the car?
Crate motor? Short block with aftermarket heads?
It's just a dinner car, not a track car.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Well if they put a bigger cam in and didn't change springs when it was done it would be their fault. But you said that it was done 2 years ago so idk if it can be anyone's fault anymore. Hate to say it but you might be paying for a new engine yourself. There are turnkey create ls7s out there for $8kish. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Yes the cam change was 2yrs ago. This was only an intake and cat back install with a new tune.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a notorious problem with LS7 engines. Some shops change the exhaust valves as part of the cam change. I think the best you could hope for would be for them to cover the labor.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hate to say it, man, but to be honest, if you rolled around for two years on the same springs with a cam in there, stock or not, I'd say it's probably on you. I know it sucks, but that's what I'd say. Springs become a wear item with a cam, unless it's a really small one.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes those valves break quite a bit. It is a 2-pice valve and subject to breaking. Not something you can blame the shop for.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd say it's on you. Running around for 2yrs on an aftermarket cam with stock springs wasn't a good idea.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if that part shouldve been chANGED OR UPGRADED ID SAY THERES some liability.

good luck getting anyone to accept responsibility though.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
if that part shouldve been chANGED OR UPGRADED ID SAY THERES some liability.

good luck getting anyone to accept responsibility though.
I'm going to go off of the "stage three camS part of the post and say that maybe proper upkeep was a contributing factor. Hell, even WITH aftermarket springs in, two years' worth of miles would have them pretty damned fatigued with what I'm assuming is an aggressive cam profile.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt really blame the shop. It sucks, but it is a somewhat common issue with those engines and the car was modded...

Good luck though man.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just can't believe this shop installed a cam without advising you to change the springs. I would assume with stage 3 being more aggressive than 1 and 2.

Two years is along time for an aggressive cam to wear any valvespring. So someone might say your kind of dropped the ball there. If you wanted a low/maintenance free cam there are options out there for that.

It's not the fact that they say its not their fault it dropped a valve. But them not advising you of the best route 2 years ago could have (emphasis on COULD) maybe prevented this . Might be time to consider a new shop.

Although it could have had nothing to do with the valve letting go, Brian and Todd B have both said its a weak valve by design.

Either way I think its your pocket that is going to be needing the extinguisher after all is said and done.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a friend with a modded Z06 that dropped a valve in idle while in neutral waiting at the traffic light, should i blame my friend, or should i look at GM for the culprit?

Corollas have better valves than that!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by roninsonic
I'm going to go off of the "stage three camS part of the post and say that maybe proper upkeep was a contributing factor. Hell, even WITH aftermarket springs in, two years' worth of miles would have them pretty damned fatigued with what I'm assuming is an aggressive cam profile.
lol i always try to give benefit of the doubt.

this has me concerned though my springs were recently inspected by a reputable shop that knows their ****.

but they absolutely should be inspected regularly with any type of aggressive cam(s) LOL
Old 08-14-2012, 07:55 PM
9 Second Club

I think I heard from someone at Speed Inc that they don't allow the Z06's to even get on the dyno because of the problems with dropped valves during dyno tuning.
If you do a search in google for "Z06 dropped valve" the hits are incredible. Load of folks having the problem. During idle, cruising in 6th at 60MPH, etc.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

What exactly is a "stage 3 cam "?owned my own shop for a while been in the biz for 23 years.theres no way I'd cover that especially after two years.the high performance game is costly .when you go outside the engineers intended usage ,throw all the rules away.the stock valve train was intended to be used with stock parts.,but people mix and match all the time,if it's prone to break stock well I can promise you if you stress it more it will surely break sooner.some people get lucky,that's goes to everyone who's gonna say they run stock springs and pushrods and all that.but it's luck and they will eventually fail if pushed beyond its capabilities.hard lesson but you usually only learn it once.